• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I never knew the guy was a problem until last night and I was not getting quality books. I was getting recent IMAGE stuff at market value.

It's pretty hard to keep track off all the shenanigans going on and who can't be trusted. At least you didn't get ripped off.

Guys,

I have been a member of this board for many years and have purchased ample items from the selling board. I have never had one problem with anything I purchased. I love this site and I’m very impressed with 99% of the people who post here. Last night I had my first bad experience purchasing an item and I wanted to let everyone know what happened. I made a deal with Symbiotic for 10 Image #1’s for $78 shipped.

Later that night while I read the boards I noticed that he was on the probation list and I notified him that I had problems dealing with him because of this. I told him that since I had made a deal with him that I would honor it but I wanted him to send me the comics first. If I received what was promised I would immediately send him the funds. At the time I did not want to do this but I felt that since I made a deal I should honor it.

After a couple more emails I was notified this morning that Symbiotic wanted to change the deal. Instead of me receiving 10 comics he was going to cut it back to 8 plus he was going to raise the price. When I questioned him on this he responded with the following:

sorry to re-nig Ray but after looking at the prices of these books I'd literally be losing hundreds with this sale. my reputation here is already *spoon*, so my apologizes likely mean nothing but i am sorry we couldn't work this out.

What’s really funny about this is he kept telling me how he was wrongly accused and he was the subject of a witch hunt. He promised me that he was a top notch seller and that I would receive the comics promised in 2 days’ time. One more thing every time I read our email chain his email chains were disappearing. I think he deleted 4 or 5 of them. I have never seen anything like this in my entire life and I wanted to let you guys know. Truly classic stuff.

And we come full circle, I think this was the first time that Symbiotic showed he was a wrong un, when he did something very similar to me. SGT Fury, Price doubles after :takeit:

So just to be clear my HoS nomination hinges on me using the wrong picture in my thread for HFH1?

Not arguing, I was in the wrong, but is this truly worthy of me not being able to partake in this board anymore. I've made plenty of legit sales to happy customers. Sure I've rubbed many the wrong way, but I've done my best to right my wrongs, and will continue to strive to be better.

If the poll is a landslide and everyone wants me gone, I'll leave no problem. But otherwise is it that bad for me to sell books at good prices to those who are interested, and those who despise me can just ignore me?

I've never once cheated anyone out of money, I'm the first to refund if the customer doesn't like the product. I've even offered on many occasions to ship books without payment, and after the buyer judges that they like the slab they can pay at their own leisure.

Anyways that's my spiel. Don't know what else I can say. I'm sorry for uploading the wrong image of a book with a different page quality, I have many saved images only desktop and I simply made a horrible mistake. Lets remember no one bought the book.

images_zps2b684d53.jpeg

Maybe I missed something, but I'll play devil's advocate on this most recent infraction:

He used an eBay picture as a "stock photo" because he had no scans available. Being primarily a modern collector, he:

- paid attention only to the number and not the PQ when selecting an image (when does PQ ever come up with moderns?).

- did not think a "stock photo" would be a problem. With moderns, you're typically dealing with 9.8s and the general feeling is that a 9.8 is a 9.8. What's the difference if it's the same exact copy or not? Plenty of sellers sell multiple copies of the same 9.8 modern using the same scan.

- did not realize that when dealing with non-modern books, people tend to "buy the book, not the grade". An actual image when dealing with an older book, especially one that is not a 9.8, is important to most.

I have nothing to say about his previous infractions, but I believe this one was just sloppiness or ignorance and that there was no intent to deceive. I think if this were a modern in 9.8 and if this was someone else, we wouldn't have an issue.

Why provide a photo at all then? Why not just say it's a CGC 9.8 but I can't get an image up right now?

I never knew the guy was a problem until last night and I was not getting quality books. I was getting recent IMAGE stuff at market value.

That's the problem with a guy who games our Probation List like Symbi did.

Screw people over, lie, and push the limits until he gets caught and then wail and moan about what a horrible mistake he's made until he's removed from the list and allowed to repeat the cycle.

You are very lucky you didn't send him any money.

I think anyone who has ever been on the probation list should probably have a permanent asterisk added to their user name or something.

:gossip: There's a whole thread about it in Comics General. Already updated the post. ;)

Screw people over, lie, and push the limits until he gets caught and then wail and moan about what a horrible mistake he's made until he's removed from the list and allowed to repeat the cycle.

I think anyone who has ever been on the probation list should probably have a permanent asterisk added to their user name or something.

I suggested something like that awhile back...I was told that marking someone with a scarlet letter isn't fair..that if a person made the offended party whole, they're removed from the PL and considered to be clean.

I'm not against giving second chances, but we've seen too many people game the system for my liking 2c

I suggested something like that awhile back...I was told that marking someone with a scarlet letter isn't fair..that if a person made the offended party whole, they're removed from the PL and considered to be clean.

I'm not against giving second chances, but we've seen too many people game the system for my liking 2c

I think what we need is a minimum sentence. Work your way on the list and you can get off 3 months from the date of restitution. And If they want to participate in the market place during their 3 month post-restitution period, that would be fine but the name stays on the list.

Something like that

Either way, the probation needs to gravitate in some way back to being a warning system rather than a really loud way to say GIMME MAH MUNNIEZ

I haven't caught up yet, but I just wanted to officially retract any statements made in an attempt to justify Symbiotic's latest incident. I try to live by the statement "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence", but I've since learned that one can be both malicious and incompetent.

Yeah, a while back I went through the PL history and posted a summary that showed boardie names with dates they were added and removed from the PL - that summary itself was perceived as yet another "bad list", and all hell broke loose...

Yeah, a while back I went through the PL history and posted a summary that showed boardie names with dates they were added and removed from the PL - that summary itself was perceived as yet another "bad list", and all hell broke loose...

Doing that is good, but surely not adding an asterisk.