• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Any suggestion about how to get someone to respond to a PM about a book he committed to buy in a PM? I have sent an invoice. He has read the invoice, has had recent activity on the board. Has not responded at all.

Dale - do you have a link to how the sale was posted here?

Regardless, send Sammy a PM telling him you will be posting the PM contents here. Give it as long as you feel is fair but I would not go over 3 days (sooner is fine if you feel that is fair.)

Then, if nothing comes of the PM, post the whole PM thread here.

I'm not sure what you mean a link to how the sale was posted.

The item in question was the cover to Captain America Comics #16, not original art, but full front and back cover. The item was listed for $500.00 in my sales thread. He shot me a PM about Schomburg books, I responded saying there would be some listed in the thread, yada yada. A day or two later he asks if I would do $300.00 on the Cap cover. I told him I had already turned down a larger offer. We talked a little more, before he said if you will do $400.00, I will take it. I responded by accepting the offer.

At the end of the thread, I sent him an invoice and he didn't respond for a week. At that time, I sent a bump. Still no response. After another week, I sent another PM asking specifically for some sort of response. He replied saying I cannot buy the book due to lack of funds. I told him he needed to try to pay me, or I would put him on the probation list. I then did a quick search and found that he had posted about having money to spend at the upcoming London Super Convention, and also bragging about a Daredevil #1 he had just purchased. He then responded by saying he had money for books from decent sellers. That pretty much ended the conversation, until I sent him the probation PM.

I can copy the PMs to all of this if needed.

Any suggestion about how to get someone to respond to a PM about a book he committed to buy in a PM? I have sent an invoice. He has read the invoice, has had recent activity on the board. Has not responded at all.

Regardless, send Sammy a PM telling him you will be posting the PM contents here. Give it as long as you feel is fair but I would not go over 3 days (sooner is fine if you feel that is fair.)

The item in question was the cover to Captain America Comics #16, not original art, but full front and back cover. The item was listed for $500.00 in my sales thread. He shot me a PM about Schomburg books, I responded saying there would be some listed in the thread, yada yada. A day or two later he asks if I would do $300.00 on the Cap cover. I told him I had already turned down a larger offer. We talked a little more, before he said if you will do $400.00, I will take it. I responded by accepting the offer.

At the end of the thread, I sent him an invoice and he didn't respond for a week. At that time, I sent a bump. Still no response. After another week, I sent another PM asking specifically for some sort of response. He replied saying I cannot buy the book due to lack of funds. I told him he needed to try to pay me, or I would put him on the probation list. I then did a quick search and found that he had posted about having money to spend at the upcoming London Super Convention, and also bragging about a Daredevil #1 he had just purchased. He then responded by saying he had money for books from decent sellers. That pretty much ended the conversation, until I sent him the probation PM.

lol People can be infinitely ridiculous.

It shows he read it.

And here, he's asking G.A.Tor when he'll be having his next sale. And this post was from this morning. :facepalm:

:facepalm: If only a mans word was his bond.

I won't go into details, but recently I was faced with a choice of A) honor a deal I made to a boardie or B) back out and buy the book on Ebay for 30-60% less than the deal I made.

A deal is a deal, even when it costs you money - that's just the way it goes. You give your word and you see it through - it's not 'optional'. I like to think lots of people on the boards think like this, and even go through these situations frequently - it's just that we always hear about when people don't think like this and they cause a problem.

I would say no need to post the PMs unless he comes here and disputes your version of events. If he doesn't respond within 48 hours to your PM notifying him of your intention to put him on the PL, then on to the list he goes.

Thanks for the extra info Dale. Looks like it was the Page 8 item listed here:

Cap 16 Cover Only

Please give it 72 hours from the time you sent the PM about Sammy being submitted for the PL. After that, if no reply, lettuce know and he can be added since he, at this point, decided against going through with it.

A deal is a deal, even when it costs you money - that's just the way it goes. You give your word and you see it through - it's not 'optional'. I like to think lots of people on the boards think like this, and even go through these situations frequently - it's just that we always hear about when people don't think like this and they cause a problem.

+1

When you commit to buy anything on these boards you should have the cash on hand. Not try and think of a way to come up with it after you do the deal. If you don't have it, then discuss some kind of a payment option with the seller through a P.M. only.

I think a lot of us at times are short of liquid money and we see something we like. I had to pass on two books I need last night. When I beef up my comic money, I'll go after them. When I buy something, the money is in the mail in a day or so, case closed.

No one wants to hear the endless excuses of this or that, after you commit. Don't have the dough, keep you're finger off the trigger.

And on a last note, Dale is one of the easiest guys to deal with, on the boards, or at a show. Its that Watson you have to look out for. lol

Original Probation List PM was sent at 01/20/14 01:08 PM

I have had no response. I think we could safely add him at this point.

Did you have an alarm clock waiting for the 72 hrs to be up lol . The still posts as if there was never a pm or anything worth saying... he is clearly a classy guy. Prob saved yourself a headache down the road regardless.

Original Probation List PM was sent at 01/20/14 01:08 PM

I have had no response. I think we could safely add him at this point.

Dale, you should PM Sammy and let him know he's on the PL now. Maybe that'll be enough to bring him to his senses.

Question.

So now that Sammy is on the list, can Dale sale the books or does he have to wait and see if Sammy wants to get off the list by completing the deal?

Fretting too much about how one gets off the PL is a bit of a trap. I'd say Dale's free to sell the comic(s), and if Sammy wants to make good, how he does so is between the two of them.

There is 0 obligation for Dale to keep the book regardless of if Sammy wants it or not.

If Sammy wants to get off the list it is up to him and Dale to reach an agreement (often suggested a donation to a charity or similar).

There is 0 obligation for Dale to keep the book regardless of if Sammy wants it or not.

If Sammy wants to get off the list it is up to him and Dale to reach an agreement (often suggested a donation to a charity or similar).

Yep :applause: