• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

This should act as a warning for those who buy mystery boxes.

The sellers of mystery boxes are trying to unload bulk in a cost effective manner. Individually the books might be worth a few bucks each bringing the overall value well above the price they are being offered at, but really they are just a large quantity of mediocre books being sold quickly.

The buyer under the allure of buying something valued well above the price they would purchase the mystery box for believes that they are getting a bargain. They have no power to control the contents and shouldn't assume that they will be satisfied even if the overall value is higher than the purchase price.

The problem is compounded when the seller offers 1 uber prize to randomly be inserted into one of the boxes. In reality the relatively high probability of having the prize in your box acts as a further enticement.

Which, essentially, is a scam.

Scammer uses a $500 book, let's say, as an enticement to buy mystery boxes, one of which will contain the prize book

Lists the mystery boxes at $50 or more each and lists 20 boxes or more in the "contest".

19 contain junk. Scammer is well into profit (doubling his potential of simply selling the $500 book. 19 people get shafted.

Edited by ciorac

Ciorac, while I more or less agree, the numbers seem off. Using your example, the scammer is no better off, because he could have sold the book for $500 but he gets 10X 50 so either way he gets $500. More realistic is listing a $500 book as the chase book and setting the price at $75 or $100 a box and selling 10 boxes. In that situation not only does he get rid of his "junk" books but he also sells the book for $250 or $500 more than he could have gotten for the book on its own.

Ciorac, while I more or less agree, the numbers seem off. Using your example, the scammer is no better off, because he could have sold the book for $500 but he gets 10X 50 so either way he gets $500. More realistic is listing a $500 book as the chase book and setting the price at $75 or $100 a box and selling 10 boxes. In that situation not only does he get rid of his "junk" books but he also sells the book for $250 or $500 more than he could have gotten for the book on its own.

You are correct, I meant to type 20 mystery boxes @ $50 netting him a grand, and dumping a ton of drek along the way

I am considering doing a legitimate mystery box for no other reason but to restore a good name to mystery boxes. When done right (see shadroch) they are really great for both buyer and seller. Unfortunately they are just not being done right often enough.

I am considering doing a legitimate mystery box for no other reason but to restore a good name to mystery boxes. When done right (see shadroch) they are really great for both buyer and seller. Unfortunately they are just not being done right often enough.

Do it!!! :)

Do it!!! :)

+1 but include international shipping ;)

If you could make me an Atlas Mystery box, I would buy it. :foryou:

If you could make me an Atlas Mystery box, I would buy it. :foryou:

+1 to that also :grin: