• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Back in January I PM'd Theo and told him that I had 11 DD's blanks in NM/MT condition after I saw his post in the Comic Market-Want to buy forum.

This is exactly what he posted:

I'm after the Daredevil 1 blank cover variant (2011 Mark Waid), as many as you have. Thanks!!

Not that it matters, but, he never in his post or in his PM's mentions that he was looking for NM/MT only.

It didn't matter to me, because all of my DD blanks are in NM/MT condition. In fact, I've been hoarding blanks for the last 8 years. I've had between 15 to 30 of each blank. I can easily say that 95% of my blanks are NM/MT condition with the rest NM plus at best.

That being said, Theo offered me $100 plus shipping for the 11 blanks. I politely declined. He then ask me how much was I looking for the blanks. I told him that I had a pending offer for $200.00. He wished me luck with the sale and thanked me. Four days later he asked me if the deal was done. I told him that it was pretty much a done deal.

On March 5th I sent him a PM and asked him if he was still looking for DD blanks.

He replied "Maybe. How much and how many?"

I told him 11 for $200.00 shipped.

He replied that he had already picked up a few, but that he would take 5 for $15.00 each if they were in high grade. He also said that he would cover shipping to the UK.

I told him the best that I can do was $17.00 each plus he covered shipping to the UK.

He agreed and I shipped off the books in a hard cardboard Comic Book Flash Mailer box that can hold up to 10 books. I double boarded each book and placed them between 2 pieces of hard cardboard that is included inside the box.

A couple of days later he receives the books and claims that 3 of the 5 blanks were not top end copies and provides me the same photo that he posted here.

I told him that those were not the books that I shipped him and that I am very meticulous about my books and that I double check them to make sure that they were in NM/MT condition. I also told him him that I have sold many blanks to other board members here in the same condition and never received a single complaint.

I then told him that maybe he mixed my DD blanks with the others that he had already bought.

He replied that he would never swap them and that maybe they were damaged during transit. I asked him if the box was damaged.

He told me that there was no damage to the box and that he would either return the books for a full refund including shipping charges, or a partial refund and keep the books or I had to replaced the 3 books that were not up to par.

I told him that I shipped him NM/MT books and that since the box wasn't damaged, I couldn't understand how the books ended up with stress marks.

Either way, I told him that he should file a claim with the USPS since I insured the books for $85.00.

Come on, dog. That argument is pitchy

Just accept the return. I foresee a lot of updated lists from this one

Books can get damaged within a box, even if the box is not damaged, if the books are able to shift within their bags or if the bags are able to shift within the box. Not saying that happened, but a damage free box does not mean the books were not damaged in shipping.

Back in January I PM'd Theo and told him that I had 11 DD's blanks in NM/MT condition after I saw his post in the Comic Market-Want to buy forum.

I'm after the Daredevil 1 blank cover variant (2011 Mark Waid), as many as you have. Thanks!!

Not that it matters, but, he never in his post or in his PM's mentions that he was looking for NM/MT only.

It didn't matter to me, because all of my DD blanks are in NM/MT condition. In fact, I've been hoarding blanks for the last 8 years. I've had between 15 to 30 of each blank. I can easily say that 95% of my blanks are NM/MT condition with the rest NM plus at best.

That being said, Theo offered me $100 plus shipping for the 11 blanks. I politely declined. He then ask me how much was I looking for the blanks. I told him that I had a pending offer for $200.00. He wished me luck with the sale and thanked me. Four days later he asked me if the deal was done. I told him that it was pretty much a done deal.

On March 5th I sent him a PM and asked him if he was still looking for DD blanks.

He replied that he had already picked up a few, but that he would take 5 for $15.00 each if they were in high grade. He also said that he would cover shipping to the UK.

I told him the best that I can do was $17.00 each plus he covered shipping to the UK.

He agreed and I shipped off the books in a hard cardboard Comic Book Flash Mailer box that can hold up to 10 books. I double boarded each book and placed them between 2 pieces of hard cardboard that is included inside the box.

A couple of days later he receives the books and claims that 3 of the 5 blanks were not top end copies and provides me the same photo that he posted here.

I told him that those were not the books that I shipped him and that I am very meticulous about my books and that I double check them to make sure that they were in NM/MT condition. I also told him him that I have sold many blanks to other board members here in the same condition and never received a single complaint.

I then told him that maybe he mixed my DD blanks with the others that he had already bought.

He replied that he would never swap them and that maybe they were damaged during transit. I asked him if the box was damaged.

He told me that there was no damage to the box and that he would either return the books for a full refund including shipping charges, or a partial refund and keep the books or I had to replaced the 3 books that were not up to par.

I told him that I shipped him NM/MT books and that since the box wasn't damaged, I couldn't understand how the books ended up with stress marks.

Either way, I told him that he should file a claim with the USPS since I insured the books for $85.00.

I have a feeling this is one of those situations where both parties are telling the truth to the best of their knowledge as far as the comics go. Somewhere a mistake happened. Either wrong books were shipped, or something happened in shipping that damaged them. This seems like an easy fix. Accept the return and issue a refund, or see if he would accept a partial refund. Its not enough money to ruin reputations.

Did you actually call him a liar and accuse him of switching the books though? If so, I could see that raising a few eyebrows here especially if the buyer has never given anyone a reason to not trust him. It seems to be the opposite in fact.

Hopefully you guys can work this out without public (or private) lists needing to be updated.

It's your job to chase USPS as the seller, not his.

Did he call me a liar?

49a72048e90730ab9fced9e54412cd0c_zpsv7lug6vk.jpg

I called you a liar after you claimed that I tried to deceit you by sending you sub-standard books and hoping you wouldn't notice or complain. After I clearly told you that wasn't the case.

So who fired of the first shot?

I dispute the fact that I didn't tell him I wanted NM books. In his 4th sentence down he says I didn't ask.

Proof, screen shot of our PM.

a2aae840b3beb867caf932471abccf65_zpsn6wnef8v.jpg

I never said NM. I wrote NM/MT, NM is 9.4 and NM/MT is 9.8. That's a big difference.

Again, it doesn't matter to me since I shipped you NM/MT books.

It's your job to chase USPS as the seller, not his.

I agree, although I wasn't aware of that. I thought the buyer had to make a claim. I will contact the USPS on Monday.

For what it's worth, I know Theo (Comicshrine), I've met Theo and I've done business with Theo. He has not once given me cause to question his honesty or integrity.

Theo has thought long and hard before posting his problems here and at one point was seriously considering just walking away to save the aggravation.

I will stake my life on Theo's honesty in this matter.

Nick you and I go way back, although I don't know Theo from a hole in the wall, I trust your judgment completely. If I can't get any resolution from the USPS, I will gladly issue Theo a partial refund for the 3 books.

I dispute the fact that I didn't tell him I wanted NM books. In his 4th sentence down he says I didn't ask.

Proof, screen shot of our PM.

a2aae840b3beb867caf932471abccf65_zpsn6wnef8v.jpg

I never said NM. I wrote NM/MT, NM is 9.4 and NM/MT is 9.8. That's a big difference.

Again, it doesn't matter to me since I shipped you NM/MT books.

You said the books were 9.8's or better. While I wouldn't dispute that they may have been when you sent them, they aren't now. If they really were 9.8's as you described then they've got damaged during shipping and the postal service is liable. Theo is unable to claim for compensation from them so it's down to you to refund (or come to a mutual solution with Theo) and claim for damages yourself. That's a basic for anyone selling online.

You escalated the whole thing by blatantly accusing him of dishonesty. His suggestion that they possibly might not have been 9.8's originally was not blatantly accusing you of dishonesty. It's not uncommon for someone to miss defects when selling so an assurance that they were as described and must have been damaged in transit could've saved things turning confrontational rather than insisting that he was trying to scam you.

Your story is not convincing me at all.

Theo wouldn't switch these books and if he says they weren't damaged in shipping then you sent him books in less than proper condition.

Return his money and call it a day.

And it is the seller responsibility to file the claim.

Refund his money and you wait for the refund from the shipping service.

Calling Theo a liar was uncool. I'd expect more from someone who has been here so long.

Edited by Mark 1

For what it's worth, I know Theo (Comicshrine), I've met Theo and I've done business with Theo. He has not once given me cause to question his honesty or integrity.

Theo has thought long and hard before posting his problems here and at one point was seriously considering just walking away to save the aggravation.

Nick you and I go way back, although I don't know Theo from a hole in the wall, I trust your judgment completely. If I can't get any resolution from the USPS, I will gladly issue Theo a partial refund for the 3 books.

We do, and I hope the pair of you can work this out with no fall out. :foryou:

Why make him wait? Sounds like you are going to refund him either way.

I could of just froze the money by putting a paypal claim, but didn't want to because I really enjoy theses boards and the people I interact with and hoped things when brought into the light could be resolved.

It shouldn't matter if you knew me or not, I had 1 post or 10,0000, or the fact that reputable boardies have stuck up for me.

I was easy to work with about about making amends. From this I would still like to keep the 2 decent copies as I would like them for an upcoming sketch opp.

But the main thing, is an apology and to remove the slur that I switched them. Reputation is everything in our hobby and I can't think of anything worse to be accused of, because otherwise how will any seller trust you?

Not that I have anything against sellers, and that yes, while sellers have to put up with some outrageous buyers, and sometimes justice must be done, this instance isn't really the case here.

A seller who cannot promptly or simply deal a refund for this amount .... ah I dunno.

Then a back and forth, who's right, who's wrong... Either a huge ego or a amateur