• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

8milemax that rather spiffing fellow, felt that Gav wasn't playing cricket, so he bowled him a googly and Gav was out for a week leg before wicket if you catch my drift

I had nothing to do with it! I did not turn him over to the mods. Stop repeating lies

8milemax that rather spiffing fellow, felt that Gav wasn't playing cricket, so he bowled him a googly and Gav was out for a week leg before wicket if you catch my drift

I had nothing to do with it! I did not turn him over to the mods. Stop repeating lies

Is that what that meant? (shrug)

I was reading one of the other threads, the one posted by Arch...and I was thinking...

We have way too many people on this list, and WAY too many people in the Hall of Shame...it's growing too fast, and it's causing way too many negative feelings.

When someone screws up, it's true, there can be many reasons, but it seems that some people assume, that making that one transaction whole, absolves them of all guilt, it wipes the slate clean and then they get to start again...later because nothing really happened the first time...they screw up again, or maybe they don't, but people remember them negatively...so they are the "bad guys" forever.

So the community is left with negative feelings when someone comes off the list and too often, it seems those same people return... for many reasons.

What if we somehow turned the probation list around...what if there was some kind of community service requirement for you to get off the list. If you are placed there, you need to not only send the books, supplies, pay for an item, fix whatever error was made, but you ALSO have to ...do something positive for the community...

I guess I'm thinking about something in the way of charity auctions, but I'm sure there are lots of other ideas out there.

It might even help someone who messed up, feel so good enough about themselves, that they don't mess up again...

Just thinking...and I'm sorry if I'm rambling...

But I was hoping someone else might have some positive ideas.

I was reading one of the other threads, the one posted by Arch...and I was thinking...

We have way too many people on this list, and WAY too many people in the Hall of Shame...it's growing too fast, and it's causing way too many negative feelings.

When someone screws up, it's true, there can be many reasons, but it seems that some people assume, that making that one transaction whole, absolves them of all guilt, it wipes the slate clean and then they get to start again...later because nothing really happened the first time...they screw up again, or maybe they don't, but people remember them negatively...so they are the "bad guys" forever.

So the community is left with negative feelings when someone comes off the list and too often, it seems those same people return... for many reasons.

What if we somehow turned the probation list around...what if there was some kind of community service requirement for you to get off the list. If you are placed there, you need to not only send the books, supplies, pay for an item, fix whatever error was made, but you ALSO have to ...do something positive for the community...

I guess I'm thinking about something in the way of charity auctions, but I'm sure there are lots of other ideas out there.

It might even help someone who messed up, feel so good enough about themselves, that they don't mess up again...

Hi Sharon, I'm a little confused by what you're proposing. On the one hand, adding an additional hurdle would make it tougher to get off the list. But on the other hand, you seem to be disturbed by the length of the list and would like to make it shorter.

Personally I'm inclined to have as complete a list as possible. It's regrettable that it's getting so long, but that seems inevitable as the years pass. (shrug)

Hi Sharon, I'm a little confused by what you're proposing. On the one hand, adding an additional hurdle would make it tougher to get off the list. But on the other hand, you seem to be disturbed by the length of the list and would like to make it shorter.

Personally I'm inclined to have as complete a list as possible. It's regrettable that it's getting so long, but that seems inevitable as the years pass. (shrug)

Sorry John, I really was rambling.

I'd like to make the list grow at a slower pace, by making it harder to get off it, therefore hopefully, making someone think harder before they transgress.

I wanted to ADD a community service requirement before you can get off, in addition to fulfilling your obligations, so it's not so easy.

I agree with you, it's going to get longer, but I guess I was trying to make lemonade out of lemons, by requiring someone give back to the community, before they get off. I don't think it's a solution....I was just thinking that it seems that some people aren't concerned about the present requirements to get off the list...so maybe if it was harder to get off, and there were more consequences, it would make a difference and yes, I know that some people have genuine problems, but those people probably wouldn't mind helping the community.

I'm probably still not making much sense, but the last two incidents, CS and Connor, really disturbed me. If the actions had been nipped in the bud earlier, it might have been easier.

(and no, I don't believe in the death penalty for chatboard transgressions;)

Edited by skypinkblu

I plotted the probation list additions by month to see if there really has been an increase, or whether the recurring discussions make it appear that way. From the chart it looks as if there's been a slight uptick. However, it should be noted that this chart does not include those who had been on the list but were removed after satisfying the agrieved party(s). I would guess that if that were factored in, there would not actually be an increasing trend, although the perception may still be present.

85274.jpg.82e052ef30d0754efa1ab6df8a861ca4.jpg

I'm probably still not making much sense, but the last two incidents, CS and Connor, really disturbed me. If the actions had been nipped in the bud earlier, it might have been easier.

(and no, I don't believe in the death penalty for chatboard transgressions;)

It's probably because both CS & Connor were unaffected by shame and continued to post here as if nothing had happened.

Never really thought about a death penalty before................. hm

I plotted the probation list additions by month to see if there really has been an increase, or whether the recurring discussions make it appear that way. From the chart it looks as if there's been a slight uptick. However, it should be noted that this chart does not include those who had been on the list but were removed after satisfying the agrieved party(s). I would guess that if that were factored in, there would not actually be an increasing trend, although the perception may still be present.

nice.

I'm afraid my dear fellow that the cricketing metaphor was obviously not within your grasp otherwise you would have seen it as rather accurate. I see no point teaching an american cricket, I suggest you go back to playing rounders or whatever you call it.

I'm afraid my dear fellow that the cricketing metaphor was obviously not within your grasp otherwise you would have seen it as rather accurate. I see no point teaching an american cricket, I suggest you go back to playing rounders or whatever you call it.

He's a Diamond duck. (thumbs u

lol

He's a Diamond duck geezer. (thumbs u

Fixed that for you (thumbs u

:roflmao:

I feel like I just watched a old spice commercial. :)

Rounders! Thats a great movie (thumbs u

Edited by 8milemax

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

He's talking about baseball. :makepoint:

That's a great chart, Szelim, I think that several posters are correct, it's the perception because the last few problem people were in the Hall of Shame.

However, as someone else pointed out to me this morning, there is no longer a sales signature in ComicSupply's post. so whether he did that voluntarily, or one of the Mods worked magic, THAT made me feel better:) (worship)