• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

How about this..."Any board transaction between buyer and seller is FULLY EXPECTED to be completed by the end of 30 consecutive business days starting from the moment :takeit: is placed in the thread."

Well, Rupp, there is that pesky word "transaction" again which seems to be need to be defined.

Unfortunately, if this is going to change I think we do need to break it out as was earlier suggested by Speedy into something like "two weeks to pay and two weeks to ship".

Of course we then get into cleared payment vs something like a PayPal or personal check.

Naturally, if something like this gets implemented, we should also reinforce that the seller can bypass the two weeks by stating up front that there would be a delay in getting item(s) shipped and providing an estimated ship time, or that payment within x number of days is required. Similarly, the buyer can arrange a greater than two week payment period with the seller. These are already acknowledged but it would not hurt to just spell those out.

Edited by Povertyrow

I wouldn't put up conditional payment terms in my sales thread. This really isn't an issue. I just am posting the question because I thought this was discussed with the PL rules where updated. I wanted to make sure of the new rules. If it is 30 days, then I will wait it out. Thanks for the replies.

I didn't know the 30 day rule wasn't working. The way that I understand the 30 day rule is that it's not meant to punish people but to try and get them to complete their transactions, and only upon failure to meet their end of the obligation are they subject to placement on the PL.

Whether you complete the transaction within 30 days is arbitrary since either way, from the time of the nomination to the sending notices through PMs and giving the offending party time to answer the notice many times it's longer than thirty days and usually the offending party will try to redress the matter before being placed on the PL.

And the problem with sellers setting terms is that every seller will set their own terms, further complicating the matter. Imagine seller states, "payment due within 3 days," would it seem fair to place the offending buyer on the PL for failure to pay within 3 days. Or if the sellers states that the "item will be relisted." If the item is sold, how can the offending party redress the matter, he has no recourse for remedy.

NO, I don't see what's wrong with 30 days to complete a transaction. Either way, by just bringing the matter up on the Probation discussion, that in itself is like a public hearing, where those who participate here are judge and jury in a way and the offended party is the executioner.

Either way, generally speaking, you wont have both buyer and seller take the full 30 days to complete their transactions, either the buyer will be tardy and the seller prompt or the buyer prompt and the seller tardy, either way, 30 days is plenty of time for you to see who the offending party is.

I didn't know the 30 day rule wasn't working. The way that I understand the 30 day rule is that it's not meant to punish people but to try and get them to complete their transactions, and only upon failure to meet their end of the obligation are they subject to placement on the PL.

Whether you complete the transaction within 30 days is arbitrary since either way, from the time of the nomination to the sending notices through PMs and giving the offending party time to answer the notice many times it's longer than thirty days and usually the offending party will try to redress the matter before being placed on the PL.

And the problem with sellers setting terms is that every seller will set their own terms, further complicating the matter. Imagine seller states, "payment due within 3 days," would it seem fair to place the offending buyer on the PL for failure to pay within 3 days. Or if the sellers states that the "item will be relisted." If the item is sold, how can the offending party redress the matter, he has no recourse for remedy.

NO, I don't see what's wrong with 30 days to complete a transaction. Either way, by just bringing the matter up on the Probation discussion, that in itself is like a public hearing, where those who participate here are judge and jury in a way and the offended party is the executioner.

Either way, generally speaking, you wont have both buyer and seller take the full 30 days to complete their transactions, either the buyer will be tardy and the seller prompt or the buyer prompt and the seller tardy, either way, 30 days is plenty of time for you to see who the offending party is.

Sellers do have the ability to set what ever terms they like though.

Seller terms can range from who they don't want to deal with, what payment terms they will accept, shipping options, etc. I'd hate to be the guy to try to take these options away from sellers.

I think it should be totally acceptable for a seller who needs his money in less than three days at least be allowed to ask for that upfront.

Kinda works the same way as the ebay instant payment option where you do a buy it now and the system won't end the auction until payment is made.

That said I think the current 30 day rule is fine... but who knows... maybe a little refinement is a good thing. :)

That said I think the current 30 day rule is fine... but who knows... maybe a little refinement is a good thing. :)

What about the time you set terms I had to pay you within one hour before alarms went off in my wallet that money was leaving?

:cry:

What about the time you set terms I had to pay you within one hour before alarms went off in my wallet that money was leaving?

How is that Hello Kitty wallet doin by the way? My precious.... :devil:

This is a community, and it's not what's best for you as the seller, it's what's best for US as a community.

You can set your terms, that's fine, I'm just saying it complicates rules when every seller can set their own rules.

Ah... like in China. Gotcha ;)

This is a community, and it's not what's best for you as the seller, it's what's best for US as a community.

You can set your terms, that's fine, I'm just saying it complicates rules when every seller can set their own rules.

Ah... like in China. Gotcha ;)

No, like in a Democracy, don't make this political.

Peace out, beaches.

How is that Hello Kitty wallet doin by the way? My precious.... :devil:

:roflmao:

hello%20kitty%20sunglasses%20womens%20wallet-f77931.jpg

It's a man-purse, I tell ya!

:sumo:

And the problem with sellers setting terms is that every seller will set their own terms, further complicating the matter. Imagine seller states, "payment due within 3 days," would it seem fair to place the offending buyer on the PL for failure to pay within 3 days.

Yes, it would be fair. If a buyer doesn't like the rules set by the seller then he or she has the option of not buying. How is that complicated?

And the problem with sellers setting terms is that every seller will set their own terms, further complicating the matter. Imagine seller states, "payment due within 3 days," would it seem fair to place the offending buyer on the PL for failure to pay within 3 days.

Yes, it would be fair. If a buyer doesn't like the rules set by the seller then he or she has the option of not buying. How is that complicated?

When you make rules that are so draconian that it makes it easy for people to fall into breaking them and then readily punishing them, well, let's just say that it wont make for an environment conducive to transacting business.

But frack it, it's an everyone for themselves, make your own rules type of non-community, have at it. Make more complicated rules, let's see how that works out.

I have to go with Mr. Ryanatlas. A seller has a right to set their terms in order to be comfortable on here. Even some sellers have gotten away with posting two prices to work around the PayPal fee.

So what's the issue?

I've said my mind, it's up to the community to decide how they want to handle it. I've never had a problem following rules and I've never had a problem with the law, so what ever the community does is fine with me, I'm sure "I" wont have any problems with them.

I've said my mind, it's up to the community to decide how they want to handle it. I've never had a problem following rules and I've never had a problem with the law, so what ever the community does is fine with me, I'm sure "I" wont have any problems with them.

Nor I. Whatever the rules are is what they are and I've never had trouble following them. I do, however, always read a seller's personal rules before placing an I'll Take It. If a seller's rules are too granular or bizarre or whatever then I just move on. I myself tend not to install odd selling rules in my sales threads so this more devil's advocacy for me. All I demand (yes, demand) is that expectations for communication be set. That's where my problems with buying and selling here have been: being completely left in the dark for days at a time when someone buys something from me or when I buy something and the shipping gets delayed but that message is never relayed to me. This is a message board predicated on typing words into a screen and hitting Submit. Somehow this becomes an extraordinarily difficult task when it comes to sending a PM.

I have to go with Mr. Ryanatlas. A seller has a right to set their terms in order to be comfortable on here. Even some sellers have gotten away with posting two prices to work around the PayPal fee.

So what's the issue?

Placing a time frame for payment in a FS thread is a great idea. Most any other reasonable rule should be ok as well. (thumbs u