• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

This is unequivocally a probation worthy act of douchebaggery by a regretful seller, period.

The terms were hammered out through a volley of PM's. Another clown shoes member, either a typical washer woman gossip or a spiteful buyer who thought he deserved the book, sticks their wet nose in the anus of this transaction.

Buyer graciously, yet unwisely, agrees to compensate for a portion of shipping costs. Seller continues raising his handjob status until reaching his climax and canceling transaction.

Done deal, and the 30 days should be waived in the event either party clearly states they have no intention of completing a mutually agreed upon sale. Stop being such bleeding hearts, not everything requires extensive debate, some facts are clear and actions should be swift.

In my CALtopia my will is severe and punishment just.

Yeah, this.

Another example of why we should have a minimum post count for sales. mrmaha shows up to make a sale, he goofs up, gets higher PM offers and (assumingly) has no qualms about calling off his arrangement with Miamiknight to take a back-alley deal and then leaves the boards, most likely to come back under a different name at a later date when things cool down.

Granted, a sleazeball *might* do this regardless of post count - but the odds go down the longer they are here and part of the community. It's human nature to feel obligated to do the right thing when people know who you are and you know they are watching. That obligation diminishes when you are in a room full of strangers you can bilk and never worry about seeing or hearing from again.

Another example of why we should have a minimum post count for sales. mrmaha shows up to make a sale, he goofs up, gets higher PM offers and (assumingly) has no qualms about calling off his arrangement with Miamiknight to take a back-alley deal and then leaves the boards, most likely to come back under a different name at a later date when things cool down.

Granted, a sleazeball *might* do this regardless of post count - but the odds go down the longer they are here and part of the community. It's human nature to feel obligated to do the right thing when people know who you are and you know they are watching. That obligation diminishes when you are in a room full of strangers you can bilk and never worry about seeing or hearing from again.

What about those handful of board members that have been registered for like 4 years but barely post?

What about those handful of board members that have been registered for like 4 years but barely post?

Or the ability to just go to WC/CG and just spam. I would much rather see a small true/false test prior to buying/selling in the FS section:

ie:

It is acceptable to make a sale through PM? T/F

It is acceptable to ask for paypal personal? T/F

etc.

This would ensure they must read the questions and answer unlike a simple terms and conditions

Probation worthy or not

Says this

I love the book looks a little nicer than a 4.0 from the pic. 340........ let me get back to ya later this week and see what I can swing, can you do payments????

than says this

I can do 340 if you can do payments. No issues with the case?

I say ok. He than talks about a trade, I tell him the time line I would like to get the payments within - crickets.

Did this person confirm to a sale or not?

It's a price agreement but I'm not sure if it's a binding contract or "deal" - it would be a deal if he'd proposed the payment timeline and you accepted but since you are defining the timeline he should either accept or counter with an acceptable timeline to complete the deal.

If it's 30 days of crickets I'd say PL but I'd defer to comix4fun...he loves contract talk. :cloud9:

His response to my "yes I do time payment" was

"This is what im thinking I can make the first payment friday, im thinking 85 bucks a payment. I get paid every two weeks. like I will pay more as I sale books. Unless your interested in ToT #1 cgc 9.8. Let me know what you think. "

Well I don't know how much trade value the tot 1 cgc would be.

How much are you looking for?

JL

He says:

ive seen em go for 200-300 not for sure if I want to get rid of it quite yet though. Still debating lol.

I say

While, I am fine with you making the first payment (also the non-refundable down payment) of $85 on Friday (March 29).

And than two weeks after that (April 12) paying at least $100 towards the book and than two weeks after that (April 26) paying the remainder owed.

Does that sounds like a workable payment plan?

Than I get crickets.

If I was him I would have paid for the item. But I am confused as now I have just heard nothing.

Well if he defaults on the first payment date that he suggested then it's likely PL - but you're supposed to wait 30 days (March 29th) so you've got time to work on that speech. :D

I'd give my opinion but Jimmy might think I am biased.

My old saltwater fish forum had a minimum 90 day AND 90 meaningful( no "nice tanks" or "SWEET!" posts counted) posts requirement before you could even view the buying/selling forum. A lot of people whined and moaned that they had been there for years but just lurk and dont post. Admins response was basically "this is a community and if you want the benefits of buying/selling to the community, you have to participate in some meaningful way. Just reading posts for years doesnt entitle you to these benefits".

A lot of people were upset but it DEFINITELY helped cut down on the buying/selling problems.

My old saltwater fish forum had a minimum 90 day AND 90 meaningful( no "nice tanks" or "SWEET!" posts counted) posts requirement before you could even view the buying/selling forum. A lot of people whined and moaned that they had been there for years but just lurk and dont post. Admins response was basically "this is a community and if you want the benefits of buying/selling to the community, you have to participate in some meaningful way. Just reading posts for years doesnt entitle you to these benefits".

A lot of people were upset but it DEFINITELY helped cut down on the buying/selling problems.

How could you possibly monitor "meaningful" posts and who is going to count them up before they reach the invisible line?

How could you possibly monitor "meaningful" posts and who is going to count them up before they reach the invisible line?

Oh, the mods over there were WAY different from here! They had no problem whatsoever going thru the forums and adjusting peoples post counts that they thought were just padding them with "nice tank" posts. Happened all day every day.

Oh, the mods over there were WAY different from here! They had no problem whatsoever going thru the forums and adjusting peoples post counts that they thought were just padding them with "nice tank" posts. Happened all day every day.

Okay, but that's that board and this is this board. While minimum post counts are a good idea conceptually, it's not practical to monitor and having a blanket policy that is easy to circumvent or harms longtime members doesn't really serve its intended purpose. Maybe there should be a "real" feedback forum. The one we have now, which only allows for positive comments, is useless. I never direct people to my feedback thread because it's pointless if all you can say is, "A+! Smooth transaction!" I'm not even sure how effective altering the feedback thread would be either.

The 30 day wait period for Miamiknight's issue seems unnecessary. Nothing will change in 30 days. The seller backed out of a deal. Case closed. To the PL!

Edited by ryanatlas

Yeah, i never quite understood the feedback forum here ???

What is the point??? I can be a total PITA buyer/seller but never rise to the level of PL or HOS and as far as anyone would know reading my feedback, im a "A+ buyer!!!".

I guess they dont want every single thread in there to turn into a fight which they would posting negative experiences but ONLY being able to post positive experiences doesnt seem to have a ton of value imo (shrug)

Post count i'm iffy on but i would totally be in favor of a minimum sign up date before buying/selling. What exactly is the downside of not letting people who just joined that day buy or sell here?

Post count i'm iffy on but i would totally be in favor of a minimum sign up date before buying/selling. What exactly is the downside of not letting people who just joined that day buy or sell here?

This makes more sense to me. There probably is no downside.

This makes more sense to me. There probably is no downside.

Yeah, its nice to be able to buy whatever book some brand new person posts for sale but it sure seems like there has been a LOT of problems with new sellers and buyers lately. Whatever negatives a minimum sign up date might cause, the positives outweigh them imo.

Making someone wait 90 days to buy/sell doesnt seem like a terrible burden (shrug)

I agree that a lot of the problems arise from new people buying or selling.

Any barriers to trading won't necessarily stop someone from bad behaviour after meeting the minimums and these minimums might give people a false sense of safety because we've got a meaningless hurdle for marketplace participants to achieve before participating.

It's not like we'd be vouching for anyone after a certain number of posts or time spent here. (shrug)

Everybody who has been here a while will generally look at the "who" before they look at "what" is for sale & sellers can control who buys by stating whatever minimum requirement they wish to impose on buyers.

Edited by bababooey

I agree that a lot of the problems arise from new people buying or selling.

Any barriers to trading won't necessarily stop someone from bad behaviour after meeting the minimums and these minimums might give people a false sense of safety because we've got a meaningless hurdle for marketplace participants to achieve before participating.

It's not like we'd be vouching for anyone after a certain number of posts or time spent here. (shrug)

Everybody who has been here a while will generally look at the "who" before they look at "what" is for sale & sellers can control who buys by stating whatever minimum requirement they wish to impose on buyers.

I dont know about that! That infamous "slow brother" sales thread, longtime boardies were JUMPING to hit the :takeit: from a new boardie, with no scans and prices that were WAY below gpa :facepalm:

Another example of why we should have a minimum post count for sales.

IMHO, rules are rules. Obviously, if your register date is before the rule has been applied, you would be grandfathered in. But after that - you should have to have a minimum post count in order to put up a sales thread. It doesn't have to be much.

I guess it comes down to two ways of thinking about the site in terms of the sales threads:

1. This website is an atypical internet community and that is what makes it unique - requiring people to be part of it before resorting to making sales threads in the belief that familiarity breeds smoother sales.

2. This website is a messageboard to buy and sell stuff, and it doesn't matter if there is a communal component or not. It is Ebay without the fees and a place to chat about comics, nothing more.

Another example of why we should have a minimum post count for sales.

IMHO, rules are rules. Obviously, if your register date is before the rule has been applied, you would be grandfathered in. But after that - you should have to have a minimum post count in order to put up a sales thread. It doesn't have to be much.

I guess it comes down to two ways of thinking about the site in terms of the sales threads:

1. This website is an atypical internet community and that is what makes it unique - requiring people to be part of it before resorting to making sales threads in the belief that familiarity breeds smoother sales.

2. This website is a messageboard to buy and sell stuff, and it doesn't matter if there is a communal component or not. It is Ebay without the fees and a place to chat about comics, nothing more.

Some country clubs require one or two existing members to vouch for admission candidates before they will be considered.