• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I don't think a minimum post count rule would work clinky

lol

Blow Up The Moon blew up the thread. :applause:

Gotta boost that post count.. CGC is going to start basing their turnaround times off how many posts you have. Good thing he has 5k+ posts and 4.9k+ of those posts are in his own test thread. lol

Edited by Mangbus

I joined the boards so I could participate in rich henns opps.

I think if post count restrictions were given we wouldn't have so many new members all the time.

Salient point. I also joined because of Rich.

I joined the boards so I could participate in rich henns opps.

I think if post count restrictions were given we wouldn't have so many new members all the time.

You have to crack a few eggs to make an omelet.

What about a two tier sales system, vetted by the community? There would be the lower level sales thread where anyone can post and then a upper level thread where only people who have 1) Completed a set number of successful sales and 2) Been vouched for by 2 separate upper level members can post sales. This means if you are buying in this thread you are more or less safe, and that in the lower level you are taking a greater risk. Personally I don't want this to be e-bay. I come here because I love comics and I love seeing everyones books and having discussions about comics. Just my 2cents

Post count i'm iffy on but i would totally be in favor of a minimum sign up date before buying/selling. What exactly is the downside of not letting people who just joined that day buy or sell here?

This makes more sense to me. There probably is no downside.

What noobs like myself that throw up the :takeit: and completed the deals before our 90's are done? Although I do not have much on my kudos thread, but I really do not think people read those. It doesn't rally matter, some people will still be dickensians even after the 90 days. How about when you start a sales thread you require more information about that individual? Like their ebay id if applicable, or other forums the have/are members of or similar.....

Edited by vader.2001

I'm torn between on the topic. I can see how we would want to protect people and make this a safer place to buy and sell...BUT...Someone buying a $500 book from someone who signed up yesterday probably gets what they deserve.

I agree that a lot of the problems arise from new people buying or selling.

Any barriers to trading won't necessarily stop someone from bad behaviour after meeting the minimums and these minimums might give people a false sense of safety because we've got a meaningless hurdle for marketplace participants to achieve before participating.

It's not like we'd be vouching for anyone after a certain number of posts or time spent here. (shrug)

Everybody who has been here a while will generally look at the "who" before they look at "what" is for sale & sellers can control who buys by stating whatever minimum requirement they wish to impose on buyers.

I agree with bababooey. I am relatively new here. I have bought a lot of books here without any issues. I have had one sales thread and the only issue that came out of it was on the buyer's end. I don't think limiting new members would solve anything. This is a community - there are rules, just like there are in society. And just like in society people will choose to ignore the rules. Before, I posted anything on these forums, I read all the rules, as becoming a member of this community I wanted to be a good citizen. 2c

I think the answer is simple, if you are worried about selling to noobs, explicitly state a rule in your sales thread that you reserve the right to deny a sale to anyone for any reason. Heck, specify that all noobs must PM you ahead of time and prove that they are a worthy buyer.

My first post here on the boards was a :takeit: and frankly most of my 100+ posts have been :takeit:

I buy here. I read here. I'm sorry I don't post all that often. But I have a solid track record and most people who find these boards will too.

Limiting someone's ability to buy or sell because they are new is stupid and will cause more harm than good in the long term.

I think the answer is simple, if you are worried about selling to noobs, explicitly state a rule in your sales thread that you reserve the right to deny a sale to anyone for any reason. Heck, specify that all noobs must PM you ahead of time and prove that they are a worthy buyer.

My first post here on the boards was a :takeit: and frankly most of my 100+ posts have been :takeit:

I buy here. I read here. I'm sorry I don't post all that often. But I have a solid track record and most people who find these boards will too.

Limiting someone's ability to buy or sell because they are new is stupid and will cause more harm than good in the long term.

Correction, 200+ posts (dang I've spent a lot of money over the last year)

Agree with all (and in fact, I sold to Kyle here right when he just joined up).

I always say the same thing every time this issue comes up. I've had dozens of successful sales to single-digit-posters (and even members with literally 0 posts). My only unsuccessful transaction here was to someone with 1500 posts who went south and didn't finish a time pay. For me there is little to no correlation between reliability and post count, and in the broader picture I'd be unhappy with excluding newbies who just joined up and are testing the waters.

There is obviously risk involved in buying from someone with no references who just joined up. When has that ever not been true? (shrug)

Agree with all (and in fact, I sold to Kyle here right when he just joined up).

I always say the same thing every time this issue comes up. I've had dozens of successful sales to single-digit-posters (and even members with literally 0 posts). My only unsuccessful transaction here was to someone with 1500 posts who went south and didn't finish a time pay. For me there is little to no correlation between reliability and post count, and in the broader picture I'd be unhappy with excluding newbies who just joined up and are testing the waters.

There is obviously risk involved in buying from someone with no references who just joined up. When has that ever not been true? (shrug)

I agree. The number of posts mean nothing. I've had buyers with 3 post pay immediately and a recent buyer (that's been around a while) ask for more time to pay even though he was still actively buying other books (before anyone ask for details - I said no thanks and it was settled).

I've found it's better to state your own rules up front (in addition to the board rules). I've also started asking someone with low post counts a lot of questions by pm before agreeing to anything. The probation discussion isn't perfect but I've seen a lot of issues worked out here (it could use a tweak or two), and its a lot better than the system feebay has. 2c

For me there is little to no correlation between reliability and post count, and in the broader picture I'd be unhappy with excluding newbies who just joined up and are testing the waters.

Here's the correlation: the most recent PL cadidates (from April 2012 and newer) and their post count:

YUJIRO (added 8/30/12) = 124

Xalechim (added 04/24/12) = 29

Winter Soldier (added 12/26/12) = 7

WDMARVELCOMICS (added 6/16/12) = 1550

vacantpassenger (added 11/11/12) = 509

tangelwood42 (added 11/28/12) = 388

pmahoney74 (added 12/22/12) = 78

picklepuss (added 11/27/12) = 64

phobalicious aka darkness4life (added 07/19/12) = 120

Joey21 (added 5/11/12) = 71

Jackstostart (added 7/30/12) = 1461

Goosie (added 6/6/12) = 34

excelsior1986 (added 9/09/12) = 2076

Campbelljh3 (added 9/14/12 & 1/4/2013) AKA Soup1998 = 528

Babygorilla (added 2/2/13) = 74

50s Horror Buff (added 05/24/12) = 543

56% of the previous years' PL members have less than a 200 post count. I would hardly say that the idea of creating a post count rule for selling is "stupid" - considering over half of the people who end up on the list are people who have spent little time interacting in the community.

If the idea of keeping things the way they are is fine with everyone - I have no issue with that. But there is a correlation between post count and who ends up on the PL list. It may not be that big of deal to everyone else, however.

What would *really* be helpful is a way to track all sales and see how many PL things actually come up in general. In all things in life - there's bound to be some problems, and perhaps in terms of overall sales - the PL problems might be very, very minor in comparison to the successes sellers experience in the day-to-day happenings around here.

2c

For me there is little to no correlation between reliability and post count, and in the broader picture I'd be unhappy with excluding newbies who just joined up and are testing the waters.

Here's the correlation: the most recent PL cadidates (from April 2012 and newer) and their post count:

YUJIRO (added 8/30/12) = 124

Xalechim (added 04/24/12) = 29

Winter Soldier (added 12/26/12) = 7

WDMARVELCOMICS (added 6/16/12) = 1550

vacantpassenger (added 11/11/12) = 509

tangelwood42 (added 11/28/12) = 388

pmahoney74 (added 12/22/12) = 78

picklepuss (added 11/27/12) = 64

phobalicious aka darkness4life (added 07/19/12) = 120

Joey21 (added 5/11/12) = 71

Jackstostart (added 7/30/12) = 1461

Goosie (added 6/6/12) = 34

excelsior1986 (added 9/09/12) = 2076

Campbelljh3 (added 9/14/12 & 1/4/2013) AKA Soup1998 = 528

Babygorilla (added 2/2/13) = 74

50s Horror Buff (added 05/24/12) = 543

56% of the previous years' PL members have less than a 200 post count. I would hardly say that the idea of creating a post count rule for selling is "stupid" - considering over half of the people who end up on the list are people who have spent little time interacting in the community.

If the idea of keeping things the way they are is fine with everyone - I have no issue with that. But there is a correlation between post count and who ends up on the PL list. It may not be that big of deal to everyone else, however.

What would *really* be helpful is a way to track all sales and see how many PL things actually come up in general. In all things in life - there's bound to be some problems, and perhaps in terms of overall sales - the PL problems might be very, very minor in comparison to the successes sellers experience in the day-to-day happenings around here.

2c

A logical argument, supported with facts, board brain cannot compute.

This is just a WAG, but I bet there are 300-400 transactions that go through with no problem at all for every transaction that starts a PL discussion, regardless of whether someone lands on the PL or not.