• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

tumblr_mu6sh126dR1r3qv9to1_400.gif

:roflmao:

I am seriously hoping it's not the same guy and he's a victim of the Joel Rifkin-syndrome like on Seinfeld.

If that's not him, it's time for a name change...

Don't worry guys, I just activated my twitter account again a few days ago.

Jimmy Linguini is on the case.

@jimmylinguini That was something some :censored: created in my name almost 15 years ago. I don't know you, but I do know you can :censored: off.

This should get interesting. :)

@jimmylinguini That was something some :censored: created in my name almost 15 years ago. I don't know you, but I do know you can :censored: off.

lol

Even if he's not self-deluded enough to believe he's a member of the master race , he has to answer for the people he owes books to. He's obviously alive and well and tweeting all over the damn place.

Let's get StuperBeastCraig in here.

lol

Even if he's not self-deluded enough to believe he's a member of the master race , he has to answer for the people he owes books to. He's obviously alive and well and tweeting all over the damn place.

Let's get StuperBeastCraig in here.

Yeah, it's going to be difficult for him to play the standard "life events/tragedy got in the way" card when he's had a gazillion tweets since his last post here.

The class of 2012 has more than a fair few on the PL - yes im in that class as well before some smartie points it out lol

The thought of a minimum 500 post count or 1 year membership is becoming a real option afaiac

The problem with the minimum number of posts idea is that it's so easy to circumvent in a single day if you put your mind to it. 1 year membership makes more sense, but seems a bit unfair to genuine sellers, who are likely to look elsewhere to sell their books rather than wait a year. Someone else mentioned recommendations from 3 existing members, but that raises a whole lot of other questions (e.g. do the people recommending have to have a minimum number of posts/time of service?).

To a certain extent, the system is self-policing. Most people are in any case wary about buying books from new boardies, those with very few posts or people who haven't sold much in the past.

The threat of the PL isn't going to deter a determined scammer, but it does generally seem keep those who plan to stay on the boards and buy and sell over the long term on the straight and narrow.

We probably just need to accept that the site is never going to be scam-free (or flaky boardie free either). People need to know what warning signs to look for and act accordingly.

The class of 2012 has more than a fair few on the PL - yes im in that class as well before some smartie points it out lol

The thought of a minimum 500 post count or 1 year membership is becoming a real option afaiac

The problem with the minimum number of posts idea is that it's so easy to circumvent in a single day if you put your mind to it. 1 year membership makes more sense, but seems a bit unfair to genuine sellers, who are likely to look elsewhere to sell their books rather than wait a year. Someone else mentioned recommendations from 3 existing members, but that raises a whole lot of other questions (e.g. do the people recommending have to have a minimum number of posts/time of service?).

To a certain extent, the system is self-policing. Most people are in any case wary about buying books from new boardies, those with very few posts or people who haven't sold much in the past.

The threat of the PL isn't going to deter a determined scammer, but it does generally seem keep those who plan to stay on the boards and buy and sell over the long term on the straight and narrow.

We probably just need to accept that the site is never going to be scam-free (or flaky boardie free either). People need to know what warning signs to look for and act accordingly.

I've said it before - the minimum post count is a deterrent - it will keep a lot of scammers at bay, and yes - even though they can get around it, I'd wager not many of them would even bother.

Scammers gravitate towards the path of least resistance, just the same as burglars. A random guy isn't going to break into a house that has lights on, he'll go down the street to the house with no lights. It's not 100%, but it does weed out a lot of potential. If we create a barrier, it will take care of a lot - not all - of our recent problems.

A minimum post count is easy to implement and enforce without having to do a lot of administrative work. I will always be for this, and I'd love to see a vote on it, as it seems to have some momentum right now.

I've said it before - the minimum post count is a deterrent - it will keep a lot of scammers at bay, and yes - even though they can get around it, I'd wager not many of them would even bother.

Scammers gravitate towards the path of least resistance, just the same as burglars. A random guy isn't going to break into a house that has lights on, he'll go down the street to the house with no lights. It's not 100%, but it does weed out a lot of potential. If we create a barrier, it will take care of a lot - not all - of our recent problems.

A minimum post count is easy to implement and enforce without having to do a lot of administrative work. I will always be for this, and I'd love to see a vote on it, as it seems to have some momentum right now.

I'm not against a minimum post count, I just don't think it'll deter any scammers beyond the most blatant ones. People that are turning up with 1 post selling an AF15 at half GPA aren't getting any traction anyway.

I see both sides of this really. Yes the minimum post count makes sense from the idea of keeping away scammers but at the same time I've seen some awesome threads from guys who have maybe 50 posts to their name (and the transactions have ended without an issue afaik) Also are we doing a minimum for buying as well? I'm sure there are several people on the PL for not going through with a transaction on the buying side. How about a 30 day waiting period? I think it is long enough that straight up scammers will find it too irksome to wait but not too encompassing that it deters legitimate new sellers. Plus users can't just get around it by going into the test section and spamming up comments (or going into watercooler/CG and just doing like a thumbs up in every comment) Thoughts?

I see both sides of this really. Yes the minimum post count makes sense from the idea of keeping away scammers but at the same time I've seen some awesome threads from guys who have maybe 50 posts to their name (and the transactions have ended without an issue afaik) Also are we doing a minimum for buying as well? I'm sure there are several people on the PL for not going through with a transaction on the buying side. How about a 30 day waiting period? I think it is long enough that straight up scammers will find it too irksome to wait but not too encompassing that it deters legitimate new sellers. Plus users can't just get around it by going into the test section and spamming up comments (or going into watercooler/CG and just doing like a thumbs up in every comment) Thoughts?

Either a 100-post minimum or a 3-month wait sounds good to me. I agree with Dr. Balls that any kind of hurdle may be enough to discourage the hit-and-run scammer. Just because we can't eliminate scamming doesn't mean we shouldn't take a reasonable step to discourage it.

Either a 100-post minimum or a 3-month wait sounds good to me. I agree with Dr. Balls that any kind of hurdle may be enough to discourage the hit-and-run scammer. Just because we can't eliminate scamming doesn't mean we shouldn't take a reasonable step to discourage it.

+1

If we don't at least attempt to do something, this B.S. is going to continue and keep getting worse. That PL list is getting like a long sheet of toilet paper.

I say we try something. If it doesn't work, we try something else. (shrug)

Your point is well taken. At the same time, Dr. X and Dr. Balls have a point in that things have gotten worse and SOMETHING should be tried to stem the tide of fraud/bad sellers. I think really there are two polls that need to happen, 1 for whether some modification to the For Sale forum policy should take place or leave as is (which I think will be a resounding yes, but hey ask the poll anyway) and then 2) what the appropriate modification should be (1-month from signing up, 3-months, 1 year, 500 posts, 1000 posts etc) Just my 2c

Since lots of people seem to read this, there's been some excitement in Mikeggg's thread.

Just another warning -

I offered the book to him. He Declined.

I had mixed feelings about keeping this thread clean, but since the discussion has been brought up, here goes.

I have actually bought from Mike twice before, and it always took follow up to get my book, and usually took about 3-4 weeks for it to be delivered. He always had excuses, but the two times I previously bought from him I ended up getting the book after enough prodding.

The last time he told me he was listing a comico on ebay because I had just bought one. I bid on and won the book.

I didn't receive it for two weeks so I messaged him and let him know. he said the book wasn't in hand and it now was and he would send it. After a couple more messages back and forth the book never came. I decided I better open an ebay case before I lost my protection.

At this point he completely ignored me on ebay and the boards. About two months after the initial transaction he pm'd me asking if I wanted the book. I no longer trusted him or wanted to do business with him so I didn't take him up on it.

He is now reselling the book in his thread.

Chris is an awesome guy, and I hope he gets the book that he pays for. I PM'ed him about the book not because I still wanted it, but just to warn him. Chris has helped me out multiple times before and I really appreciate him on the boards.

Maybe this will light a fire under Mike to actually get the things he says he will do done. He's been on the probation list before though so who knows.

I wonder how many successful sellers made their first sale with under 100 posts or less than 3 months?

Now that I got my key to the sales forum, screw the next guy (shrug)

No one said screw the next guy, but if you have a better idea to curb this krap on here let us know.

I wonder how many successful sellers made their first sale with under 100 posts or less than 3 months?

No one said screw the next guy, but if you have a better idea to curb this krap on here let us know.

Adding ever more rules seems just like ebay

So how is that working out?

Adding ever more rules seems just like ebay

So how is that working out?

And e-bay is full of scam artists and crooks. The point is, we don't want that to bleed over to these forums any more than it has.

We're trying to come up with something to stem this behavior. Like I said, if you have better idea, lets have it. If things don't change, its just going to get worse.