• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

And just to throw this out there... lets say a 100 post rule to sell does eventually come into effect.

This won't stop a potential (greedy or otherwise) buyer from PMing the new seller.

If that buyer gets hosed behind the scenes and the new seller hasn't fulfilled the requirements to sell here... does that mean the buyer has no recourse?

This is a remerkably well thought out point. Rupp, I am surprised!!! :o:hi:

Not just Buyer but Seller as well. Say a newbie with less than 100 posts replies to the WTB thread in PM? PM is the usual method ion that thread. The same would apply...they would have no recourse?

A case could be made that, be it buyer or seller, they did not follow the rules and bought from/sold to a less than 100 count member.

It is troubling.

... I don't believe that adults should need their hands held to make smart choices.

I think you are applying the term "adults" a little liberally to the forum members... :D;)

I agree that the 20% of adults that use this forum don't need hand holding.

But what about the 40% underdeveloped man-children?

or the 20% self righteous entitled elites who know better than any guideline could advise them?

or the 20% of profiteering hucksters who need to be controlled and railed against for turning this hobby into a money making venture?

or 10% of members who just want to post lewd cosplay photos from the latest con?

or the 20% that dont know how to do math or report percentages?

Math and I had a falling out in the late 90s...its just been awkward whenever we get together since then :insane:

In an effort to answer seriously the first 20% you listed there is the group of people I'm willing to engage in transactions with. There is a lot more to this forum than the buying/selling area and while I'm sure I've missed out on some deals due to my hesitation I'd like to think I've also missed out on some headaches. Though that 10% posting cosplay pictures doesn't usually offend me. Then again I'm not spending money with them!

I will raise again the point I've raised before -- which is always ignored lol -- if scams continue at their current frequency, I would guess Arch will eventually just close the sales threads down. Particularly if someone loses his shirt in a scam and contacts CGC asking for redress since they host the selling forum.

CGC has only, at best, an indirect stake in allowing a sales forum on their discussion board. If it becomes a problem, I doubt they would hesitate to shut it down.

A man can dream. :cloud9:

Item was listed here on eBay and sold within a minute to a high volume dealer

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7148282#Post7148282

this leads me to believe that the rules don't matter so why should we even bother adding any more

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7148282#Post7148282

this leads me to believe that the rules don't matter so why should we even bother adding any more

That is ridiculous. There are many many examples of this happening and the seller being informed and the situation being corrected.

That is ridiculous. There are many many examples of this happening and the seller being informed and the situation being corrected.

And yet......

If the price is right the rules are forgotten. (thumbs u

I will raise again the point I've raised before -- which is always ignored lol -- if scams continue at their current frequency, I would guess Arch will eventually just close the sales threads down. Particularly if someone loses his shirt in a scam and contacts CGC asking for redress since they host the selling forum.

CGC has only, at best, an indirect stake in allowing a sales forum on their discussion board. If it becomes a problem, I doubt they would hesitate to shut it down.

I don't ignore this point, as it is valid. Killing the goose that laid the golden egg would be the worst of all possible worlds.

I just got here and I really don't wish to see it go

I don't ignore this point, as it is valid. Killing the goose that laid the golden egg would be the worst of all possible worlds.

I'm pretty sure it's here to stay. I remember panicking back in the 70's, that there would be no gas left by the time I got my license to drive. :grin:

I can't read what you're saying until you get to 100 posts (shrug)

;)

I'm pretty sure it's here to stay. I remember panicking back in the 70's, that there would be no gas left by the time I got my license to drive. :grin:

lol

Fred-Flintstone-Barney-Rubble-Car.jpg

And yet......

We are kinda drifting towards the sales threads being eBay, without (gulp!) the protections available on eBay.

When someone starts a thread about a possible scam on eBay, one of the first things people look at is the seller's feedback. Unfortunately, a few months ago when we kicked around the possibility of turning the kudos threads into true fb threads, there wasn't much support.

NOTICE: This user's posts cannot be officially released as they have not achieved a 34,000 post count and must be reviewed by a moderator beforehand.

:o

:popcorn:

Let's see...

edit:

Oh no...only 33.5K posts... :ohnoez:

Edited by Aces

I can't read what you're saying until you get to 100 posts (shrug)

;)

lol ^

And yet......

We are kinda drifting towards the sales threads being eBay, without (gulp!) the protections available on eBay.

When someone starts a thread about a possible scam on eBay, one of the first things people look at is the seller's feedback. Unfortunately, a few months ago when we kicked around the possibility of turning the kudos threads into true fb threads, there wasn't much support.

People really don't like hearing the truth. That, and people tend to exaggerate and seek attention. I would have thought with the invention of "social" media that attention seekers would peter out.

Why oh WHY is there still "reality" TV?

I left a neutral comment on a seller at eBay once. I was contacted by the seller stating that they "lost a months worth of business" because of it and that their sales would be down for a long time. I apologized saying that I didn't realize that feedback was a popularity contest and that I am Canadian and we are generally honest with each other.

We are all human beings, we all have flaws and once and awhile it's not so bad to have them pointed out to us.

Just my 2c

1. ebay's protection is largely around paypal protection, with some mechanics around standard return/resolution processes. As long as you are using paypal for your board transaction your money is as safe (as long as you act in a timely manner to open claims, just like on ebay) as it is on the bay.

2. feedback management has overhead (i.e. resolution of disputed feedback, deleting inaccuracies in posts, etc), and this board is run with no overhead beyond the basic monitoring for certain content that is performed. I think regardless of support, a real feedback thread is a pipe dream in terms of getting CGC to support its existence.

I dont think we're drifting towards ebay for a few reasons. Most books are listed at market rates (as opposed to most ebay listings sitting for months and years at inflated ask prices. We have a higher percentage of "good" listings (good scans/photos, good descriptions) vs bad. And ebay is largely non-relationship building (you go in you buy, you pay, you're done) vs here where MOST buyers and sellers have an ongoing presence on the boards beyond just the marketplace.

And yet......

Err, that's kind of a Catch 22 perception when you think about it. I mean, if no one "forgot" the rules we would have no PL/HOS list in the first place.

And yet......

Err, that's kind of a Catch 22 perception when you think about it. I mean, if no one "forgot" the rules we would have no PL/HOS list in the first place.

Seen it many times and I have to agree - you will get stepped on as you're posting the rules. That X-men was gone quick. lol

And yet......

Seen it many times and I have to agree - you will get stepped on as you're posting the rules. That X-men was gone quick. lol

Stepped on or threatened... take your pick ;)