• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I wonder how many successful sellers made their first sale with under 100 posts or less than 3 months?

Now that I got my key to the sales forum, screw the next guy (shrug)

No one said screw the next guy, but if you have a better idea to curb this krap on here let us know.

Adding ever more rules seems just like ebay

So how is that working out?

You will never be able to compare these boards to ebay. (thumbs u

A 100 post minimum sounds great.

Now just keep all the BUYERS here from throwing a take it sign in anyone's thread who has less than 100 posts.

Seems easy till the greed kicks in hm

Hey look. An X-Men 94 being sold by a newbie in 9.4 condition for $500.

Up-squirrel.gif

Now just keep all the BUYERS here from throwing a take it sign in anyone's thread who has less than 100 posts.

Hey look. An X-Men 94 being sold by a newbie in 9.4 condition for $500.

Up-squirrel.gif

:takeit:

First Poll - I can't imagine it would be a "no" but for transparencies sake...

It's a 72 hr poll. Should be enough time for most people to see it, or enough to decide wether to go to the next poll.

:gossip: dont we already impose conditions on buyers and sellers (ie the marketplace rules) ?

Im assuming you mean "Should we impose any limitation of eligibility on buyers/sellers beyond the PL/HOS restriction?"

Edited by Miraclemet

I know what I mean...... I think.

Yeah - the second one (if there is one) will be worded better....

It's a 72 hr poll. Should be enough time for most people to see it, or enough to decide wether to go to the next poll.

A very similar poll recently was take over in the General Discussion marketplace thread: CLICK HERE ...in thehumantorch's post on 10/22 @ 9:24pm: 43 Yes, 6 No

So, I think it's already time to go to the next poll

Also, probably better to keep this discussion over there instead of here, since this particular discussion is not about putting someone on the probation list or taking them off the probation list 2c

Edited by edowens71

Well, I voted "no" so maybe I'm in the minority.

People already make newbies walk a tight line when posting their wares in the for sale threads. I constantly see someone regurgitating the spiel about 'welcome to the boards, here are the rules (which you've violated one way or the other), best of luck, etc.' All that will happen with more rules is more frequent posting of these responses in the new sellers' threads.

I think our fellow board members are capable of vetting a seller without some easily surmountable threshold in place, be it volume of posts or time on the boards, without additional rules in place to protect them from themselves.

(shrug)

Then again, I'm the guy who votes for thread-crapping for egregious over-graders and rip off artists, so take my opinion for what it's worth. I would be quite content to see a seller called out for marketing VG books as F/VF ones, or for extreme overpricing, while others disagree with the direct approach. As I've stated in the past, the good sellers on this forum allow their reputations to suffer by selling alongside overgraders who are not called out for their shenanigans.

"Oh, the sanctity of a sales thread cannot be violated! One just doesn't do those things." :blahblah:

:facepalm:

Pov is going to flip when he sees a poll that only goes for 72 hours. This type of rules change is going to take a longer voting period than just 72 hours.

A very similar poll recently was take over in the General Discussion marketplace thread: CLICK HERE ...in thehumantorch's post on 10/22 @ 9:24pm: 43 Yes, 6 No

So, I think it's already time to go to the next poll

Also, probably better to keep this discussion over there instead of here, since this particular discussion is not about putting someone on the probation list or taking them off the probation list 2c

But, the no's are winning in this poll. Or is it pole? hm

Also, I think rules are discussed and finalized here.

I have not voted yet. I am considering the pros and cons.

But I would like to mention that SuperbeastCraig (the guy that ripped me off), at the time of my purchase. Had well over a year on the boards, and well over 100 posts.

Didn't deter or stop him.

I know that no system will be perfect. But "buyer beware" seems to work fairly well here.

As does "always, always, always, use PayPal. Unless you know the seller well. There are many here I would send apersonal check or money order to. But I would only use PayPal, when dealing with those not long established and well respected here.

So, in a nutshell. Use PayPal and common sense learned here on the boards. There is a ton of information and knowledge here.

Also, I think rules are discussed and finalized here.

OK...in that case...

This is an excellent point. This happens all the time with the rules that are already in place. For example, a sales thread with a bunch of slabs recently went up in G/S/B with no payment info & no shipping info...the listing was since edited to include this info, but before it was edited, boardies were throwing up 'take its' like dogs on a bone.

Is it time to consider some sort of sanctions (for lack of a better word) against boardies who transact with a seller that doesn't follow marketplace guidelines?

This is an excellent point. This happens all the time with the rules that are already in place. For example, a sales thread with a bunch of slabs recently went up in G/S/B with no payment info & no shipping info...the listing was since edited to include this info, but before it was edited, boardies were throwing up 'take its' like dogs on a bone.

Is it time to consider some sort of sanctions (for lack of a better word) against boardies who transact with a seller that doesn't follow marketplace guidelines?

I do agree with this, but in my defense (for the thread Ed is referring to), I actually know the seller. I've dealt with him on eBay for several months (sold him a lot of books), recently just did a deal with him for a book that I had here so I am familiar with his payments/shipping etc

I do agree with this, but in my defense (for the thread Ed is referring to), I actually know the seller. I've dealt with him on eBay for several months (sold him a lot of books), recently just did a deal with him for a book that I had here so I am familiar with his payments/shipping etc

I agree...I have also had very pleasant dealings with the seller via PM (I responded to a WTB thread of his)...would have no hesitation about dealing with him again. I raised this point just to reinforce Rupp's concern...suppose we all voted on the 100 post minimum to start a sales thread. It's my understanding based on previous discussions that the board technology would not be able to automatically impose this constraint. So, a seller comes along with less than 100 posts and starts a thread...say someone knows that seller (or not) and posts a 'take it'...then what happens? Let them just conclude the transaction? Then what is the point of the rule, even if we pass it?

I know this statement is going to upset a few very good friends of mine, but I hope they will forgive me.

Rules are toothless without enforcement. Who is going to enforce these rules? Do you have mods on a leash ready to take action? Arch has made it clear we need to run our own sales forum.

The more rules you toss up, the more rules you will need.

I still think it's up to the buyer/seller to use common sense, no one can regulate that.

Ask questions, ask for references, insist on regular PP, speak up in a timely manner when something goes awry, don't put it off for 5 months.

Look before you leap.

If something is too good to be true...well, guess what?

Andy, you've been a big proponent of this...let me ask you a question...I saw a thread where you were extraordinarily happy about making a profit on a book.

Some people were upset.

What if that became one of the new "rules"...that you can't make more than a certain amount of profit?

What if, people decide that we have to go by GPA? GPA is not perfect for the books I collect...what use is data that is 10 years old and has been reported on 2 books:?

It's just like anything else, a guide...

Who is going to determine price?

Who is going to determine shipping costs?

Who is going to determine good constructive post counts?

I wish everyone here were just honest and nice and played together well...but a few bad apples will spoil any bunch.

I voted no. I'm an adult, I shop carefully and if I decide to take a chance on someone and I lose...well, I'll have the same breakfast tomorrow because I don't gamble over my head.

I've never minded "thread crapping" though...as long as it was constructive and not just mean.

I'm usually quite impressed with the sleuths:)

you may not be able to impose the post limit, but I believe the technology exists to not allow you to make any posts in X amount of time (limited the new users to PMs only). Maybe your not allowed to make any posts (period) as a waiting period for a week (or whatever time limit the group decides). I think this would be enough to deter those 1st post, same day sellers.

As for the other "scammers" unfortunately you will not be able to do much about those.

The biggest problem I see here, is that the discussion is being talked about a handful of people and not the larger community. I'd be curious to know what some of the other sellers/buyers think but the lack of their input leads me to believe A) they don't care or B) they aren't aware of this discussion

I certainly hope it's B