• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Item was listed here on eBay and sold within a minute to a high volume dealer

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7148282#Post7148282

this leads me to believe that the rules don't matter so why should we even bother adding any more

That is ridiculous. There are many many examples of this happening and the seller being informed and the situation being corrected.

And yet......

If the price is right the rules are forgotten. (thumbs u

Err, that's kind of a Catch 22 perception when you think about it. I mean, if no one "forgot" the rules we would have no PL/HOS list in the first place.

Seen it many times and I have to agree - you will get stepped on as you're posting the rules. That X-men was gone quick. lol

Stepped on or threatened... take your pick ;)

Christ this again? I said it before and will say it again. If someone is threatened they should just speak up. The vast majority of the board would be behind them.

Instead we just have reactive comments. Nothing proactive. Same as with the Rules and the PL/HOS list. Some people are content to just do a drive by and say "It's not worth having" and think that is helpful or somehow effective.

I've asked before - if people are being threatened and you know about it, bring it up.

Who is doing the threatening? And how? I'm sure a ton of people would be interested in knowing more.

And PLEASE don't go through the whole knowing wink thing again as if this is common knowledge amoung everyone here.

If someone is being threatened tell us about it. I would certainly consider such behavior HOS worthy as well as cause for being banned based on the Mods' perspectives. Maybe cleaning out some even well known, popular posters could rectify much of this.

Why not just give Probation list members a custom title they could wear, even if they changed their names? Make it red for extra naughty?

That came up as a suggestion a few years back. It would require CGC involvement to make the change, which they do not get involved with in the sales area other than posting common transaction rules and suggestions.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7148282#Post7148282

this leads me to believe that the rules don't matter so why should we even bother adding any more

That is ridiculous. There are many many examples of this happening and the seller being informed and the situation being corrected.

And yet......

Err, that's kind of a Catch 22 perception when you think about it. I mean, if no one "forgot" the rules we would have no PL/HOS list in the first place.

And that didn't completely avoid the point. Buying from someone breaking the rules is now on par with being on the PL? The PL requires boardies backing it or it is essentially useless. Personally I no longer include the tag line "no PL or HOS members" in my sales threads. (thumbs u

And yet......

Seen it many times and I have to agree - you will get stepped on as you're posting the rules. That X-men was gone quick. lol

Stepped on or threatened... take your pick ;)

I've posted the rules tons of times, never had a problem...unless you count occasionally some new or dumb person making a comment about "board police" a problem. I just ignore those because they are not worth my time and most probably shills anyway.

I agree with Pov, if someone threatens anyone for posting the rules, their posts should be posted here and we should spank them. (the person not the rules)

Prices 3X under GPA and using photos from board members from 2010? Yeah, we don't need a minimum post count...

And Branget is right - all concern, common sense and caution go out the window when someone posts up a ASM 300 9.8 @ $175 and ten people trip over themselves to buy it regardless of what kind of scam it might be. I'm pretty sure that I officially do not care about this topic anymore.

Prices 3X under GPA and using photos from board members from 2010? Yeah, we don't need a minimum post count...

And Branget is right - all concern, common sense and caution go out the window when someone posts up a ASM 300 9.8 @ $175 and ten people trip over themselves to buy it regardless of what kind of scam it might be. I'm pretty sure that I officially do not care about this topic anymore.

The clear warning sign was there once the book pictures started coming up.

Why are all these pictures so different, rather than taken on the same table, or scanned the same way? They seem to be from many different sources.

(shrug)

You just have to step back and not let the excitement throw off your senses when you can.

Are you sure that post counts would matter here? How do you stop people from making dumb decisions? The buyers seem to have a bunch of posts.

And here is his response to using other people's photos: "It would take me hours to pull out my buried slabs under countless boxes of books" Um, weren't you going to have to dig out the buried slabs if you actually intended to, you know, mail them to the buyers? doh!

And here is his response to using other people's photos: "It would take me hours to pull out my buried slabs under countless boxes of books" Um, weren't you going to have to dig out the buried slabs if you actually intended to, you know, mail them to the buyers? doh!

Neely?

RxANn8c.jpg

Is there a discussion for IP address ban for those sellers that try to scam? At least it will limit shill accounts of the same scammer? I remember when i first join the forum, it took me while to know that there is a subforum allow you to sell and buy books. If i see a brand new member know where to go to post a sale thread but doesn't know how to load a picture, to me that is scamming 100%.

I used to support the PL and enjoy the occasional discussion but I stopped caring when it became clear to me PL additions mostly included anyone not following through on a transaction. I offer an unconditional return policy because I believe it's the right thing to do. The PL complicates this policy at best. The HOS is a different story. For me the PL is a heads up but I no longer support it unconditionally.

Are you sure that post counts would matter here? How do you stop people from making dumb decisions? The buyers seem to have a bunch of posts.

I don't post much; but the problem as I see it; is that everyone talks a good game; until the chance to make big dollars start to flash across the screen. Once people start seeing the potential dollar signs they can make off a deal; then common sense and following the rules all go out the window and the only way this will change is for the buyers to not post the :takeit: in the threads that are not following the rules. I just don't see this happening to be honest.

As for post counts matter; I think that POV put it best in his breakdown post. 15 out of the 38 people that were added to the PL list over the last 2 years have fewer then 100 posts; the other 23 people had over 100 posts and 11 out of those 23 had over 1000 posts. This just shows me that post counts don't mean much when it comes to someone being trustworthy.

One thing I've liked about this place; is that people seem for the most part to look out for each other; and to point out potential scams and problem buyers/sellers. While not perfect it does help make me feel better buying from one of the sellers here then on ebay.

Psy

My bet is that Greg just hangs out in the GSA marketplace, and doesn't read anything else, I'm going to send him a link so he will know better next time.

This.

Thanks for the heads up Sharon. I am in and out on the boards these days (mostly out). Have a customer in the market for a low grade XM 1 and this fit the bill. All of that said, I do all I can not to deal with folks on the probation list (regrettably, not the case here). For the most part, I have kept up with board handles that have caused trouble in the past but this one did not ring any alarm bells. Best to all, Greg

Edited to say: I'm sure this has been brought up before but why in the world can't we just block someone until they've made good on any past mistakes and get themselves off of the probation list? We can get a man on the moon in a rocket for crying out loud, this should be easy to implement.

Edited by gregreece

Looks like 72 Hours have passed. I assume you haven't heard anything since? I'll add him to the list :(

I will give him a buzz tonight unlike him to not be active. I know University was holding him down. Anyone with a Venom issue please PM me and will see if I can help sort it out.

Neely?

RxANn8c.jpg

He gotta still be in jail for what he did to his wife (shrug)