• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I don't get it? ???

Is someone forcing you to purchase comic books from an individual on this internet forum board?

Are you doing this under duress?

Is no one here old enough to make a logical and intelligent decision on their very own?

Simply hilarious. :eyeroll:

:applause:

More rules so we can grow the probation list faster, have something to do and (most importantly) increase post counts.

:whee:

Ed/Sharon make the best point which is how/who will enforce.

There's someone who's on the PL list, who's been on there since last December and I see them have sales threads an no one says anything (any people buy their items), which personally baffles me. Unless they have the same name as the person on the PL list, so if they can't be stopped what makes any rules enforceable unless it's something within the technology to allow/disallow

I think it's enforced by the people in the know - lots of people will chime in when someone doesn't include shipping prices, etc - because those are the rules. If we make a minimum post count part of the actual rules, I think it will be mentioned in the sellers threads pretty quickly.

And, it's also up to us to help enforce it. I don't know about anyone else, but I am lurking this site most of the day and usually pop into sales threads just out of curiosity. I know Miraclemet and I have our fair share of pointing out rules to people that either miss or ignore them.

Let's see,

1. who is going to test the posts to see if they meet quality?

will this require another rule? What are considered adequate posts?

Then there will be another rule and another rule...and then we all find the buried treasure (sorry, wrong movie;)

2. What happens when a large dealer who is well known shows up and half the place drools...while the other half tells that person to post 100 times?

3. Someone's relative passes and leaves a fantastic collection ...he/she is a friend of someone, but they are told they need to post 100 times.

4. Someone posts 101 times then runs a scam

5. Many of the scammers have the post counts.

Those are off the top of my head, but I have plenty of posts, so if you really need to do this, I'm not going to get all upset...

HOWEVER.

Has anyone even asked Arch if that will be allowed?

He's the one that posted the rules. We can't sticky something. He will have to agree.

Sharon, you are making way too much sense. (worship)

Why not sticky the probation list at the top of every sales forum, so it can easily be checked..as it is now you have to go out of the sales forum and into another forum...most people just head straight for sales forums and don't check the probation list or maybe don't even know about it. Could bring more attention to who is on the list??

you may not be able to impose the post limit, but I believe the technology exists to not allow you to make any posts in X amount of time (limited the new users to PMs only). Maybe your not allowed to make any posts (period) as a waiting period for a week (or whatever time limit the group decides). I think this would be enough to deter those 1st post, same day sellers.

I can say with 99% certainty that this will never happen. There's no way that CGC is going to put any restrictions on how, why, and when people can post on their message boards. Not going to happen. Period

I've been here over a year, and while that isn't a huge amount of time I haven't racked up a lot of posts in that time. I've never felt the need to post "GLWTS" or "IBTL" or random smilies. I typically think out my posts and if I don't feel like I have anything to add to the conversation I won't say anything. A minimum post count would be both easy to get around and I worry it would limit some of the less talkative members. I realize I don't mean jack to anyone here but I've had a few sales threads and everything went swimmingly. Then again I also read the rules and did my absolute best to make sure I did things correctly the first time.

I can certainly understand wanting to add additional safeguards for newer users but if you're uncertain about purchasing an item from someone for any reason then either get whatever confirmation that you need to ensure things are on the up and up or pass by their thread (IE - don't let greed put you in a position you don't want to be in). This may sound a little preachy here, but I don't believe that adults should need their hands held to make smart choices. Everyone has had deals go sour and hopefully they learn from the experience. I understand that this is a community and I can see both sides of the issue. I just don’t believe that the additional limitations on sellers that are being discussed would really make that much of a difference. I am however much more likely to vote for some sort of length of membership criteria than a raw post count criteria. As long as we don’t then run into people selling accounts...(which believe it or not is an issue on other forums where trust is generally given based on length of membership) I wonder what mine would fetch! :jokealert:

you may not be able to impose the post limit, but I believe the technology exists to not allow you to make any posts in X amount of time (limited the new users to PMs only). Maybe your not allowed to make any posts (period) as a waiting period for a week (or whatever time limit the group decides). I think this would be enough to deter those 1st post, same day sellers.

I can say with 99% certainty that this will never happen. There's no way that CGC is going to put any restrictions on how, why, and when people can post on their message boards. Not going to happen. Period

3cb68e606849c196aa7f6f075e9f3beaec51ff2a62eae36677196313e0afe90a_zps40022ee1.jpg

... I don't believe that adults should need their hands held to make smart choices.

I think you are applying the term "adults" a little liberally to the forum members... :D;)

I agree that the 20% of adults that use this forum don't need hand holding.

But what about the 40% underdeveloped man-children?

or the 20% self righteous entitled elites who know better than any guideline could advise them?

or the 20% of profiteering hucksters who need to be controlled and railed against for turning this hobby into a money making venture?

or 10% of members who just want to post lewd cosplay photos from the latest con?

or the 20% that dont know how to do math or report percentages?

and what about the children?

think-of-the-children-o.gif

Wont somebody please think about the children!?!?

or the 20% self righteous entitled elites who know better than any guideline could advise them?

or the 20% of profiteering hucksters who need to be controlled and railed against for turning this hobby into a money making venture?

or 10% of members who just want to post lewd cosplay photos from the latest con?

Nicely played! lol

... I don't believe that adults should need their hands held to make smart choices.

I think you are applying the term "adults" a little liberally to the forum members... :D;)

and what about the children?

think-of-the-children-o.gif

Wont somebody please think about the children!?!?

What about the "children" who don't read the new rule and buy from someone (with only 99 posts who also ignores the rules) and that bad bad person, then rips off the child of the forum. Are they then not allowed to propose the person who has performed the evil deed go on this list because they themselves have broken a rule?

What about the person shows up and posts their collection, or garage sale find or something they found in the trash, in another forum. A naive "child" then pms them and offers to buy some stuff. A deal is made. The noobie, has only 12 posts.

Does the child get smacked?

Will we need a list of buyers who break the rules? or is this just for sellers?

Can we tell buyers they need 100 posts? New buyers sometimes don't pay people.

There are just so many "what abouts."..it's not perfect, but I think this list does a really good job...

and I hate packing china, so I keep reading the responses, much more entertaining.

NOTICE: This user's posts cannot be officially released as they have not achieved a 34,000 post count and must be reviewed by a moderator beforehand.

:o

:popcorn:

You may have more posts than I do, but you're still a noob, noob!

NOTICE: This user's posts cannot be officially released as they have not achieved a 34,000 post count and must be reviewed by a moderator beforehand.

:o

:popcorn:

You may have more posts than I do, but you're still a noob, noob!

:fear:

I will raise again the point I've raised before -- which is always ignored lol -- if scams continue at their current frequency, I would guess Arch will eventually just close the sales threads down. Particularly if someone loses his shirt in a scam and contacts CGC asking for redress since they host the selling forum.

CGC has only, at best, an indirect stake in allowing a sales forum on their discussion board. If it becomes a problem, I doubt they would hesitate to shut it down.

I will raise again the point I've raised before -- which is always ignored lol -- if scams continue at their current frequency, I would guess Arch will eventually just close the sales threads down. Particularly if someone loses his shirt in a scam and contacts CGC asking for redress since they host the selling forum.

CGC has only, at best, an indirect stake in allowing a sales forum on their discussion board. If it becomes a problem, I doubt they would hesitate to shut it down.

I don't ignore this point, as it is valid. Killing the goose that laid the golden egg would be the worst of all possible worlds.

I agree, but that's not the problem.

How are you going to stop someone from losing their shirt?

Do you really think post counts will do that?

Maybe we need a disclaimer on the top of the selling forum that says

1. Do use Common Sense while purchasing

2. Do not make purchases after a bad break up, drinking, taking prescription pain killers or illegal drugs.

3. If you mess with a member, DrX is going to find the tooth puller and he (the tooth guy) will go after you.

Just a general question here:

I was going through the PL and noticed we have a "Jackstostart". on the list. Problem is there are no posts etc. by this username but there are by Jacks2start (Jacks2 vs Jacksto).

Are these the same people? Did somehow the name got fudged, or he changed his name? I also can't find any name change record.

Any idea if I should change the name from Jacksto to Jacks2?

Here is a breakdown over the last 2 years (and a bit more) of post counts and PL members. I have left off HOS as many of them have been banned and the availability of their post counts resemble unobtainium. But a lot of us know HOSers have had a lot more than 100 posts.

The bottom line first:

Total PL members since March 2011 - 38

Less than ... 100 posts - 15 … 39.5%

More than … 100 posts...23 … 60.5%

Breaking this down further:

100-200 posts ... 4

201-300 posts ... 2

301- 600 posts ... 6

Over 1000 posts ... 11

Note the over 1000 posts at 11 is only 4 less than the under 100 posts (15). That is a bit troubling.

One thing we really do need to be careful of is bringing Arch into this to have him do more than he has already done.He has made it clear that Forum Sales is basically self-policing and he has been more than generous in setting up the sales rules and PL List sticky topics.and even adding at times to the PL rules (such as No Paypal Personal in the post and no non-CGC TPG sales).

But this is and should be up to us to police in a positive way. There are many people here who are doing this now. I see some wise folk asking new sellers such as "Can you provide references or have a long time member here vouch for you?"

This is how we should approach things as they are now.

As has been said, common sense should play a big role here.

For reference below is the list since March 2011 with the post count at the end.

panahobit … 3/8/11 … 227

SAGAT … … 4/29/11 … 513

holyghost - … 6/30/11 … 40

Hammerhead … 7/27/11 … 1676

Marvelguy34 … 8/5/11 … 1632

itsatoy67 … 9/21/11 … 6

ZoMbiE13 … 9/21/11 … 98

Tyson … 10/7/11 … 13

daken2626 … 10/14/11 … 246

rza808 … 10/18/11 … 2348

GoodAsh … 1/10/12 … 1043

Akiyama … 2/15/12 … 43

Xalechim … 4/24/12 … 29

Joey21 … 5/11/12 … 71

50s Horror Buff … 5/24/12 … 543

Goosie … 6/6/12 … 34

WDMARVELCOMICS aka WalkingDeadComics … 6/16/12 … 1550

phobalicious aka darkness4life … 7/19/12 … 121

Jackstostart … 7/30/12 … 1461 (using Jack2start post count - could be wrong - see my previous post)

YUJIRO … 8/30/12 … 124

excelsior1986 … 9/9/12 … 2076

vacantpassenger … 11/11/12 … 509

picklepuss … 11/27/12 … 64

tangelwood42 … 11/28/12 … 388

pmahoney74 … 12/22/12 … 78

JMG … 12/26/12 … 63

Webhead1981 … 12/26/12 … 1012

Winter Soldier … 12/26/12 … 7

Campbelljh3 (Soup 1998) … 1/4/13 … 538

Babygorilla … 2/2/13 … 74

mrmaha … 4/7/13 … 108