• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Manufactured Gold

2,576 posts in this topic

If CGC doesn't see anything wrong with disassembling and reassembling comics, then it's over. Time to lock up and learn how to grade coins because you've COMPLETELY LOST any idea of what original condition comics are. And you've lost what credibility you had.

Dude, you've just made my Sig Line! thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Besides...how do you propose to detect this with 100% infallability???...

Should NEVER be an issue.

How do you guarantee you'll always catch the murderer?

You don't...but it's still murder.

I'm just reiterating what sborock stated...that if staple removal is detected then the label will reflect that...

All murders aren't solved and sometimes the wrong person is indicted... confused-smiley-013.gif

if a book has 2 covers and one is removed and then the staples are reinserted with only one cover...this is restoration???...how so...you have actually taken something away from the book yet it is virtually the same book...

Or how about this one:

if a book has rough edges and they are trimmed, this is restoration???...how so...you have actually taken something away from the book yet it is virtually the same book...

Less was taken from the trimmed book then the book in your example. confused-smiley-013.gif

Apples and oranges... screwy.gif...oh...and can you say Ewert... gossip.gif

if a book has 2 covers and one is removed and then the staples are reinserted with only one cover...this is restoration???...how so...you have actually taken something away from the book yet it is virtually the same book...

Or how about this one:

if a book has rough edges and they are trimmed, this is restoration???...how so...you have actually taken something away from the book yet it is virtually the same book...

Less was taken from the trimmed book then the book in your example. confused-smiley-013.gif

Apples and oranges... screwy.gif...oh...and can you say Ewert... gossip.gif

I don't see it as apples and oranges. I see it as the same thing. Removing parts is removing parts. Taking off a rough edge on an otherwise nice book is no different then taking the lesser of two covers off IMO.

oh...and can you say Ewert... gossip.gif

I don't get your point. confused-smiley-013.gif

did they not catch trimming 100% of the time on his books???...

No, they didn't, but I still don't see your point.

If you're accusing me of beating around the bush and not "saying" something outright, but instead "hinting" something, then you really haven't been paying attention to my posts over the last four+ years. Me? Hinting? 27_laughing.gif

I'm thinking I just don't understand what you're getting at.

If you're accusing me of beating around the bush and not "saying" something outright

Thanks alot Brian...I just spewed seltzer outta my nose!!!... sumo.gif

I'm just saying that staple removal and reinsertion cannot be detected 100% of the time...I thought you were saying that it can and should...get to the point dammit!!!... 27_laughing.gif

There is no restoration to be found here.

Obviously, someone opened the staples, switched the covers back to their original manufactured positions, put the staples back in their original positions, probably pressed the book, and someone, whether it was the one who did the work or someone who bought it, submitted it.As I have stated before, if nothing was added, CGC does not consider it restoration. There was no restoration (glue, reinforcement, color touch, etc) to be found on this book.

I keep going back to this explanation.

And after reading it and re reading it, one line sticks in my craw.

"As I have stated before, if nothing was added, CGC does not consider it restoration."

This is what it all boils down to isn't it?

Glue you can see, CT you can see, Sealed tears you can see etc..etc. All these things are tangible added components to a comic book with the intent to enahnce it's appearence. All these things are also easily seen to the trained eye. And all these things are considered added restoration.

Even if they are VERY done well, they are for all intentional purposes , detectable.

But disassembled, staple swapped/tucked, cover switcherood, dry cleaned, pressed , franken books..... while worked on to improve and enhance the book, are for the most part undetectable so we decided to not consider these procedures restoration.

So there, we are off the hook.

tongue.gif

But disassembled, staple swapped/tucked, cover switcherood, dry cleaned, pressed , franken books..... while worked on to improve and enhance the book, are for the most part undetectable so we decided to not consider these procedures restoration.

Unless they are detected... foreheadslap.gif

If you're accusing me of beating around the bush and not "saying" something outright

I'm just saying that staple removal and reinsertion cannot be detected 100% of the time...I thought you were saying that it can and should...get to the point dammit!!!... 27_laughing.gif

I can't even remember what we were talking about, much less my point. insane.gif

I can't even remember what we were talking about, much less my point. insane.gif

You said " Hulk can jump really far"

He said " No he can't"

You got mad and left.

tongue.gif

Ze-

You said " Hulk can jump really far"

He said " No he can't"

You got mad and left.

tongue.gif

Ze-

Well, in that case, he's wrong and I'm right. End of story. sumo.gif

"As I have stated before, if nothing was added, CGC does not consider it restoration."

This is what it all boils down to isn't it?

Glue you can see, CT you can see, Sealed tears you can see etc..etc. All these things are tangible added components to a comic book with the intent to enahnce it's appearence. All these things are also easily seen to the trained eye. And all these things are considered added restoration.

Even if they are VERY done well, they are for all intentional purposes , detectable.

So there, we are off the hook.

tongue.gif

If they can't see it, it doesn't exist.

I can understand that they can't catch every comic that has been altered.

But to say that there is nothing wrong with altering a book as long as nothing was added... that I can't understand.

Didnt even Matt Nelson say that dissembling a book is stepping over the boundaries of what is considered restoration and what is not.

If he did he probably doesn't recall saying so after reading Borock's warped "disassembly isn't resto" policy... insane.gif

Jim

It boils down to...if you're good enough, we won't call it resto. If you're sh!te at it, you'll pay.

Someone told me once

That there's a right and wrong,

And that punishment

Would come to those

Who dare to cross the line.

Consequences dictate

Our course of action.

It doesnt matter what's right.

Its only wrong if you get caught.

If consequences dictate

My course of action

I should play god

And shoot you myself.

I'm very tired of waiting.

Maynard James Keenan and his obscure little band.