• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Manufactured Gold

2,576 posts in this topic

Any comic that has been disassembled should have that is BOLD & CAPS on the right side of the label. Maybe it hasn't been "restored" but it's definately been ALTERED.

So true. If CGC does not believe this to be restoration, put the notation on the label so the customer can decide if the disassembly is material to the purchase price.

Seeing as I am generally a non-conformist I agree with your premise but disagree with your stance against CGC itself... tongue.gif

sborock =

When a book is only disassembled AND the staples are not put back correctly the submitter also takes a big chance of getting a qualified grade for staples replaced

We seem to be going around in circles here...I read Steves response differently and it seems we'll just have to agree to dis-agree... makepoint.gif

Basically what he's saying is....you're allowed to do it...just make sure you do a good job. Like Matt.

If it ain't detected then you must aquit... you "guys" seem to be acting under the premise that a book has been restored unless it has been found not to be...

Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty... confused-smiley-013.gif

Seeing as I am generally a non-conformist I agree with your premise but disagree with your stance against CGC itself... tongue.gif

sborock =

When a book is only disassembled AND the staples are not put back correctly the submitter also takes a big chance of getting a qualified grade for staples replaced

We seem to be going around in circles here...I read Steves response differently and it seems we'll just have to agree to dis-agree... makepoint.gif

Basically what he's saying is....you're allowed to do it...just make sure you do a good job. Like Matt.

If it ain't detected then you must aquit... you "guys" seem to be acting under the premise that a book has been restored unless it has been found not to be...

Where have you been the last three years? makepoint.gif

So true. If CGC does not believe this to be restoration, put the notation on the label so the customer can decide if the disassembly is material to the purchase price.

If it is proven then the book will recieved an other-than-blue label...

sborock =

Where have you been the last three years? makepoint.gif

"Flyin' high on a rocket cycle..."... smile.gif

the real problem here is that this train left the station when CGC first arrived. The immediate acceptance of a third party grading company which (1) set a definition for restored comics when the collecting community had for years debated what constituted restoration and, most importantly, (2) never even published their grading criteria for all to see. Without the set bounderies in place they are free to alter the definition whenever convenient (i.e. easy to do, use or get to, handy).

Isn't this the crux of every problem that has arisen?

CGC marched into town. The villagers -- blinded by dollar signs -- greeted them with wine and roses and turned over the keys to the kingdom... no questions asked.

Several years later we are seeing the blowback of unintended consequences.

The collecting community can moan all it wants, but we handed them the sword.

the real problem here is that this train left the station when CGC first arrived. The immediate acceptance of a third party grading company which (1) set a definition for restored comics when the collecting community had for years debated what constituted restoration and, most importantly, (2) never even published their grading criteria for all to see. Without the set bounderies in place they are free to alter the definition whenever convenient (i.e. easy to do, use or get to, handy).

CGC marched into town. The villagers -- blinded by dollar signs -- greeted them with wine and roses and turned over the keys to the kingdom... no questions asked.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

80px-Trojan-horse.jpg

I've made this point as well some time back. Totally agree here.

I will be making full disclosure (not that there is much to make) on these boards about the books I sell on Heritage. I can safely say that to my knowledge none has been pressed or disassembled, and in the case of the Western Penns I'm consigning, I've been told by Tom Hanlin/Linmoth, who is the person who submitted them to CGC, that they were not pressed or otherwise "maximized".

So collectors who care about this hobby should scarf them up to keep them out of the hands of those who are taking advantage of CGC's continued back-sliding.

Like......um.......Heritage?

If only your personal conviction were as strong as your expectation of others............

Discussing the origins of the problem will only get you so far. The point is...how does the collecting community move forward from here?

One thing to do, which has been going on for a while now, is to demand a less-compromised and more open operation from CGC, to apply steady pressure, and to make it clear to them that they will become less important to the serious collector if things don't change.

Credibility and goodwill, as I've said before, is one of a company's most valuable assets. And I'm not talking about free drinks at the bar.

I will be making full disclosure (not that there is much to make) on these boards about the books I sell on Heritage. I can safely say that to my knowledge none has been pressed or disassembled, and in the case of the Western Penns I'm consigning, I've been told by Tom Hanlin/Linmoth, who is the person who submitted them to CGC, that they were not pressed or otherwise "maximized".

So collectors who care about this hobby should scarf them up to keep them out of the hands of those who are taking advantage of CGC's continued back-sliding.

If only your personal conviction were as strong as your expectation of others............

Ever the opportunist, eh? You are full of it, Tim.

Collectors who care about the hobby don't buy from Heritage. Well...at least I don't. yay.gif

Collectors who care about the hobby don't buy from Heritage. Well...at least I don't. yay.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Or sell........