• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,913 posts in this topic

On 5/19/2022 at 11:35 AM, littledoom said:

Oh man. The Hulk 181 guy musta be there the night b4. No ASM 129?

He was - said he got there at 9 pm last night.  Complained that there were rats and raccoons scurrying around all night.  Think he just slept on the porch.

I was there about 2 hours and 15 minutes before it opened and I was 5th in line.  I thought 3 of the 4 in front of me "looked like" comic guys but only that first guy was, which is the only reason I could get what I did.  There were a bunch behind me and it surprised me they were "late" as they posted pictures on Monday of the two big books and several of the Spidey's which you had to know was going to bring all the boys to the yard.

There was no #129, but there were probably 10 other books between #130 and #164 but they were not as good as these four at first glance - spine damage/ticks, creases etc.  

On 5/19/2022 at 11:46 AM, MattTheDuck said:

He was - said he got there at 9 pm last night.  Complained that there were rats and raccoons scurrying around all night.  Think he just slept on the porch.

I was there about 2 hours and 15 minutes before it opened and I was 5th in line.  I thought 3 of the 4 in front of me "looked like" comic guys but only that first guy was, which is the only reason I could get what I did.  There were a bunch behind me and it surprised me they were "late" as they posted pictures on Monday of the two big books and several of the Spidey's which you had to know was going to bring all the boys to the yard.

There was no #129, but there were probably 10 other books between #130 and #164 but they were not as good as these four at first glance - spine damage/ticks, creases etc.  

there was a time when companies didn’t look at eBay for prices. Just blanket $1-5 each pricing 

On 5/19/2022 at 1:40 PM, littledoom said:

there was a time when companies didn’t look at eBay for prices. Just blanket $1-5 each pricing 

Yeah, this Estate Sale guy knows comics, but he's also usually willing to negotiate a bit.  

I'd say my Estate Sale was a success if I got $4100 for a single item like a comic book.  I didn't get a look at the book, but it was raw of course and probably fully valued and maybe overvalued.

On 5/19/2022 at 3:44 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Yeah, this Estate Sale guy knows comics, but he's also usually willing to negotiate a bit.  

I'd say my Estate Sale was a success if I got $4100 for a single item like a comic book.  I didn't get a look at the book, but it was raw of course and probably fully valued and maybe overvalued.

100%, pretty big risk paying that much under duress and in a rush. $4100 seems like a pretty specific price too, so I'm guessing at best he paid retail. I hope there's no inconspicuous color touch, etc...

On 5/19/2022 at 1:47 PM, ramrodcar said:

100%, pretty big risk paying that much under duress and in a rush. $4100 seems like a pretty specific price too, so I'm guessing at best he paid retail. I hope there's no inconspicuous color touch, etc...

Yeah, he took a few minutes at least to check through it, did the page count, etc.  There's a sale posted on GPA this month right at that price for a 4.0. Can't tell a lot from the picture, but it looks like there could be some spine damage.

IH - 181 - ODD.jpg

On 5/19/2022 at 2:09 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Yeah, he took a few minutes at least to check through it, did the page count, etc.  There's a sale posted on GPA this month right at that price for a 4.0. Can't tell a lot from the picture, but it looks like there could be some spine damage.

IH - 181 - ODD.jpg

The 1st guy at an estate sale who went the day b4 got one for $500 in VF condition about 5 yrs ago. A dealer friend got one for $2-3 in GD condition about 2-3 years ago by luck. Only advertised was a small stack/pile of badly beaten bronze comics. He then sold it right then and there to another comic estate sale goer for $600 outside. He was reluctant but wanted to make the guy happy. I've never owned a copy

Edited by littledoom

On 5/19/2022 at 8:16 PM, MattTheDuck said:

It's one of the things I lucked into in this hobby - bought it "off the stand" because I was buying Hulk at the time, not because of Wolverine or any other reason.  I don't think I even knew it was a valuable book until about 18 months ago which tells you how much attention I've paid to comics in the last few decades.

IH - 181.jpg

Not a bad looking copy!

On 5/21/2022 at 11:44 AM, srezvan said:

I had a booth at a small/medium sized toy show last weekend. Show attendance post-COVID was huge, so I expected a big crowd. It ended up being a bit of a let down after a strong opening. My buddy got a booth next to me, so we chatted a bit, and that part was fun. I didn't get to walk around as much as my helper wasn't with me, so I went the whole show without buying anything. Very unusual. At the end of the show, while packing up, I threw a hail mary to the vendor to the other side of me. We had chatted a few times and he's trying to get rid of all his non-horror items so he can focus his setups on horror items. He had a bin of vintage Star Wars and a ton of TMNT. I had my eye on his reissue Party Wagon, so he pulled out a few horror magazines and books from my boxes, I threw in $10, and we had a deal. We were both happy.  What's better than one trade? How about two! So I threw another offer his way - my Walking Dead comics and a couple other random horror comic sets for his small bin of vintage Star Wars figures . I knew there were few accessories, but I needed some of them and wanted to get rid of the comics. Trade two was done and it made for a nice afternoon. He also threw in a bag of vending machine TMNT toys for my kids.

20220515_060241.thumb.jpg.59bbc1d93e243d147f82af6369b55ec1.jpg

I got the yard sale bug again, so I've been checking for them more frequently. I saw this ad last night: 

image.png.801c9bab27c4c0df578397d35283090d.png

It was ~40 minutes away. No pictures posted and no way to contact the seller. My wife and I were both up early, and she told me to just go. My daughter and I drove up and saw this:

image.thumb.jpeg.fe95babd341dcd0552115652a19204fb.jpeg

The box was stuffed, so I could barely see anything inside. After about 10 seconds of looking, I hear the mom ask the adult son how much he wanted for the comics. He said 50 cents each, or $30 for all of them. I gave him $30 without looking at more than a few books. I still need to go through the box thoroughly, but I pulled these on my first pass:

image.thumb.jpeg.53c649784b6ed9c9c0699109e6a6002e.jpeg

20220521_091440.thumb.jpg.eaaaa7ac0885b3cfb7a58ac4e6aa3776.jpg

20220521_091524.thumb.jpg.0cfdd8be287e91fac49ac66806d605b1.jpg

20220521_091608.thumb.jpg.91025efe3ca34de4258aa765be23a26b.jpg

20220521_091649.thumb.jpg.9fb1e8649706f22cdd63b9f368cb5760.jpg

The Transformers #1 was tucked inside another comic. There's a full Silver Surfer run from 1-50+.

I have my eye on one more collection tonight!

:wishluck: for tonight, and not bad so far!

On 5/21/2022 at 9:44 AM, srezvan said:

I had a booth at a small/medium sized toy show last weekend. Show attendance post-COVID was huge, so I expected a big crowd. It ended up being a bit of a let down after a strong opening. My buddy got a booth next to me, so we chatted a bit, and that part was fun. I didn't get to walk around as much as my helper wasn't with me, so I went the whole show without buying anything. Very unusual. At the end of the show, while packing up, I threw a hail mary to the vendor to the other side of me. We had chatted a few times and he's trying to get rid of all his non-horror items so he can focus his setups on horror items. He had a bin of vintage Star Wars and a ton of TMNT. I had my eye on his reissue Party Wagon, so he pulled out a few horror magazines and books from my boxes, I threw in $10, and we had a deal. We were both happy.  What's better than one trade? How about two! So I threw another offer his way - my Walking Dead comics and a couple other random horror comic sets for his small bin of vintage Star Wars figures . I knew there were few accessories, but I needed some of them and wanted to get rid of the comics. Trade two was done and it made for a nice afternoon. He also threw in a bag of vending machine TMNT toys for my kids.

20220515_060241.thumb.jpg.59bbc1d93e243d147f82af6369b55ec1.jpg

I got the yard sale bug again, so I've been checking for them more frequently. I saw this ad last night: 

image.png.801c9bab27c4c0df578397d35283090d.png

It was ~40 minutes away. No pictures posted and no way to contact the seller. My wife and I were both up early, and she told me to just go. My daughter and I drove up and saw this:

image.thumb.jpeg.fe95babd341dcd0552115652a19204fb.jpeg

The box was stuffed, so I could barely see anything inside. After about 10 seconds of looking, I hear the mom ask the adult son how much he wanted for the comics. He said 50 cents each, or $30 for all of them. I gave him $30 without looking at more than a few books. I still need to go through the box thoroughly, but I pulled these on my first pass:

image.thumb.jpeg.53c649784b6ed9c9c0699109e6a6002e.jpeg

20220521_091440.thumb.jpg.eaaaa7ac0885b3cfb7a58ac4e6aa3776.jpg

20220521_091524.thumb.jpg.0cfdd8be287e91fac49ac66806d605b1.jpg

20220521_091608.thumb.jpg.91025efe3ca34de4258aa765be23a26b.jpg

20220521_091649.thumb.jpg.9fb1e8649706f22cdd63b9f368cb5760.jpg

The Transformers #1 was tucked inside another comic. There's a full Silver Surfer run from 1-50+.

I have my eye on one more collection tonight!

On what platform was that ad posted?

On 5/19/2022 at 6:16 PM, MattTheDuck said:

It's one of the things I lucked into in this hobby - bought it "off the stand" because I was buying Hulk at the time, not because of Wolverine or any other reason.  I don't think I even knew it was a valuable book until about 18 months ago which tells you how much attention I've paid to comics in the last few decades.

IH - 181.jpg

Bought mine off the stands as well. Over the years, bought a few copies “out in the wild” cheap. Those days are pretty much gone forever.

Funny thing is, I could care less about it. I keep it because it is in high grade and has such potential. If I ever really needed the money, I would sell it with no regrets. But I don’t need the money. 

On 5/21/2022 at 10:33 AM, Robot Man said:

Bought mine off the stands as well. Over the years, bought a few copies “out in the wild” cheap. Those days are pretty much gone forever.

Funny thing is, I could care less about it. I keep it because it is in high grade and has such potential. If I ever really needed the money, I would sell it with no regrets. But I don’t need the money. 

Honestly, I find it kind of surreal.  It's like, "I told you these would be valuable someday, Mom."  I think it's the only time she was ever wrong.

On 5/21/2022 at 9:48 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

:wishluck: for tonight, and not bad so far!

It happened...31 Joes all with broken O rings, plus 2 bags of loose accessories. Going through it now, but :smile:

I changed all the O rings already. Having my 5 year old look up parts on WHOBIT and match them up...priceless. Pics later.

Last week, I responded to a post on OfferUp to purchase a GI Joe lot. Guy was asking $300. I said I'd take it, cash, I can come right away. Deal done, I thought, then a few minutes later, he replied that he got a lot of messages, and now he's asking $500. I told him I was out, mostly just out of annoyance. Someone else bought the lot and it's now up on OfferUp for $1,500 (I'm fairly confident it's the same lot, or at least parts of it). Not a good day. I should have just paid the jerk and got the Joes.

This week, a new (unrelated) GI Joe lot was up. Just figures, clearly broken O rings, lots of accessories. It's a hike from my house, so I asked if he would happen to be downtown, rather than out in the suburbs, and got no response. I messaged again in the middle of the week to negotiate on price and meet up. No response. I happened to be near the area to purchase the comic lot in the morning, so I tried one last time and the guy actually responded...then nothing. So I went home. Eventually, I was able to get a response from him, we agreed on the price, and I drove back to the city again and got the lot. Guy was nice. I told him I'd repair the Joes with my son, and he asked if I wanted a bin of vehicle parts for free. Of course.

~31 figures, some complete, some not. Lots of extra weapons. I already replaced all the O rings and organized ~90% of the non-vehicle parts. Some to keep, some to sell/trade. Two collections in one day! I'll eventually get better pics of the figures.

20220521_160159.jpg

20220521_155502.jpg

I don't know see anything wrong with the seller asking $500 if it's still a very good price, it's their stuff to sell - assuming you can drive there and actually buy it for $500.  What I don't like are the sellers that jerk you around.  A few weeks back someone posted a few long boxes for free (they were out to the curb).  I wasn't going to bother since it didn't seem like it was worth my time, but I had an excuse to drive out there (maybe 20 minutes from my house), and told the seller I'd give $40.  She said sure, but then later responded with saying they were gone (someone grabbed them, which is quite possible).  A week later they're back listed for sale with a best offer by the seller....

On 5/21/2022 at 1:33 PM, Robot Man said:

I bought 180,181 &182 from a co-worker for $15 bucks back in 85. :angel: 

On 5/22/2022 at 6:25 AM, spreads said:

I don't know see anything wrong with the seller asking $500 if it's still a very good price, it's their stuff to sell - assuming you can drive there and actually buy it for $500.  What I don't like are the sellers that jerk you around.  A few weeks back someone posted a few long boxes for free (they were out to the curb).  I wasn't going to bother since it didn't seem like it was worth my time, but I had an excuse to drive out there (maybe 20 minutes from my house), and told the seller I'd give $40.  She said sure, but then later responded with saying they were gone (someone grabbed them, which is quite possible).  A week later they're back listed for sale with a best offer by the seller....

that-is-bait.gif