• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,892 posts in this topic

On 6/3/2022 at 1:22 PM, Beastfeast said:

Yesterday was a WILD adventure in looking at collections in the south. 

1st was way out in the literal middle of no where.  The town only had a church and 2 houses that flanked it.  I didn't see another house for 30 minutes before the one the books were at.  Ended up being a kid selling his brother's comics.  He wanted way too much for everything so I did the @shadroch method and told him I'd take 50 books at the price I would be willing to buy all of them.  He let me take the 50 and I don't have to deal with 5 long boxes of the most unsellable junk.  Nothing super exciting but enough to justify the trip.

The 2nd was one of the more messed up I've ever experienced.  Responded to an OfferUp ad at 9:30 PM where he had UXM266, NM87 and late 80s/early 90s keys pictured.  Dude answers the door and his place is WRECKED.  He tells me it's because his crazy ex broke into his house and smashed all his stuff so he had to "fortify" the doors and windows so she doesn't come back.  He's talking a mile a minute about kids and baby-mommas and for sure was meth'd out.  I gave him the cash, we talked for a second about I don't even know what.  As I'm walking out, there's a dude I hadn't seen until this point who's passed out while sort of standing, sort of leaning his face against the wall near the door - shirtless and FILTHY.  The guy I bought the books from kicks him and he wakes up and starts slapping the door knob and being erratic and talking gibberish.  Then I noticed the pipe, tin foil and lighter.  But it was weird because I've certainly never passed out like that from freebasing so I'm guessing heroine?  Maybe opium?  

My worst comic buying experience wasn't quite this bad. It did begin with me texting my wife (something like), "During lunch I'm going downtown to buy more comics from the meth addict."  Later my wife asked why I would go BACK go that neighborhood to buy comics and I just said, "Comics?" (shrug) He pulled a bait and switch on our third deal, so we stopped doing business after that.

On 6/3/2022 at 5:21 PM, srezvan said:

My worst comic buying experience wasn't quite this bad. It did begin with me texting my wife (something like), "During lunch I'm going downtown to buy more comics from the meth addict."  Later my wife asked why I would go BACK go that neighborhood to buy comics and I just said, "Comics?" (shrug) He pulled a bait and switch on our third deal, so we stopped doing business after that.

One of the best collections I ever bought was one of the sketchiest. An unplugged refrigerator in a garage. All Atomic Age. Was in one of the worst and toughest neighborhoods in town. Went in, just fanned the stacks, paid the guy and split with my heart pounding. Found out later, they were gang members. Knowing what I know now, I probably wouldn’t have even gone there. 

On 6/5/2022 at 7:23 AM, Tempus Fugit said:

I cherry picked a small collection of mostly moderns from a guy that contacted me through the antique mall I sell at. 

Notably he had some gold key Star Trek compilation books, and I just could not convince him he did not have an ST 1.

I was pleasantly surprised when I flipped this open after I got them home.

omac_1_1_small.jpg

omac_1_2_small.jpg

Perfect signature placement. :x

On 6/5/2022 at 5:50 PM, yecul said:

Got a little lot off marketplace today. Lower/Mid grade but some fun stuff for the price.

16544694153914888401790335311309.jpg

Definitely. That shazam is fun!

Kung fu fighter belongs in the under rated thread newly started in the bronze forum :)

That Joker can be a good read, just fun!  ^^

It's amazing the kind of random stuff you run into at these sales.  This was published in 1977 by one Geoffrey Mandel (out of his NYC apartment for all I can tell) and it reminds me of the kinds of things my friends and I "published" in those days.

Starfleet Handbook - Aliens of Star Trek.jpg

On 6/3/2022 at 4:22 PM, Beastfeast said:

Yesterday was a WILD adventure in looking at collections in the south. 

1st was way out in the literal middle of no where.  The town only had a church and 2 houses that flanked it.  I didn't see another house for 30 minutes before the one the books were at.  Ended up being a kid selling his brother's comics.  He wanted way too much for everything so I did the @shadroch method and told him I'd take 50 books at the price I would be willing to buy all of them.  He let me take the 50 and I don't have to deal with 5 long boxes of the most unsellable junk.  Nothing super exciting but enough to justify the trip.

The 2nd was one of the more messed up I've ever experienced.  Responded to an OfferUp ad at 9:30 PM where he had UXM266, NM87 and late 80s/early 90s keys pictured.  Dude answers the door and his place is WRECKED.  He tells me it's because his crazy ex broke into his house and smashed all his stuff so he had to "fortify" the doors and windows so she doesn't come back.  He's talking a mile a minute about kids and baby-mommas and for sure was meth'd out.  I gave him the cash, we talked for a second about I don't even know what.  As I'm walking out, there's a dude I hadn't seen until this point who's passed out while sort of standing, sort of leaning his face against the wall near the door - shirtless and FILTHY.  The guy I bought the books from kicks him and he wakes up and starts slapping the door knob and being erratic and talking gibberish.  Then I noticed the pipe, tin foil and lighter.  But it was weird because I've certainly never passed out like that from freebasing so I'm guessing heroine?  Maybe opium?  

What do you think the odds that the comics were his?  

On 6/4/2022 at 11:16 AM, Robot Man said:

One of the best collections I ever bought was one of the sketchiest. An unplugged refrigerator in a garage. All Atomic Age. Was in one of the worst and toughest neighborhoods in town. Went in, just fanned the stacks, paid the guy and split with my heart pounding. Found out later, they were gang members. Knowing what I know now, I probably wouldn’t have even gone there. 

1000% stolen, but hey - fortune favors the bold!  Definitely the risk of, we'll take your money - and your wallet and car too!  lol

Edited by spreads

On 6/6/2022 at 8:47 AM, spreads said:

What do you think the odds that the comics were his?  

Think they were definitely his. He had a bunch of toys and other stuff like that all in similar beat but complete condition. From late 80s, mainly. He was also the right age for it and was able to talk with enough familiarity that it made sense they were his. 

could be wrong, though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

On 6/6/2022 at 5:48 AM, spreads said:

1000% stolen, but hey - fortune favors the bold!  Definitely the risk of, we'll take your money - and your wallet and car too!  lol

I don’t think so. They were raw and unbagged stored on shelves in an unplugged refrigerator in the garage. Didn’t seem to have been owned by a “collector”. The guy told me they were there when he moved in. I really don’t know one way or the other. Just a gut feeling. To be honest, I didn’t give it much thought. I just wanted to get in and out as quickly as possible. Was a long time ago. Due to the storage metheod, they were beautiful. The standouts I remember were a Capt. America #74 and a couple Frazetta Famous Funnies. I really didn’t know they were in there until I got home. 

Saw an ad yesterday picturing a 181 with a description of 200 hulk and Star Wars comics (full run of the latter)....I had some appointments in the evening, eventually met the guy at his place around 7:30 PM and saw the books.  The seller was a tradesman that was doing renos on a house and found a box of comics in the attic...he was a nice guy, but talked a mile a minute and was a bit all over the place.  The Star Wars was a full run, the condition varied but issue 1 was probably the ugliest copy I've ever seen, lol.   The hulks were solid, straight run from the 100s well into the 200s, condition varied with these as well - mostly mid grade, some lower, some upper - certainly not 'MINT' as described and not worth the 50k the guy thought they were.  I put the 181 around a 4.5/5.0, maybe higher but it had some staining and writing on the back - but overall presented well.   He was really pushing me for a price, but I didn't want to take on the work of selling all the other books I didn't want (everything minus the 180/181, lol)....he told me they were definitely going to sell last night and that someone was paying him $7k CAD, with a $3500 deposit already emailed to him (which sounds like total BS but that's what he said)....I ended up leaving since I had to get home, even though he was really trying to get me to buy them then and there.  I told him I wouldn't have offered that so we left it at that, but said if he gets 7k that's a very good price and should be happy with it.  

Last thing, he said he does renos so I asked for his business card or if he had a website and he had neither, lol....I made some joke about trying to give him business but then laughed it off and left.   We'll see if the add is still up in a few days, I might follow up with him....

On 6/8/2022 at 9:18 AM, spreads said:

Saw an ad yesterday picturing a 181 with a description of 200 hulk and Star Wars comics (full run of the latter)....I had some appointments in the evening, eventually met the guy at his place around 7:30 PM and saw the books.  The seller was a tradesman that was doing renos on a house and found a box of comics in the attic...he was a nice guy, but talked a mile a minute and was a bit all over the place.  The Star Wars was a full run, the condition varied but issue 1 was probably the ugliest copy I've ever seen, lol.   The hulks were solid, straight run from the 100s well into the 200s, condition varied with these as well - mostly mid grade, some lower, some upper - certainly not 'MINT' as described and not worth the 50k the guy thought they were.  I put the 181 around a 4.5/5.0, maybe higher but it had some staining and writing on the back - but overall presented well.   He was really pushing me for a price, but I didn't want to take on the work of selling all the other books I didn't want (everything minus the 180/181, lol)....he told me they were definitely going to sell last night and that someone was paying him $7k CAD, with a $3500 deposit already emailed to him (which sounds like total BS but that's what he said)....I ended up leaving since I had to get home, even though he was really trying to get me to buy them then and there.  I told him I wouldn't have offered that so we left it at that, but said if he gets 7k that's a very good price and should be happy with it.  

Last thing, he said he does renos so I asked for his business card or if he had a website and he had neither, lol....I made some joke about trying to give him business but then laughed it off and left.   We'll see if the add is still up in a few days, I might follow up with him....

Not sure how much of his story is true, but assuming someone did send him a deposit of $3500 -- shouldn't that be end of it, and not shopping for more offers?

Or, is this acceptable for sellers to do until they get all of the money?

On 6/8/2022 at 7:37 AM, manetteska said:

Not sure how much of his story is true, but assuming someone did send him a deposit of $3500 -- shouldn't that be end of it, and not shopping for more offers?

Or, is this acceptable for sellers to do until they get all of the money?

There is apparently nothing acceptable or ethical when it comes to money…