• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,892 posts in this topic

On 6/8/2022 at 7:37 AM, manetteska said:

Not sure how much of his story is true, but assuming someone did send him a deposit of $3500 -- shouldn't that be end of it, and not shopping for more offers?

Or, is this acceptable for sellers to do until they get all of the money?

Exactly.

No, it's not acceptable. 

Edited by jcjames

On 6/8/2022 at 10:37 AM, manetteska said:

Not sure how much of his story is true, but assuming someone did send him a deposit of $3500 -- shouldn't that be end of it, and not shopping for more offers?

I agree 100%, I didn't even call him out on that - it was a long work day and I didn't really want to spend too much more time dwelling on his story inconsistencies.  Last I checked the ad is still up, but I'm on the fence about it.  

On 6/9/2022 at 1:05 PM, spreads said:
On 6/8/2022 at 9:37 AM, manetteska said:

I agree 100%, I didn't even call him out on that - it was a long work day and I didn't really want to spend too much more time dwelling on his story inconsistencies.  Last I checked the ad is still up, but I'm on the fence about it.  

Making sure I'm still sane.

There have been countless times where I tell a seller I will buy an item, we both agree on a time and place for the transaction, and before I get there I receive a message saying, "Sorry, the item has been sold." On the one hand I understand the seller doesn't know if I'm a flake and money now is money now, but it still peeves me off for a little bit.

I couldn't imagine sending someone money, which may or may not be possible to get back, and then see the "Sorry it's gone" message.

On 6/9/2022 at 10:05 AM, spreads said:

This is one of those instances where whipping out the money would see how straight he is. If someone took out $7K or whatever in front of me. I'm pretty sure all well crafted stories like this $3500 deposit, would instantly disappear. 

On 6/9/2022 at 10:25 AM, manetteska said:

There have been countless times where I tell a seller I will buy an item, we both agree on a time and place for the transaction, and before I get there I receive a message saying, "Sorry, the item has been sold." On the one hand I understand the seller doesn't know if I'm a flake and money now is money now, but it still peeves me off for a little bit.

I couldn't imagine sending someone money, which may or may not be possible to get back, and then see the "Sorry it's gone" message.

Who in their right mind would send money sight unseen to a person you never met before. And you'd have no recourse to get it back. In poker, that's called a naked bluff, a bluff with no real teeth behind it. 

On 6/9/2022 at 2:22 PM, Lpgk said:
On 6/9/2022 at 1:25 PM, manetteska said:

Who in their right mind would send money sight unseen to a person you never met before. And you'd have no recourse to get it back. In poker, that's called a naked bluff, a bluff with no real teeth behind it. 

In this instance, most likely didn't happen.

But due to losing purchases when I thought terms were agreed, I have wondered if sending $X to "hold my spot until I get there" would work or if I'd end up losing my money and faith in humanity.

On 6/9/2022 at 3:20 PM, Lpgk said:

This is one of those instances where whipping out the money would see how straight he is. If someone took out $7K or whatever in front of me. I'm pretty sure all well crafted stories like this $3500 deposit, would instantly disappear. 

I wouldn't have offered 7k, still didn't know what I would offer on the spot...but saying someone will be here by 9 and will take it for 7k is a more believable bluff than saying he already sent $3500....

On 6/9/2022 at 11:05 AM, spreads said:

Save your money and move on. There are always other opportunities. Chances are the ad will be be up for a while and you can go back later…

On 6/11/2022 at 3:25 PM, Namtak said:

Finnaly found a xenogears cib in fantastic shape!the one i had from my childhood was bought used and was missing half box art and booklet.....:ohnoez:20 years later i can finally stop searcing lol. Plus grandstream saga!

20220611_161338.jpg

20220611_161326.jpg

I still have my copy of Xenogrears that I bought new when it came out. Played that one so many times.. 

On 6/11/2022 at 11:24 AM, Robot Man said:

Save your money and move on. There are always other opportunities. Chances are the ad will be be up for a while and you can go back later…

I didn't bother....I'm a busy guy, and you are correct - comics are everywhere!....case in point, while chatting with some neighbors yesterday I found out they had a copper collection of about 150-200 comics which belonged to their son. Decent stuff in there, G.I. Joe 1, TMNT adventures, some ASM....nothing super earth-shattering...  

On 6/12/2022 at 7:13 AM, spreads said:

I didn't bother....I'm a busy guy, and you are correct - comics are everywhere!....case in point, while chatting with some neighbors yesterday I found out they had a copper collection of about 150-200 comics which belonged to their son. Decent stuff in there, G.I. Joe 1, TMNT adventures, some ASM....nothing super earth-shattering...  

Indeed. There are more books out there than I have money to buy. Especially copper to present. Lots of people bought them and put them away in mint condition. If you can go on eBay and find lots of copies to choose from, they really can’t be worth all that much.

Now if you are talking GA/SA you have my attention…

On 6/11/2022 at 11:23 AM, frozentundraguy said:

It's been a long time since I had an antique mall find. Just found the one book in a box full of old Playboy magazines. It's from August 1964. I didn't know that John Severin was among the artists for Cracked.

scan0895.jpg

Yes Severin was the “man” at Cracked. He did so much great work got them. One of the major reasons it was so competitive with MAD fit so many years.

That  is a killer cover! Never seen it. What number is it? I need to search out a copy. 

On 6/11/2022 at 12:16 PM, Beige said:

Back on track...

CCF11062022_0007.thumb.jpg.f10b52b9852f312b710755ae7a73b842.jpgCCF11062022_0011.thumb.jpg.41e0f8f0f3c25dd6dc7d78dea4a60d5e.jpgCCF11062022_0019.thumb.jpg.31e0b32ff95e1570c3dc4524e3e666cc.jpgCCF11062022_0020.thumb.jpg.172347b6f91dc9affc10798a8c091da3.jpgCCF11062022_0021.thumb.jpg.72a65079deb21f58523557e57725f405.jpg

Happily covers the cost of all 300 Star wars books.

Do Tales sell for a bit?