• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,892 posts in this topic

Yes,

The one on the left. It has no Taito games; as I am sure you are aware by the titles I listed. I guess I don't need pictures?

What more can you tell me about it?

Sincerely yours,

'mint'

Edited by mintcollector

Sorry to double post. Let me reveal the price I paid and you can determine how well I did. Keep in mind that I know very little about the 'licensed' cabinets without the coin box option. While it is true I know an awful lot about home video games and full fledged arcade games (I collect and DEAL in both; as most people know); most everything in between is a mystery. I made a great contact in the process of obtaining this and I will be buying a lot more from this individual. I paid $40 for this item and while I don't expect it to be a home run, I was amazed at the fact that someone would bring this to a flea market to sell. Normally I find tons of home video games (and I buy them all), but nothing like this.

Ironically, I got a lot of envious looks while I was carrying this to my car; and some 'weird' guy was following me around asking 'how much I paid for it and if I needed help.' Enough said about that.

I also bought a Sega Genesis with twelve games for $7, ten Game Boy Advance games for $5, and two RARE Wizardry games complete in the box for the vintage Apple computers for $5; on this same day (yesterday).

I also scored a vintage Lego collection for $20. It must have been 'pop culture central', because I was racking up the scores at this flea market. Sadly, no major hits; only small stuff that will need to be cleaned, sorted and sold. This is time consuming.

'mint'

Yes,

The one on the left. It has no Taito games; as I am sure you are aware by the titles I listed. I guess I don't need pictures?

What more can you tell me about it?

Sincerely yours,

'mint'

So let's start with some house-cleaning. These units were meant to offer out-of-box arcade solutions to consumers not wanting to tackle a custom build. If you remember some years ago, HP came out with the Blackbird, which was a super cool out-of-box PC gaming unit. What happened though is that the whole plan backfired on HP because the custom and mod guys were up in arms over the ridiculous pricing of the Blackbird. That said, the custom crowd couldn't help but salivate over the Blackbird's incredible build and overall aesthetics, so even though they slagged people for buying them, a lot of them couldn't help themselves from trawling eBay and online sites in hopes of buying one on the cheap that was DOA or that somehow made it to the resale market because some rich kid got tired of it and moved on to the newest flavour of the month.

The SNK bartops kind of got a similar rap. Overpriced and to some extent, the cabinets were getting poor reviews online for not having that attention to detail deserving of a unit that was priced as high as it was. If you Google SNK Bartop, you'll see some reviews which reveal some sloppy cabinetry work, and in one of the last images below, you'll even see some black paint on the inside of the cabinet near the speaker.

Keep in mind, these were meant as an entry MVS (multi video system - what I referred to earlier as multicade). But IMHO they badly missed the boat pricing these at around $850 new. The main reason is that Jamma and Mame bartop arcade projects parted out with the best components could be built at 1/3 the price with similar and or better results.

Suprisingly these SNK builds seemed to go on for quite some time, with different iterations and platforms (I've seen them as early as 1995 and up to around 2006), but ultimately they all seem to be built on a smaller scale JAMMA board with digital MMC to suit. This is usually the platform used by custom arcade builds so this was really just a fit and finish attempt to bring a consumer level arcade unit into homes and bar tops of arcade enthusiasts.

I've seen them priced anywhere from $150 to $400 in the second-hand market, and the price was largely dependent on the games, the condition of the unit, wear and tear on the electronics. The worst that can go wrong on these is wiring, monitor, jamma and MMC modules related as the joysticks and buttons are pretty generic and are usually not that difficult to service (I've done this on my cocktail and while it can be tedious and time consuming, it isn't rocket science). The one thing about these particular units is they did use a lot of parts which where engineered specifically for this scaled down arcade unit, meaning that repair and service could be pricey. But over the years, there have been numerous DIY builds and components coming from Asia so I'm sure if you were in a bind for parts, you could probably find them pretty easily.

The Jamma platform means you can pretty much rule out coin-op, and while the scale of this isn't exactly conducive to coin-op, had it been a licensed cartridge or CD-based platform used on previous generation arcade models, you could get quite a bit more on resale just because of the commercial aspect of a coin-op arcade.

All said, they are quite limited even in the U.S. market where they were primarily sold, and I personally think you hit a grand slam as an overall buy.

If you ever get tired of it, I'd gladly take it off your hands at the price you paid! :grin:

Here are a couple of snapshots which I sourced online of your particular unit, and to help others get a sense of size and build:

DSCF1071.jpg

DSCF1070.jpg

DSCF1069.jpg

DSCF1068.jpg

DSCF1064.jpg

DSCF1056.jpg

DSCF1057.jpg

DSCF1058.jpg

DSCF1059.jpg

DSCF1060.jpg

Hey Guys,

I just got a table top Neo Geo 'arcade' machine (with built in arcade monitor and real joysticks) with about six built in games. I would love to show a picture, but I do not know how to upload pictures to this site. Can anyone advise?

The machine looks pretty cool and was made for home use, as there is no 'coin' slot. I had an original Neo Geo Gold cartridge system as a kid (still have it); so when I spotted this item while 'picking' I just had to buy it. It does work and is pretty cool. I didn't know SNK made these, as it is marked SNK Playmore Neo Geo. This tells me it is later model; as the original home Neo Geo systems (and arcade systems) were made by SNK. Then the company ran into some financial trouble and they became SNK Playmore. Still, I think it is a cool item and the price was way below market value ( if I told you how much I paid you would NOT believe me).

Anyway, if anyone could help me learn how to upload pictures, I would like to show off some of my 'picking' finds. Keep in mind I do this every weekend so I find lots of cool stuff!

Respectfully,

'mint'

:applause:

My favorite arcade games

Thank you ComicWiz.

As for obtaining Metal Slug (which someone mentioned); while I have it for the original home Neo Geo system and the Neo Geo CD system (both versions are 'rare'); it has been released as part of SNK Classics Volume 1 (in the US; there is NOT a volume 2). This game was available for the PS2, PSP, and Wii game systems.

My first 'love' was always video games and I started to collect at the age of twelve. That being said, this 'middle of the road' stuff (like these bar top Neo Geo systems; I know very little about). I collect the home arcade games or the full fledged coin-op games.

Thank you again.

Respectfully,

'mint'

I've just about given up on the local estate sales when it comes to comics. I went to one this morning and was second in line. The guy in front of me was there to look at some antique guns so I knew I was going to get first shot at an advertised 4,000 comics from a Dr's estate collection. I'm betting most people on here would be salivating by now. I hit the books and start flipping through.....amazing complete drek. Now don't get me wrong, I still bought 39 books including a hardcover batman graphic but EVERYTHING had been picked through before anyone had been let in. Most of the complete runs that were there were missing the first 5 issues. There was NOTHING older than maybe 1990. That made no sense to me. This was supposedly a Doctor's collection that had passed away? Why would it be all modern drek? Luckily whoever did their picking through doesn't collect sketch covers or autographs so I found a few things I thought were interesting. I found a few fun reads as well and some mid-series covers that were cool enough to pick up for the price too. From now on I'm just going to hit garage sales. Estates sales around here are lame.

Garage sale find circa 2005.. I bought this for $1.50. What intrigued me was the entire box was in Japanese. Sat in my storage unit for 6yrs. During a recent move, I stumbled upon the model, and decided to research it a little. Turned out to be rare car model that can be upgraded with a working motor,and lights from 1978. I sold it on E-bay for $117.00 :banana:

1978 Toyota(corrolla) Levin 1600

Edited by BEACHCOMBER

This weekend the 'predicted' rain on Sunday is scaring a lot of sellers away in PA. I did manage to flip an awesome collection of vintage glassware for a nice profit (I know, no one probably cares too much about that). I will however stick to 'pop culture items' as promised; and 'ignore' the antique finds and treasures (for this 'report').

I passed on several Marvel Treasury Editions (could of had a lot of Star Wars treasury editions), but I really regret not buying the Tomb of Dracula and Conan Treasuries I came across. Like I said, I normally don't buy 'raw' comics. I may have to change my stance...

That being said, I scored, once again as usual; on video games. Everything from the NES to the PS2 and Xbox 360. Bought a Nintendo DS Lite system for $10 and it works perfectly. Already 'flipped' it for easy cash. I kept two games; Mario Kart DS and Animal Crossing DS.

On a side note; a lot of sellers are now pricing most regular Nintendo systems out of the 'norm' thanks in part to the gneral 'concenus' that these items are 'rare' or 'in demand.' Case in point; a near complete NES Action Set was offered to me for $100 (I thought the seller was 'nuts' as I find these for around $20 usually). I still get offers to buy these on a regular basis at much better prices. Another funny story; a complete loose system was offered to me with ten games for $75. I passed. The seller took home both items even though I offered to buy them later in the day for what I consider a 'fair' price. His response, 'I will try again.'

Current 'hot' items include antique glassware, military related items and weaponry, coins, vintage toys, and vintage slot/arcade machines. Lego is soaring. Every vintage collection I buy I get offers on before I am able to get it to my car. This may be the next 'hot' item!

Cooling off: PEZ dispensers are finally cooling off and it is now a buyer's market. Vintage dispensers have been selling below their highs for some time now.

Respectfully,

'mint'

Edited by mintcollector

Cool report mint!

I stumbled on something I thought was pretty cool. They are original 1977 Star Wars costumes and masks of Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader.

The makers mark is Ben Cooper, and they are officially licensed.

On top of how cool it was to find them with their original boxes and complete, the condition of the masks and costumes is something to see.

The pictures I snapped are from my cellphone and don't do them justice. Both the Vader and Luke masks are super crisp and shine like the box was opened for the first time.

The Vader costume also includes a cape!

I also noticed the packaging and costumes use an early Star Wars logo which dates this licensed merchandise as early first movie pieces (notice in the background, there are production toys which used the more iconic and widely used Star Wars logo):

SW_masks_costumes.jpg

SW_Vader_mask2.jpg

SW_Vader_costume2.jpg

SW_Luke.jpg

SW_Luke_costume.jpg

SW_Luke_Vader.jpg

SW_masks.jpg

This weekend the 'predicted' rain on Sunday is scaring a lot of sellers away in PA. I did manage to flip an awesome collection of vintage glassware for a nice profit (I know, no one probably cares too much about that). I will however stick to 'pop culture items' as promised; and 'ignore' the antique finds and treasures (for this 'report').

I passed on several Marvel Treasury Editions (could of had a lot of Star Wars treasury editions), but I really regret not buying the Tomb of Dracula and Conan Treasuries I came across. Like I said, I normally don't buy 'raw' comics. I may have to change my stance...

That being said, I scored, once again as usual; on video games. Everything from the NES to the PS2 and Xbox 360. Bought a Nintendo DS Lite system for $10 and it works perfectly. Already 'flipped' it for easy cash. I kept two games; Mario Kart DS and Animal Crossing DS.

On a side note; a lot of sellers are now pricing most regular Nintendo systems out of the 'norm' thanks in part to the gneral 'concenus' that these items are 'rare' or 'in demand.' Case in point; a near complete NES Action Set was offered to me for $100 (I thought the seller was 'nuts' as I find these for around $20 usually). I still get offers to buy these on a regular basis at much better prices. Another funny story; a complete loose system was offered to me with ten games for $75. I passed. The seller took home both items even though I offered to buy them later in the day for what I consider a 'fair' price. His response, 'I will try again.'

Current 'hot' items include antique glassware, military related items and weaponry, coins, vintage toys, and vintage slot/arcade machines. Lego is soaring. Every vintage collection I buy I get offers on before I am able to get it to my car. This may be the next 'hot' item!

Cooling off: PEZ dispensers are finally cooling off and it is now a buyer's market. Vintage dispensers have been selling below their highs for some time now.

Respectfully,

'mint'

There is a Tomb of Dracula Treasury Edition?!?

No TOD treasury exists. Mint was probably referring to the regular comic series.

Yes, I am sorry guys. Didn't mean to excite anyone. I found (as noted in my 'bronze age' thread) Star Wars Treasury Editions. The Tomb of Dracula and Conan comic books were the first few issues each and I passed on them (standard size). I do apologize about any confusion. I was typing that 'post' on an iPad. I will be more clear next time.

ComicWiz nice find!

Keep them coming!

Respectfully,

'mint'

Good Morning,

I have time right now before I hit my next antique/collectible market to do a quick run down of yesterday's and todays finds; thus far. I will TRY to stick to pop culture items only; even though I think the 'other' stuff is just as 'cool.'

First, I have to mention this; as vintage bottle collecting is bringing in more young collectors (i.e. under thirty) than a lot of other collecting fields combined. Between poison bottles, vintage and contemporary marbles, and art glass; glass is one area of collecting that I am thankful I am knowledgeable in. Especially poison bottles. Collecting these items is growing in popularity by leaps and bounds. I see this only growing in popularity as more and more collectors enter this 'field.' Prices are rising...

Saturday was a great day for me. Besides buying and selling tons of art glass, bottles, and some rare books; I picked up the following finds which will hit eBay soon: (keep in mind I do deal in video games, so a lot of this is video game related):

Colecovision system with Atari expansion pack (all COMPLETE in boxes) + thirty games with manuals!

Atari 7800 system with ten games

Twenty GameCube games

ten different wii games include Metroid Prime Trilogy

A complete Super NES system with twenty games (at a yearly antique market)

a multitude of Game Boy games and systems

a cool collection of loose Star Wars figues that I sold to another 'picker' on site

and some Masters of the Universe toys that I was also already able to sell for quick cash

Funny stories: a lot of 'new pickers' are entering the market with no clue as to what they are doing. A lot of new sellers are entering the market to who have no clue what they are doing! Case in point:

A Boba Fett life size helmet was offered to a dealer friend of mine for $10. This was a more expensive collectible Star Wars helmet (not the cheap toy kind). Ironically, the seller who sold it said the following: 'I have no use for a motorcycle or auto helmet I can't even use..." The buyer (my friend) thought he was kidding. The seller then said 'I can't believe I was dumb enough to try to wear that *** thing!' lol! Talk about being clueless...

By the way, what is an 'auto helmet?'

Thanks to the television shows more 'newbies' are entering the field. A clueless picker was walking up to every seller with a box of comic books and says he is paying 'top dollar for Amazing Fantasy #15 and he will offer a '$100 reward' for the comic.'

This is just some of the stuff I have to put up with every weekend. It appears thanks to all the collecting shows; this business is becoming quite entertaining for some of us....

If only getting a AF #15 was a s easy as offering a $100 cash reward!

More to come; as it is only 9:30 on the East Coast.

Respectfully,

'mint'

Edited by mintcollector

MOTU.jpg

I work at an Antique Shop and this lady came in with boxes upon boxes of toys. 70's Tonka, Fisher Price, and Hot wheels. For the 80's MOTU. She said it was all her son's but man, these pieces were in great condition. I was able to get the MOTU lot. The Castle Greyskull has the best paint I've seen on a loose sample and it's pretty complete. Missing the flag and the cardboard cut outs. The vehicles and cat are complete and the figure case contains 8 all complete (including the mini comic) figures. All in all, about 20 figures in the group.

ALso picked up a vintage lot of SW figures(30) with the Rebel Transport and the AT-ST. All loose.