• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,841 posts in this topic

I went to a bunch of antique stores over the weekend. A bunch of them had comics, but they were mostly in stacks in locked display cases. Some of them were in bags (no boards) that were yellowed with age.

I didn't even bother to track down someone to unlock the cases. I can't imagine that these places sell a comic very often.

For Guide+,over graded books? You could have wasted someones time...including your own.

Exactly. Just from what I could see at the top of various piles, Fair comics were priced at Near-Mint.

I went to a bunch of antique stores over the weekend. A bunch of them had comics, but they were mostly in stacks in locked display cases. Some of them were in bags (no boards) that were yellowed with age.

Do yellow bags equate to yellow comics? I'm not familiar with the chemical processes in the paper and/or the plastic.

Do yellow bags equate to yellow comics? I'm not familiar with the chemical processes in the paper and/or the plastic.

It's one thing when you have yellowed polypropelene bags from your original owner comic collection. The yellowing is a result of the impurities in the environment where the comics are stored (i.e. food, smoke, impurities in the air, sun, temperature, etc.). This may also be related to the acidic composition of the paper/comic. Most polymer-based plastics will yellow with age in the most suitable storage conditions, so the best thing to do is change them every 5-7 years.

That said, when I see comics from other people's collections, in antique showrooms or flea markets, it's usually a combination of poor storage, and it's very likely the case that the books weren't cared for very well and have been left in less than ideal storage to deteriorate (i.e. brittle, heavy tanning, yellowed pages, etc). Usually the case that the books were overexposed to sun or flourescent lighting, extreme temperatures, and or came from a heavy smokers home.

Thanks for your thoughts, Mint. I remember checking to see if there were sports games there and there wasn't. Let me get in touch with the guy and I'll get a list of what games they are and more specifics about the system. I remember the boxes for tboth the system and the games being in great shape. I'll PM you with what I find out.

Sports games on that system are a dime a dozen. I don't even buy them (i.e. sports games) and at times; when in negotiations with a seller; I tell them I have no use for them. I even offer them back to the seller for a reduced cost. This generally works; as most sellers then realize that all those 'Madden' games they have been buying year after year; are worthless. The same is true for ALMOST all the EA Sports titles and most in general. The exception is a Nintendo game sports title which stars Nintendo characters. But even these have price limits. I would NOT buy GameCube versions of Mario Golf and Mario Tennis; unless they were around $2 each complete; maybe $3, if I had to. The N64 versions go for a little buit more. Keep in mind that the GameCube version of Mario Tennis was rereleased on the Wii and was quickly discounted. I have five to ten copies still factory sealed somewhere.

Not everything Nintendo touches turns to 'gold.' Notable failures do exist.

When looking at this lot; look for RPG's, any MAJOR Nintendo frachise based game, and any 'rarities' that you can identify. At $100; if they are in the box; you would make money; if you BOUGHT AND SOLD the lot CORRECTLY. Keep in mind this may include cleaning the games and system; and breaking up the lot and selling it individually. This can be a lot of work, but this is how I make my money in this business. I never buy a lot of items and sell the entire lot as a whole; unless if I want quick and easy cash. With video games it pays to know what you are doing and pull out the 'good' stuff and sell it separately.

I find a lot of NES systems at flea markets with common games that are NOT in demand. I then hear sellers complain that these systems are NOT selling. This is because no one is going to pay between $60-$75 for a used NES system with common games; especially in horrid condition.

I sell COMPLETE NES systems with three games (including one good one and two common games) for $29.95-$34.95 on eBay. I sell them very quickly at that price. Keep in mind that with video games we are talking tens of millions of items mass produced and released on the market. Almost nothing meets the true definition of 'rare.' Key word is almost; but most 'experts' agree (another controversial topic) that the definition of 'rare' is ten or less copies of one item. Keep in mind that this changes depending on the item in discussion.

Even 'so called uncommon games' I sell cheap. I sold Panic Restaurant a few months back (an uncommon Taito NES game) for $70. I paid $1 for it. I have no desire to hold that kind of game waiting for the right buyer to come along. I am happy with my profil margins. Let someone else buy and hold the game if they want to. I'll find more, I always do.

Bottom line is I think you are okay with the lot; but I would offer $75 and ensure they are not all sports games. If however, this is an email transaction only, you may want to pay the $100 and take the chance. If this is NOT a 'face to face' transaction; I would gladly pay the $100 and take the chance, but that is only my opinion. You have to do what you feel is right.

I get $49.95 for complete in the box N64 systems. I have been told that I sell them 'cheap'; but I disagree; as I find these all the time. If the Zelda games are in the box and complete in near mint condition these can sell for well over $20 each; and more (that is a low end estimate). . My prices may sound low, but I encounter this stuff all the time and can afford to almost 'wholesale' it out. This is my opinion ONLY!

I wish you the best of luck and welcome to the world of 'picking.' Don't worry there is plenty of this stuff to go around. Of that I am sure!

Kind Regards,

'mint'

In my experience with classic video games (extensive), everything you've said is spot on. Rule 1: ignore sports games. If you're not sure what you're looking for, find the oddest titles you can find cheap. Another tip is if you find any games targeted at girls, you should grab them (Barbie etc.) The bigger companies don't make as many or sell many of them typically. RPG's are king. And I always buy boxed games if they're cheap enough. On a separate note to mint... I found a north American version of stadium games (NES as you probably know) for a buck, and sold it for $400. I should have kept it, though.

Got this lot of 15 14x36 movie posters for $40 on auction. You could only see the top one which was Madame Kitty, a notorious X Rated 70's Nazi exploitation flick, so I took a chance. Nice surprise on the Mandingo and Cruising. :blush:

MP1.jpg

th_MP8.jpg th_MP7.jpg th_MP6.jpg th_MP5.jpg th_MP4.jpg

th_MP3.jpg th_MP2.jpg

I picked up a clean 1st gen PS3 at a garage sale Saturday morning for $20...it's got the YLOD problem that I can either fix myself or have fixed for under $50.

This is a fun box as it plays PS1 and 2 games as well :)...

Got this lot of 15 14x36 movie posters for $40 on auction. You could only see the top one which was Madame Kitty, a notorious X Rated 70's Nazi exploitation flick, so I took a chance. Nice surprise on the Mandingo and Cruising. :blush:

MP1.jpg

th_MP8.jpg th_MP7.jpg th_MP6.jpg th_MP5.jpg th_MP4.jpg

th_MP3.jpg th_MP2.jpg

Looks like you had a Jeff Bridges fan there. lol

Also look at that cast from "The Big Knife", nice.

Well ,yesterday i got my very first taste in heading outside of Montreal with a buddy and going to see a pile of comics at some Antique dealer.

These were all a buck each so its nothing out of this world but i'm happy to have made the trip.

What you see here are the better ones but i also bought a lot of clunkers,drek and

reading copies...boy did i buy a lot of reading copies. lol

Gotta start somewhere right ?

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

7227403936_1af5df82d8.jpg

Untitled by Willie Lumpkin, on Flickr

Bought these yesterday at a garage sale.

7227403542_9467773ba6.jpg

Untitled by Willie Lumpkin, on Flickr

Bought these for 25 cents each at the same sale. Nothing extremely high value, but they caught my eye and I usually don't see them around here that often.

Edited by Willie Lumpkin

Was visiting my sister who lives near Green Bay. They had a city wide Rummage in her area so we hit 'em up early yesterday morning. Found numerous deals but the one I really got a kick out of was this one that had Packer shirts and jackets out in front of the driveway. We stop and go in the yard and there are old football cleats, hats, and NFL branded checkbooks and wallets. Turns out the owner works for the Packers. I got these:

ProLine.jpg

caps.jpg

The sealed boxes of cards were $2 each. Worth it if there's an auto in there and I just love the caps. The production companies would always give him free shirts and hats whenever they came to do a game. Love those old CBS hats. They all were unworn and were a quarter each.

Edited by Jaded Savage

Cool find if it's real!

I found this at a garage sale yesterday for a buck. It was bagged only but in great shape with nice pages. I put it up on the bay for a 1-day.

oaw162.jpg

oawb162.jpg

Today, I actually found some comic books and somewhat related items. Normally, I do not buy 'raw' comic books when 'picking' (you are welcome fellow PA collectors and 'pickers'-lol!); but this was a no-brainer in my opinion.

I got the following four comic books for $6.00 (all for $6):

Frankenstein #1 (Marvel)

Dead of Night #1

Giant Size Chillers #1

Journey into Mystery #1 (vol. 2)

They are not near mint, but are in fine/very fine condition; with a possible very fine+ thrown in the mix. Note I do not grade comic books regularly.

Proving that some sellers do not have a clue as to what to price things at (those outside the hobby); I had to pay $1-$2 extra because they were 'first issues.' Had I have chosen to buy any other comic book (even from his run of Tales of Suspense comics and earlier; any issue other than the first is only $1. Go figure.

I also found a sealed box of vintage 1980's trading cards for $5. Got two cases with 36 packs (12 cards a pack) in each one; both factory sealed. I doubt these are worth much more, as G.I. Joe trading cards were never in demand to my knowledge.

I only bought a few video games this week, as I mostly concentrated on going after a vintage Apple computer game collection. I love those old EA RPG games from Interplay! I have a Wizardry for the Mac on eBay right now; this is the second copy of this game I found this season. I also found some Tomy Tutor games. Hard to find indeed.

I won't mention the antiques; as a lot of people tell me to stick to comic books and pop culture items on this forum; unless I show pictures. I can understand as it is hard to describe most items in this realm.

If anyone can help me on these comics (grade wise); let me know. I guess I finally may have to take the time to learn to post pictures/scans to the forums.

Thanks for reading!

Respectfully,

'mint'

I found these two beauts today at a local flea market. The Thanos Quest cost me $2 and the last issue of GI Joe was a whopping 50 cents. Best part was that I totally missed the 50 cent boxes and the guy told me " I got some 50 cent boxes under the table over there but most of it is no count." I don't know if that is a southern-only expression but it means nothing is any good in there. I also pulled a GI Joe 144, 145, and 150 out plus a Moby Duck 19, and Infinity Gauntlet 5. I called my buddy who is a Joe collector and he immediately offered me $45 for the 155 and I took it. I know they're generally more on ebay but he's a friend! :gossip: I even told him what I paid

100_3839.jpg

I just picked this up at a flea market, does anyone know how to tell a real one from a fake one? Thought I would ask here before google searching it.

Picture429.jpg

Picture423.jpg

Wow, how sad if it's real and someone sold it at a yard sale :(