• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,859 posts in this topic

Even if you bulk most of it at $15 a longbox, that's $2500. Vet it all first for dollar books and any hidden gems or overlooked new hot books, you'll make money...if you have the time and the warehouse space.

Someone who offers $1500 will double up, at least, and may well make a bunch.

Not ME, mind you, my garage is already pretty full, and I live 250 miles away, lol

$18/long box seems like a bargain to me. Tack on travel and U haul rental another $1500-$2000 plus if you don't have space then acquiring a monthly cost to store...that $18/box could balloon to about $29-$30 per box to get it home. Still not terrible pricing but a lot of work to see a return.

I know the seller - in a way - of all of those longboxes.

It would seem that he wouldn't leave anything of real value in there, unless he truly does not care at this point (though he did just open a store that needs money and stock).

I guess that it depends on how bad the stuff actually is, and what else you have going on. If someone didn't have a job or family commitments, and had an empty spot to put it all, I can think of worse things to mess around with.

Going through boxes of comics is entertaining, even when it is pretty much drek.

I think it would make sense for a group of folks to buy and split up without looking at anything. 15-20 longboxes of this stuff would be a lot more fun than 170, IMO.

Can't imagine why anyone would touch this with a 10 ft pole.... unless they want to start a bonfire and need kindling anyway.

Crazy question but couldn't you buy the books and then donate the books over the next few years to get the tax savings. If you are in the 25% tax bracket I'd think you could save some cash if you can get the books for $0.04 apiece.

Crazy question but couldn't you buy the books and then donate the books over the next few years to get the tax savings. If you are in the 25% tax bracket I'd think you could save some cash if you can get the books for $0.04 apiece.

and honestly - this is not a bad idea -

I snagged a ton of books from a closing LCS - some of the books will likely be donated.

With something of this size - it would be a LONG process -

You can effectively write them off at face value (if in good condition) - but then you can only do this up to a certain value point. I cannot remember the specific number - but there is a ceiling of how much in "goods" you can write off before you need an appraisal.

From the ad and what one of the posters here has said, it sounds like a comic shop's overstock that has been picked over and over and over, to the point where it doesn't warrant paying the storage carrying charges to keep it.

Putting the ad on craigslist is better than paying to have it hauled away, at least for the seller.

I think its several thousand dollars before a appraisal is necessary. Lets assume you can donate 10 long boxes or 3000 books a year. If you have ten buddies who want to donate 10 boxes each you could get rid of 100 long boxes of the biggest drek books at a good profit.

I think its several thousand dollars before a appraisal is necessary. Lets assume you can donate 10 long boxes or 3000 books a year. If you have ten buddies who want to donate 10 boxes each you could get rid of 100 long boxes of the biggest drek books at a good profit.

yea - somewhere in the 3k range - probably to discourage dumping a lot of junk at salvation army (or whatever) - and taking a real high deduction.

If this is more recent drek - think like $2 cover price average - you could probably donate 5 longboxes for $500 each.

If someone wanted to do it, they would probably fly to Chicago, rent a truck to move the stuff, drive it where they need it. But the cost of flight from where you are to Chicago plus hotel/food, gas, truck rental etc-- think about this - is going to be a minimum of 1500-- more based on distance it has to go.

This seems like something for someone in the Chicago area to who might have a truck that can carry the stuff-- perhaps in multiple trips -- to their own warehouse/garage-- to deal with.

Does that seem like it is worth it? Sounds like a major hassle to help someone else unload their drek-- and them expecting you to pay for the privilege.

Goodwill give you $4 a book towards tax write off.

Have you done this? I'm in Canada so it might be different, but I'm pretty sure I asked someone at Goodwill if they would take comics as donations and the answer was no. I would love to be proved wrong here....

Hi Gang, Robot Man here. I am new to the boards although I have lurked for a while. I started a thread in Gold called "My 50 Year Junk Obsesson" check it out if you like old collectibles. I collect comics, toys, pulps, advertising, sports and all kinds of "Americana". Being a huge fan of the title of this thread, it is one of my favorite ones when I go to General. I am pretty much a vintage guy but I appreciate all forms of the collecting media. I really enjoy seeing what people turn up "out in the field". My question is this: Do the posts in this thread have to be current or recent finds? If I were to post some stuff in here should I keep my mouth shut what I paid? I don't want anyone jumping down my throat or accusing me of "ripping off old ladies" ect. (I don't always get it cheap and sometimes have to pay through the nose) But sometimes the planets align and I am rewarded for my hard work and dilligence. To me I love hearing about other collectors scores, the stories are what give us all hope.It's all about the thrill of the hunt. Any body can write a big check to Jim Halperin at Heritage but it's the guys that get up early on Sunday morning in bad weather and scrounge for cool un-discovered stuff. What do you think? Now be nice or I will go back over to the friendly confines of Gold and not bother you...

Hi Gang, Robot Man here. I am new to the boards although I have lurked for a while. I started a thread in Gold called "My 50 Year Junk Obsesson" check it out if you like old collectibles. I collect comics, toys, pulps, advertising, sports and all kinds of "Americana". Being a huge fan of the title of this thread, it is one of my favorite ones when I go to General. I am pretty much a vintage guy but I appreciate all forms of the collecting media. I really enjoy seeing what people turn up "out in the field". My question is this: Do the posts in this thread have to be current or recent finds? If I were to post some stuff in here should I keep my mouth shut what I paid? I don't want anyone jumping down my throat or accusing me of "ripping off old ladies" ect. (I don't always get it cheap and sometimes have to pay through the nose) But sometimes the planets align and I am rewarded for my hard work and dilligence. To me I love hearing about other collectors scores, the stories are what give us all hope.It's all about the thrill of the hunt. Any body can write a big check to Jim Halperin at Heritage but it's the guys that get up early on Sunday morning in bad weather and scrounge for cool un-discovered stuff. What do you think? Now be nice or I will go back over to the friendly confines of Gold and not bother you...

you can pretty much post anything you like!!!

I would not post what you paid (few of us do ) - as you sometimes run into those who think you took advantage of a granny if you paid $100 for a group and ended up with a 10K value book.

Glad to see you here, Robot Man. I can vouch for what Robot Man is saying, which is that the photos of his collection that he's sharing in the Golden Age area are phenomenal and worth your time.

Robot Man, I don't mind if you show older garage-sale finds, and I don't mind if you disclose what you paid for them.