• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,859 posts in this topic

Goodwill give you $4 a book towards tax write off.

Can that be real? That's $1 book in tax savings at 25%!!

- they might be talking about the other kind of book..... I have heard that they actually make books with only words in them. Nonsense, I know......

--- do they actually give you a receipt with that value? --- in my area we have a salvation army that takes pretty much everything and you fill in your own receipt. If you have an "inventory" - youy might be able to git away with using OPG value for a book- but I would use the cover price myself. Since the insurance companies value books at this without "appraisals" - it would seem a safe value bet for a donation. The more recent the drek - the higher the donation value per book.

The donation center here is supposed to fill out a form with valuations for each item when you donate something. However, the guy in back just waves you towards a clipboard with a bunch of the forms already signed, and you can fill it out yourself. So... not sure how this works, or if you got audited if it would even be accepted. This whole tax write off thing sounds pretty iffy to me.

Glad to see you here, Robot Man. I can vouch for what Robot Man is saying, which is that the photos of his collection that he's sharing in the Golden Age area are phenomenal and worth your time.

+1

Fun read! Link.

I've been doing Goodwill's tax write offs for three years now. So far so good. :wishluck:

You must be in the US then...I think CRA is much stricter because it seems the charities here only offer receipts for brand new items. You guys are lucky!

I've been doing Goodwill's tax write offs for three years now. So far so good. :wishluck:

You must be in the US then...I think CRA is much stricter because it seems the charities here only offer receipts for brand new items. You guys are lucky!

Yea. - a U.S. thing - we can write off just about any donation for a "reasonable" amount- but over a certain limit u need more documentation. Our family donates a lot of stuff each year - the tax write off is a nice benefit.

About 10 or so years ago a major seller on eBay sold a lot of 1,000,000 comic books. Another eBay seller bought it all and there was a lot of drek in there. What the buyer did was sell the books in lots and as much as I saw he sold every thing.

About 10 or so years ago a major seller on eBay sold a lot of 1,000,000 comic books. Another eBay seller bought it all and there was a lot of drek in there. What the buyer did was sell the books in lots and as much as I saw he sold every thing.

Did he make a profit, when you add time spent?

Hi Gang, Robot Man here. I am new to the boards although I have lurked for a while. I started a thread in Gold called "My 50 Year Junk Obsesson" check it out if you like old collectibles. I collect comics, toys, pulps, advertising, sports and all kinds of "Americana". Being a huge fan of the title of this thread, it is one of my favorite ones when I go to General. I am pretty much a vintage guy but I appreciate all forms of the collecting media. I really enjoy seeing what people turn up "out in the field". My question is this: Do the posts in this thread have to be current or recent finds? If I were to post some stuff in here should I keep my mouth shut what I paid? I don't want anyone jumping down my throat or accusing me of "ripping off old ladies" ect. (I don't always get it cheap and sometimes have to pay through the nose) But sometimes the planets align and I am rewarded for my hard work and dilligence. To me I love hearing about other collectors scores, the stories are what give us all hope.It's all about the thrill of the hunt. Any body can write a big check to Jim Halperin at Heritage but it's the guys that get up early on Sunday morning in bad weather and scrounge for cool un-discovered stuff. What do you think? Now be nice or I will go back over to the friendly confines of Gold and not bother you...

Hi Robot Man!

I'm one of those early-riser scroungers who also loves to hear the stories of what was found and where! I look at it as half treasure hunt, half comic rescue operation! So, post away!

:gossip: I try to avoid listing prices paid as much as possible, however. It takes the fun out of sharing.

Hi Woogieman!

Yeah, the thrill of the hunt is probably the best part. Nothing like watching the sun come up, the buzz of the show and getting stuff right out of the trucks. Not knowing what could turn up. I will refrain from saying what I paid. My wife is antique dealer so we travel all over the country. I know this is a comic board so I figure most people want to see them mostly. I do collect all kinds of stuff but will keep that for my Gold thread. Thanks for having me guys.

Bob

I really like it when someone posts what they paid. Of course that's their own business, but I personally enjoy seeing it when people do.

To me, the bargain is just as integral as the find. But some people here (for a variety of reasons I'm sure) use the price paid to call fault upon the buyer. And it makes it less fun to see those discussions here, at least for me.

yea - somewhere in the 3k range - probably to discourage dumping a lot of junk at salvation army (or whatever) - and taking a real high deduction.

Anyone interested in donating comics would be well advised to speak to their accountant; barring that, at least read IRS Publication 526, which has the rules for charitable donations.

The short explanation: You value it at "fair market value", which means writing off your quarter books at cover price isn't going to cut it if you get audited.

If you donate more than $500 to one organization in a year, you need to document where you got the goods, what you paid for them, and how you arrived at your donation value.

If you donate $5000 or more, the donation needs to be professionally appraised.

Also, generally, donation recipients are loathe to put a value on what you donated. They prefer to simply acknowledge your donation and let you value it. This way they don't get involved in a contest over numbers.

yea - somewhere in the 3k range - probably to discourage dumping a lot of junk at salvation army (or whatever) - and taking a real high deduction.

Anyone interested in donating comics would be well advised to speak to their accountant; barring that, at least read IRS Publication 526, which has the rules for charitable donations.

The short explanation: You value it at "fair market value", which means writing off your quarter books at cover price isn't going to cut it if you get audited.

If you donate more than $500 to one organization in a year, you need to document where you got the goods, what you paid for them, and how you arrived at your donation value.

If you donate $5000 or more, the donation needs to be professionally appraised.

Also, generally, donation recipients are loathe to put a value on what you donated. They prefer to simply acknowledge your donation and let you value it. This way they don't get involved in a contest over numbers.

-- the key there is fair market value -

Just because you paid a quarter for the books in bulk - does not mean that they are individually valued at that number. If the books are in decent shape - one could easily use the OPG for value as it is a published standard (which for 90s drek is around cover price).

Unless you go over that 5K number and would need appraisals - the IRS is not going to nit pick. I have been writing off some level of donations for 15 years. Never an issue with estimated values and the typical salvation army/goodwill receipts.