• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,859 posts in this topic

$2 is about right for that issue, anyway. :shrug:

Peace,

Chip

That's what I was thinking. 1 of them might have been a 9.8 candidate, but I think he did himself a disservice due to lack of business sense and current pricing knowledge.

Ok, this is not a flea market grab and I am probably going to get the "Yeah Right" crowd, but I actually DID find this in a marked $1 bin at a comic book store during a Boxing Day sale.

I did not hide the find or try to put it between a bunch of the other books I was buying, I placed it right on top.

The cashier was just about to ring it through when another worker (whom I think was an Assistant Manager maybe?) noticed it.

scalped1_zpscefcbc22.jpg

He just kind of looked at me and said something like "Nice. Scalped #1 for a buck eh?"

I replied saying something like "I guess so?"

They honoured the sale. I told them I found the book in-between a bunch of drek Spidey's...It was behind an issue of Spidey 2099 (original series).

Note the vertical line is a scanner effect. Only problem with the book are the ticks.

I did the opposite on Boxing Day.

Store Owner: "Hey welcome, all those comics in those boxes are $2, or 10 for $16."

I start looking through them. Some ok stuff, nothing crazy. I say, "Hey its 10 for $16 for these comics over here right?"

Store Owner: "Yup, $2 per or 10 for $16, like it says on the sign." He points to the sign that fell down near the boxes I'm buy.

I spend about 20 minutes, pull ten comics, bring them up to the counter.

Store Owner "Oh these two X-Men 256 aren't $2, sorry, they must have been in the wrong place. They're Jim Lee, first app of Asian Psylocke" I show him the box, got them from right in front of X-Men 257, next to ALL THE OTHER JIM LEE. He pulls the whole box and tells me he's gonna have someone go through that whole box again.

I'm thinking that each comic is like a $6-$8 at most, and this guy would rather lose cash in hand PLUS anger a customer? During the holidays???

The stupid thing is that he's given me better deals than that before, AFTER looking up the prices (which he for some reason didn't do this time). For some reason he made a big fuss over these 2 comics. I think he wanted to show these to his employee or something to show him that he failed or something. It should be noted that the comic book guy from Simpsons is an accurate depiction of this owner.

Not sure what happened, but I won't be back there, as its not too close by.

He did you a favor and didn't know it, I found 2 sales on the 'Bay for $.99 in the last week. He saved you from paying twice the market price. I despise store owners like that.

It should be noted that the comic book guy from Simpsons is an accurate depiction of this owner.

Upon leaving you should have said "time for me to make like your pants, and split!"

Ok, this is not a flea market grab and I am probably going to get the "Yeah Right" crowd, but I actually DID find this in a marked $1 bin at a comic book store during a Boxing Day sale.

I did not hide the find or try to put it between a bunch of the other books I was buying, I placed it right on top.

The cashier was just about to ring it through when another worker (whom I think was an Assistant Manager maybe?) noticed it.

scalped1_zpscefcbc22.jpg

He just kind of looked at me and said something like "Nice. Scalped #1 for a buck eh?"

I replied saying something like "I guess so?"

They honoured the sale. I told them I found the book in-between a bunch of drek Spidey's...It was behind an issue of Spidey 2099 (original series).

Note the vertical line is a scanner effect. Only problem with the book are the ticks.

I did the opposite on Boxing Day.

Store Owner: "Hey welcome, all those comics in those boxes are $2, or 10 for $16."

I start looking through them. Some ok stuff, nothing crazy. I say, "Hey its 10 for $16 for these comics over here right?"

Store Owner: "Yup, $2 per or 10 for $16, like it says on the sign." He points to the sign that fell down near the boxes I'm buy.

I spend about 20 minutes, pull ten comics, bring them up to the counter.

Store Owner "Oh these two X-Men 256 aren't $2, sorry, they must have been in the wrong place. They're Jim Lee, first app of Asian Psylocke" I show him the box, got them from right in front of X-Men 257, next to ALL THE OTHER JIM LEE. He pulls the whole box and tells me he's gonna have someone go through that whole box again.

I'm thinking that each comic is like a $6-$8 at most, and this guy would rather lose cash in hand PLUS anger a customer? During the holidays???

The stupid thing is that he's given me better deals than that before, AFTER looking up the prices (which he for some reason didn't do this time). For some reason he made a big fuss over these 2 comics. I think he wanted to show these to his employee or something to show him that he failed or something. It should be noted that the comic book guy from Simpsons is an accurate depiction of this owner.

He did you a favor and didn't know it, I found 2 sales on the 'Bay for $.99 in the last week. He saved you from paying twice the market price. I despise store owners like that.

I had the opportunity to buy about 40 for $1 per book from a major vendor at a major show. I hemmed and hawed for quite a long time. Didn't do it in the end (prior to the Scalped recent interest). Needless to say, I should have done it.

Patrick

I went to an antique shop yesterday where booth after booth had comics. I was initially thrilled, but not for long. Most of the books were terrible titles such as Team America etc, The few good comics there had prices that were about 75% higher than book value with a marked down "holiday discount" of 40%. Great business model. After going through this mess, and annoying the heck out of my wife, I pulled out a nice partial run (w/ a double 55) of the Platt Moon Knights in NM- condition for 3 bucks each. I always liked his art but I didn't realize that those issues have gone up a bit since I last looked them up.

Not the biggest find on record but a small victory none the less.

Your mentioning the wife being annoyed reminded me of the one time I went recently to look for comics at a flea market. I made the mistake of bringing someone along who has no interest in comic books. We spent the whole time looking for curio cabinets for her. When I finally went to look at my intended target (some booths with comics only), suddenly there was a huge interest in getting home by a certain time.

Your mentioning the wife being annoyed reminded me of the one time I went recently to look for comics at a flea market. I made the mistake of bringing someone along who has no interest in comic books. We spent the whole time looking for curio cabinets for her. When I finally went to look at my intended target (some booths with comics only), suddenly there was a huge interest in getting home by a certain time.

Know how that feels :taptaptap:

Know how that feels :taptaptap:

the worst part of it is that you feel rushed even if they leave the area. That is the wrong way to look through comic books. I ended up pulling a few books to the side but eventually just gave up and bought nothing. She bought about 30 bucks worth of stuff.

My kid and I took a little comics-related joyride today to a comic store that was having a New Year's Day sale, and here's what we came home with:

Jan-1-2015.jpg

Jan-1-2015-II.jpg

Nothing fancy or super high grade (the Action 583 was the nicest of the lot @ NM-), but they're all respectable books, and the lot price averaged out to $2-$3 per book.

Lots of great reading, too. I was particularly excited about the Batman Family/Detective run (Starlin and Michael Golden in 482, then some exceptional work from Don Newton in the others on the lead stories). The Demon 1 and the Starlin Captain Marvels were a nice find; the Darkseid JLA was a 50-cent box book; I've been meaning to read some "Steve Canyon" strips for years (but never owned any); plus I crossed six more '70s Marvels off my want-list (top row of pic 2), and my daughter found two more '60s Archies which she's never read.

All in all, not a bad way to spend a quiet New Year's Day!

I dragged my wife to an indoor flea market earlier in the year in Arkansas. Took me hours to go thru all the comic boxes. She never complained, but she spent 3 times the amount of money I spent.

Interesting, in the 1990's, when I used to sell at the local fleamarket, I had a female customer who was thrilled to be buying comics from me, but her husband/boyfriend couldn't stand comic books. :makepoint:

Great single, bulk and LCS finds these last few pages; this thread always brings a smile.

Same store from my last post had some books that cost a bit more $$$ but well worth it. Stopping by tomorrow to see if the owner has any from a list I gave him. Fingers crossed....

Will post pics of the last pickup and hopefully from tomorrow's.

Happy New Year's and good luck finding more buried treasures!

Store i visited over the holidays, which has been in business for over 40 years, opened their warehouse, and put out tens of thousands of books for a $1.50 each. I got there way to late to get anything really good but I did find these. There was a 20% discount if you went over $20 so that was cool. All books are at least NM and most are NM/Mint. The Badgers are unread and the ones I'm most excited about. :banana:

152141.jpg.e47794a0f381321ba72f93fb4a9d5177.jpg

152142.jpg.86ba261b322a52aa0602217398ba1e5d.jpg

152143.jpg.bff273d0e492f39a1b5c4e7e22bdd771.jpg

Stopped in a thrift store in a strip mall two spaces down from a comic store. Grabbed Gotham Girls 1, Batman 613, Batman Adventures 28, and Batman Adventures 12 for $1.60 a piece :cloud9:

Stopped in the comic store before that and found nothing...

Edited by Chris_Skeleton

Store i visited over the holidays, which has been in business for over 40 years, opened their warehouse, and put out tens of thousands of books for a $1.50 each. I got there way to late to get anything really good but I did find these. There was a 20% discount if you went over $20 so that was cool. All books are at least NM and most are NM/Mint. The Badgers are unread and the ones I'm most excited about. :banana:

Those Mike Baron Badgers are just an amazing read. I still think the character has great potential.

Nice books mate!