• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,840 posts in this topic

Another strike out for me today. 2 months ago at the local flea market, I found the 1982 Wolverine series in 9.6/9.8 shape and Hulk #180 5.5 for $0.50 each! I also picked up the 3 issue The Last Starfighter set from the same guy. Hulk #180 turned out to be missing the final page but I can't complain.

But there has been nothing of note since (I go every Saturday morning at 7:45AM) and the last few weeks there have been basically no books at all. I've just realized that the dealers are getting the pick of the litter on setup days (Friday). That leaves me with the chance of finding the odd dealer that didn't setup or bring their books until Saturday...time to search these boards for dealer setup day discussions.

Also stopped at 5 garage sales, absolutely nothing.

Are you going to give the free one back?

I did eMail him and I told him that both books were complete and I explained to him what Mark Jeweler's inserts were. I also asked him if he wanted me pay for the 2nd book now that we know it's complete. He told me we'll square up when I meet with him next month to buy the rest of his collection.

I hit two sales this morning, one garage sale and one tag sale.

Garage sale, got a bunch of the Maximum Carnage story, and some other Spidey books. Finally have the complete Max Carnage series so that was nice.

Tag sale, got a dozen or so pre-unity Valiant issues. Three were missing their cards.

Nice batch overall.

Another strike out for me today. 2 months ago at the local flea market, I found the 1982 Wolverine series in 9.6/9.8 shape and Hulk #180 5.5 for $0.50 each! I also picked up the 3 issue The Last Starfighter set from the same guy. Hulk #180 turned out to be missing the final page but I can't complain.

But there has been nothing of note since (I go every Saturday morning at 7:45AM) and the last few weeks there have been basically no books at all. I've just realized that the dealers are getting the pick of the litter on setup days (Friday). That leaves me with the chance of finding the odd dealer that didn't setup or bring their books until Saturday...time to search these boards for dealer setup day discussions.

Garage sales are almost 90% misses...I don't waste my time checking them out unless its very nearby or close by to errands I'm running. I did get a longbox of comics for $25 that was almost all Spiderman (a good run of ASM) once! I think I was the only one that showed up with interest in the comics (late in the day) and the guy just wanted to get rid of them.

Garage sales are almost 90% misses...I don't waste my time checking them out unless its very nearby or close by to errands I'm running. I did get a longbox of comics for $25 that was almost all Spiderman (a good run of ASM) once! I think I was the only one that showed up with interest in the comics (late in the day) and the guy just wanted to get rid of them.

Finding the comic books at the garage sales are ALMOST nothing but junk.

Well, I stopped by an auction this morning with a box of comics(I estimate ~175 count) mostly dating around the later 60's. They were mostly in very poor condition, with probably 30% of them being coverless, and another 15% with partially or fully detached covers. Most of the other comics were completely beat up, with about 15% of them being maybe in 4.0-5.0 condition. Not a single key issue that I could see with only a handful of gold key issues in respectable shape.

Two guys got in to a bidding war and wound up paying almost $500 for the box. I think I might have to send the auctioneer a few boxes of my own to sell.

Ah well, at least I got to enjoy a beautiful drive up to the auction location this morning. :)

Edited by jhutton2

If you going to random garage sales and finding comics about 10% of the time, then you are doing great. In my experience, it's been much less than that overall. You're much better off going to garage sales that advertise having comic for sale. Even then, the odds of finding good stuff at decent prices are very slim and you're competing with other collectors and dealers.

I'm training a friend of mine in comic picking as he has a newfound love for collecting and doesn't have the knowledge on condition and valuation. So far I've trained him well as over the last few months hunting Craigslist and garage sales he's found....

Daredevil 1 coverless

Turtles 1 2nd print

Batman adventures 12 x 2

Strange Tales 178-181 (178 off to CGC)

Secret wars 8 x 3

Detective 1st talia issue

A small higher grade Bronze Age OO collection

Multiple bronze and copper key issues and numerous decent SA books.

Treasuries, trades, etc.

Probably 1000 comics at about .20c each in his search.

So far no ASM 121,122,129, hulk 180-182 or GSX1,94, or WWBK 32 but I'm expecting he will dredge some up with his luck. I wouldn't even be surprised if he finds a SA major key within 6 months....we will see. He did score that DD1 for $1.

We went up north and hit a few places. Got these for 25 cents to $1.00 each.

My son is learning quite a bit. While looking through boxes he pulled out the Killing Joke (1st print) and the Death in the Family books.

100_3416_zpswznkybzb.jpg

100_3417_zpsty4uvou1.jpg

100_3418_zpsbqacihc4.jpg

100_3419_zpsmrqpdei3.jpg

100_3420_zps2k2p3haa.jpg

Went to Berlin for a few days this month, found a random stall in a flea market selling comics, thought it might be cool to pick up a couple of German variants...

706D2581-D1C5-4E40-9090-853959F6FE3E_zpsmxt5dgb6.jpg

and

7E94B708-875F-466E-AD23-A1F39DEA7E7A_zpsuv0b9cuj.jpg

Only a couple of Euros each, and bought just for fun, but I would like to find the US versions if they are available... can anyone help?