• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,841 posts in this topic

Out here, the weather is nice and we have tons of garage sales every weekend. There are a lot of "older" areas with stuff in them. A huge population means the stuff still comes out once in a while. I have an antiquer friend who actually knocks on doors with a flyer like American Pickers. He usually turns up cool stuff. I have another Mexican picker friend that goes to them in the "hood" where most people wouldn't go to. He always has cool stuff because he has no competition and speaks the language. There is a lot of cool stuff from the 1920's-1970's in those areas.

I gave up "garage sales" a long time ago. Just seems like a waste of gas driving round and usually buying something I shouldn't have just because I got up. I rarely find much at them here anyway. "Estate sales" are a little better and you usually know what there is going to be. Trouble is the pushing and shoving. I have hit the older areas and found a few things. Most of the "hipsters" have cleaned out the houses when they moved in. Flea markets are the best. I just pay a little more and let some dealer do the leg work for me. I usually look for older stuff and hope the dealer didn't do his "homework".

I live on Long Island, NY, and it's a hot bed of garage/tag/estate sales each and every weekend... Even then, I walk away with nothing good more often than not.

Thats because Gary Guarnotta got 'em all before you..

Seriously, I used to go to Long Island for garage sales years ago, but recently, each one I attended was either run by Gary, or was visited by him the day before the sale begun

I'm pretty sure he's the guy that opened a shop called LI Pickers in Westbury. Been there a few times and to his house as well. He's too busy these days running sales to troll the sales himself.

Thats exactly right.. hes busy.. Gary's one of the biggest buyers in LI and he'd buy big collections before they'd hit the yards.. he organizes some of the biggest tag sales in the island, so chances are you went to his events without knowing

Been to his house a couple of times when he advertised on craigslist and each time I got there I was thinking.. Is this Gary's house again?... Oh nooooo

He does have a cool setup in his garage tho

I gave up "garage sales" a long time ago. Just seems like a waste of gas driving round and usually buying something I shouldn't have just because I got up. I rarely find much at them here anyway. "Estate sales" are a little better and you usually know what there is going to be. Trouble is the pushing and shoving. I have hit the older areas and found a few things. Most of the "hipsters" have cleaned out the houses when they moved in. Flea markets are the best. I just pay a little more and let some dealer do the leg work for me. I usually look for older stuff and hope the dealer didn't do his "homework".

What do you mean by the hipsters that clean out the houses? You mean throw away/trash?

They throw away what "they" think is trash...

Is it really compost? Because hipsters are actually pretty good at telling the difference. Egg shells, avocado pits, mint stems from their normcore cocktails, kale shavings, etc. They usually understand compost. You most have some dumb hipsters where you live.

What do you mean by the hipsters that clean out the houses? You mean throw away/trash?

They throw away A lot of good trash here..I have currently three store fronts I have opened in the last year. The word has gotten out I will take "trash" I get some really awesome "trash"

Speaking of trash some idjut just bought two long boxes of it from a store I pick..the woman was arguing with the manager about price..she ended up paying about $1.50 each...for the best of 1990 glut books..

one person's trash..somebody else's "treasure" but she got ripped lol I wouldn't have even gone $20 a box on those books..

I got into a heated discussion with one of the trash hauler people..

If you come across a house full of original advert art...do you

A. toss all that horrible awful dust collecting paper trash

B. keep it because original art work can be worth $$$ and it can be sold..

take your time...

Not a flea market or garage sale pickup but I snagged an x-men giant size 1, new mutants 98 and xmen 266 first appearance of gambit for $200.

Damn that was Good Deal!! I thought I got a good deal earlier this week but this one blows mine away!!

A few days ago I picked up 2 Very High Grade Copies of New Mutants #98 for $200. The seller had 2 of them but he told me that one of them wasn't complete because he pulled the centerfold out of it back when he originally purchased them so he could order some stuff from it.

IMAG0950_zpszfuelknm.jpg

He Sold me the Complete Copy for $200 and gave me the other 1 for FREE because he said it wasn't complete!!

When I got home I pulled the one that was supposed to be missing the centerfold to count the pages to make sure it was only missing the Center Fold. Well it turns out both copies were 100% complete because both Copies were Mark Jewlers Insert Variants!! The 2nd Copy wasn't missing the centerfold it was only missing the Mark Jewlers Insert!!

IMAG0953_zpsgfgawg5h.jpg

The Mark Jeweler Insert Variant is in NM+(9.6) Condition and the other one looks stunning it's a Solid NM/MT(9.8)!!

Not a flea market or garage sale pickup but I snagged an x-men giant size 1, new mutants 98 and xmen 266 first appearance of gambit for $200.
it baffles my mind that people are able to get these keys for so much lol

Great pickups

I HAVE A BUNCH OF MARK JEWLERS INSERTS I BOUGHT ABOUT 125 FOR 20 BUCKS. I HAVE NOT BEEN ON THIS SIGHT FOR MANY YEARS. WHAT ARE THE KEY BOOKS.

Key books:

CAPstain America

CAPstain Marvel

CAPS LOCKE and Key

PsyCapsLocke