• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,859 posts in this topic

Nice woman cleaning her house out brings me a binder or 2 a week. Still waiting on the binder that starts at 123. No 121 but a 122 and two 194's. :wishluck: on the 129.

Wow, that's nice of her. Was it her husband's or son's collection?

Husbands collection. She is still married to him and I am trading hockey cards for comic books. The collection starts at #95. She was going to throw them out as the LCS offered her next to nothing. Word of mouth brought her my way via a friend.

I'm sorry but this story sounds like BS, throw them out?

I'm sorry you feel that way, but you are wrong!

Are you married?

Have you ever tried to sell to a LCS?

Have a nice day!

Isn't the poster questioning the "throw them out" part? An unscrupulous LCS may not offer much, for sure. What sounds odd is that rather than take a small sum from the LCS, she was going to throw them out and get nothing in return. Wouldn't some money be better than one?

Nice woman cleaning her house out brings me a binder or 2 a week. Still waiting on the binder that starts at 123. No 121 but a 122 and two 194's. :wishluck: on the 129.

Husbands collection. She is still married to him and I am trading hockey cards for comic books. The collection starts at #95. She was going to throw them out as the LCS offered her next to nothing. Word of mouth brought her my way via a friend.

Are you married?

Have a nice day!

Isn't the poster questioning the "throw them out" part? An unscrupulous LCS may not offer much, for sure. What sounds odd is that rather than take a small sum from the LCS, she was going to throw them out and get nothing in return. Wouldn't some money be better than one?

I see your point and spreads point. I don't like my honesty questioned though.

This lady went into a shop with one or two of the binders. They told her it is really not worth anything unless she had the entire "set". Maybe that has worked in the past for the store owner. In her view she has the things all over the house and they aren't worth anything. Lets just throw them away already. Her husband likes hockey , so we worked out a deal.

Are you married?

Have a nice day!

This lady went into a shop with one or two of the binders. They told her it is really not worth anything unless she had the entire "set". Maybe that has worked in the past for the store owner. In her view she has the things all over the house and they aren't worth anything. Lets just throw them away already. Her husband likes hockey , so we worked out a deal.

The best kind of trades are the ones where everybody walks away happy. Good for you!

Bought a collection of about 1,200 books last week for cheap. Nothing spectacular...low to mid grade Bronze and some higher grade Copper. Just a solid collection for the price after a bit of a drought, and 3 minutes from my house to boot. Highlights are pictured below (I've never seen those discount 3-packs before), and a lot of the common stuff not pictured are sets/runs/limiteds that will make nice lots for eBay. :)

21702263930_4f71a9f7b6_b.jpg

21267601904_8a9d42a841_b.jpg

21702495888_32199ae714_b.jpg

21878389252_b5cded5d5f_b.jpg

21702495158_5d4f6f7852_b.jpg

21890328365_76f090c5d6_b.jpg

21269235443_97453202cc_b.jpg

21702494438_e7066e5b6e_b.jpg

21702261180_b1b9214df0_b.jpg

21703471079_58ae674407_b.jpg

21878386972_ab325f7224_b.jpg

Edited by Epic Peach

Are you married?

Have a nice day!

Not doubting that this is what was said and happened but just crazy that the LCS guy would say they weren't worth anything if she didn't have the whole set of ASM! doh!

Statements like that are often used to drive down asking price. Essentially setting up a scenario where her asking price & his disinterest in purchasing for any amount leads to a "compromise" where the LCS owner is "doing her a favor" by giving her a couple bucks. It's a negotiating tactic that gauges both the sellers urgency to sell, and their knowledge of the product they're selling.

As for someone throwing them away rather than taking any money offered, sometimes the work lugging them to a store that's offering you only pennies isn't worth the pennies they're giving you. There's some miscellaneous stuff that I have in my house that, were I to want to rid myself of, would be easier to throw away than to sit on & wait for a reasonable price, or to sell for pennies.

If the person has no interest in the item, which many sellers I have encountered do (estate sales etc.), often they are just lazy and don't want to bother investing the time or energy to see if anything they have is worth any money or not.

This is often the scenario where people get taken advantage of, as outlined as possible scenarios in the posts above. Bright people who have no interest in comics have a difficult time fathoming that books can be incredibly valuable.

I remember going camping and a friend of ours years ago and is a senior executive, he was talking about an article he was read in our local paper about the sale of the Davis Crippen collection.

I had read the article as well, and it referenced one of the batman books that had sold for over 16K. As he talked about the article, he was amazed that the entire "collection" was worth over 16K. I corrected him that the 16K was only for a single book. He thought I was pulling his leg and could not believe that a single book could ever sell for that much. When I told him the range of what the entire collection was worth, he was absolutely speechless.

Non collectors just don't know and often take at face value what the first person tells them that it is worth.

I get that. It's just hard for me to relate to someone not doing his/her due diligence before trying to deal or sell anything. I would have laughed in the LCS guys face!

Not everyone cares to take the time to learn the value of things.

Not everyone has the time or patience to learn enough about the stuff they're getting rid of (especially when it wasn't theirs to begin with) to do more than a cursory look-around.

And a good number of people, with a big stack of items (like comics), realizing their cursory research as taught them that only some issues in some series have any significant value, and that that value is dependent primarily upon condition, and that determining accurate condition requires a lot of experience, will essentially get overwhelmed & just take an "I just want to get rid of it" stance, and sell to the first person willing to do the work of getting them out & giving them money in the process without a long drawn out negotiation or what they feel is an insulting offer.

Can understand all of that (even if it's not how I would go about it). My initial reaction was to the response from the LCS guy. Guy could have offered her a low fair amount and still made a profit! :sumo:

Are you married?

Have a nice day!

So instead of money, they want hockey cards? Works for them. Go sell them for money and come home with hockey cards.

Statements like that are often used to drive down asking price. Essentially setting up a scenario where her asking price & his disinterest in purchasing for any amount leads to a "compromise" where the LCS owner is "doing her a favor" by giving her a couple bucks. It's a negotiating tactic that gauges both the sellers urgency to sell, and their knowledge of the product they're selling.

^ 100% true

What's not amazing is that you have these old hockey cards. What is amazing is that someone actually wants them in the first place.

I've got binders of cards at home not worth anything. If someone wanted these cards for comics, I'd count my blessings.

The best trades are the ones where both sides view it as a Win-Win and walk away happy.

Edited by Mikey-416

Are you married?

Have a nice day!

I don't know what either of those questions have to do with her excuse of throwing them out? My comment was that it seemed ridiculous, that someone would avoid taking 3-4 binders which is not a lot of work down to a store to get $50-100, and instead toss them out.

The story seems very odd, why wouldn't you deal with the husband directly if they were his?

Dr Phil: "In this week's episode, my wife traded away my stuff for hockey cards!"

this stuff never happens to me :-(

If you look hard enough, beat every bush, tell everyone you know, get up early, and leave no stone un-turned it is bound to happen some time. I have had many nice stashes of comics (and other collectibles) come my way over the years but had to work REAL HARD to get them. They ain't gonna land in your lap...

This...... and sometimes dumb luck ...

Just got back with a haul. OO collection............ lots of goodies

some of the standards for a big collection -

~ 130 books/tpb - some in decent shape - many older ones.

~ 2000 mix of 80 and 90s around 1985 to 92, Some decent items - Crisis 1-12, forever people 1-6

- and a box of goodness - will get pics going......

Starting with some of the books... I am pretty sure all are read - but many well cared for.

61C430F5-559E-4B3D-A695-A6380F1A6C1A.jpg

947A8378-8D39-4CA4-BF85-FDE2D7B66641.jpg

506F4FC4-23B6-4B97-A86D-853A61B1AD4F.jpg

the "what a shame" part of the collection -

lots of showcase in there - the green lanterns (and the early GL series in the collection) - were kept for a binder at one time.

Any guidance on what hole punches do to grades? Nothing good I know - but I is a 4 with them added make it now a 2?

Cant complain much - showcase 22 is showcase 22.......

2DD103B8-E4CA-41A2-9A45-EE3C0AB1EDE4.jpg

63BAED26-CD49-4385-8A83-C99A73FC675C.jpg