• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,840 posts in this topic

So I get this lot today.

From a guy called David Russell, concept artist on stuff like Star Wars, Batman etc - 15 Oscar winning films in fact.

I found them in a folder in a rubbish bin. This was about 10% of it - there was loads!

Unbelievable - a world renowned conceptual artists original work in a bin in Melbourne!

Amazing story! You were meant to find this art to keep it from getting trashed!

So I get this lot today.

From a guy called David Russell, concept artist on stuff like Star Wars, Batman etc - 15 Oscar winning films in fact.

I found them in a folder in a rubbish bin. This was about 10% of it - there was loads!

Unbelievable - a world renowned conceptual artists original work in a bin in Melbourne!

Amazing story! You were meant to find this art to keep it from getting trashed!

Yeah, it certainly seems like it!

I have a friend who's husband runs a house clearance company, so she gives me a call if he is doing a job within a reasonable distance of my home that may have comics, toys etc.

If there is something of interest, I can either work for him for a bit, or donate a slab or two (Aussies will understand) in exchange.

If it's valuable, we can sort out a $$$ amount (he's VERY ebay price savvy - it's his bread and butter on top of his clearance fee).

Turns out this was a "clean and clear" job, basically they are paid to empty the house and remove the contents to the tip (and keep/sell anything of interest for themselves) so the house could go up for sale, so I got a call as the place was cluttered with older stuff.

Most of it was rubbish - bit of a hoarders home.

Found this lot of art, plus a couple of hundred Phantom comics already in the skip ready for the run to the tip!

Most of the character sketches are on tracing paper, so I may get some of them framed up.

If nothing else, they are a great conversation piece.

I've actually downloaded the movie, and it's uncanny how close to his art some of the scenes actually ended up being.

I have no idea how the art ended up in this house, as from what I gather, the owner was quite old, and had no family to speak of. Maybe he had found them himself?

I doubt we will ever know.

I haven't been doing too much hunting these past few months. Tons of rain down here lately.

I did manage to make it out to a few Flea Markets this weekend though... and I hit up a sale at a storage unit.

First up, here are a few comics I found at a storage unit sale.

CdUyITu.jpg

Next up, an 8mm monster flick along with an 8mm viewer (to check splices & whatnot)

2OEG59L.jpg

Finally, a real heavy 6-inch tall cast iron bank. I love this guy.

e4Unz9E.jpg

I went antiquing/flea market browsing with my wife this weekend. I don't mind as I usually can find SOMETHING of interest and you never know what you can find...

Not everything came from the same spots, about three different spots...This outing was a good one for me...I bought more than her!

Most of what I bought was what I would consider "a rescue" as they were not exactly being stored in a way that would be good for their long term survival.

First up, something I normally would not buy but is nearly complete, just really missing the "Krypton Generator"...Had to save it.

Superman%20Game_zps8yj4l71p.jpg

Some nice Comics Journal's...Frazetta (worship)

Comics%20Journal_zps1xuohlfd.jpg

Some Oversized DC Collectors Editions

DC%20Oversize_zpselg81jif.jpg

Some nice Marvel Treasuries...These were stored in large Ziploc bags and are in pretty darn nice shape, especially the Cap.

Marvel%20Treasuries_zps5oslsgjg.jpg

EPIC #3 - This books is in amazing shape...I have no idea how it is still in this good of shape. I picked it out of a stack of 'average' magazines...It was in a large Ziploc bag. :headbang:

Epic%203_zpsdkus7kpw.jpg

Finally, random assortment of comics...These were straight up rescues...Some were in horrid bags and boards stored in boxes that were decaying. Vendor was too cheap to buy new boxes or bags and boards...Just sad...I wish I had more time to rummage but this is what I walked away with...

COMICS_zpsulyyshsj.jpg

Sorry for crappy cell phone pics...Will take more later...Too lazy...In case you want to know, they are:

Action Comics #293 - Origin of Super Steed

Amazing Adventures #18 - 1st Killraven

Aquaman #29 - 1st Ocean Master

Doom Patrol #99 - 1st Beast Boy

House of Mystery #208 - Cardy cover

House of Mystery #217 - Wrightson cover

Strange Tales #130 - Beatles cameo!

Strange Tales #150 - 1st Umar

Strange Tales #158 - 1st Living Tribunal

All books are complete and no missing pages or cut outs which is pretty sweet and covers firmly attached. :grin:

I went antiquing/flea market browsing with my wife this weekend. I don't mind as I usually can find SOMETHING of interest and you never know what you can find...

Not everything came from the same spots, about three different spots...This outing was a good one for me...I bought more than her!

Most of what I bought was what I would consider "a rescue" as they were not exactly being stored in a way that would be good for their long term survival.

First up, something I normally would not buy but is nearly complete, just really missing the "Krypton Generator"...Had to save it.

Some nice Marvel Treasuries...These were stored in large Ziploc bags and are in pretty darn nice shape, especially the Cap.

EPIC #3 - This books is in amazing shape...I have no idea how it is still in this good of shape. I picked it out of a stack of 'average' magazines...It was in a large Ziploc bag. :headbang:

Epic%203_zpsdkus7kpw.jpg

Finally, random assortment of comics...These were straight up rescues...Some were in horrid bags and boards stored in boxes that were decaying. Vendor was too cheap to buy new boxes or bags and boards...Just sad...I wish I had more time to rummage but this is what I walked away with...

COMICS_zpsulyyshsj.jpg

Sorry for crappy cell phone pics...Will take more later...Too lazy...In case you want to know, they are:

All books are complete and no missing pages or cut outs which is pretty sweet and covers firmly attached. :grin:

I'm liking the aquaman and doom patrol :)

I'm liking the aquaman and doom patrol :)

Me too ;)

Here's a small stack of cheap, fun reading I brought home from an end-of-summer family road trip last weekend:

Sept2015A.jpg

sept2015B.jpg

The complete Firestorm run was a nice surprise for five bucks, and the Batman book is the much less common softcover British edition (published in 1979) of the original hardcover "Bonanza" book first published here in the States in the early '70s...

Epic%203_zpsdkus7kpw.jpg

COMICS_zpsulyyshsj.jpg

All books are complete and no missing pages or cut outs which is pretty sweet and covers firmly attached.

:grin:

Excellent haul! (thumbs u

I just found these at the LCS bargain bin! All complete and easy FN or better. I kept wondering why they weren't wallbooks instead of being stuffed in the back bins. (shrug)

StarWars1_6_set_zpsuubzlzts.jpg