• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,852 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Flea market find yesterday. No comics but was very happy to find another one of these.

supepuzzle_zpscwcqhw5j.jpg

Neat. But what I don't understand is why Superman felt the need to basically destroy the safe. With his abilities (xray vision, super hearing for starters), he could have easily opened the vault with the combination. Instead, the bank now has to have costly repairs done to have an operating vault again. Sure-- it shows how strong he is and makes for a dramatic art scene but it also shows little foresight.

also-- there is a piece missing on the bottom right.

Edited by 01TheDude

3 hours ago, comicwiz said:

It happens more than any one of us could wrap our heads around. A few years back I bought a collection diverted from our city dump. It was an extraordinary coincidence that a friend of a friend knew I bought collections. The guy who brought it to me was still in his work issued overalls, and had them in the original bins the person dropped them off in. It was just under 1000 comics, and I remember when I was going through it, I was instantly overcome with the thought of just how many comics get thrown out.

sure, but this is a relative of the OP so he could tell us why this one actually happened. I said skip it if it is too personal as I can only think death must have come a'calling. I can also see fratboy buying comics and now not caring but that is less likely.

17 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

Neat. But what I don't understand is why Superman felt the need to basically destroy the safe. With his abilities (xray vision, super hearing for starters), he could have easily opened the vault with the combination. Instead, the bank now has to have costly repairs done to have an operating vault again. Sure-- it shows how strong he is and makes for a dramatic art scene but it also shows little foresight.

also-- there is a piece missing on the bottom right.

Its the "missing puzzle piece 1:499 variant. This is gonna be a yuuuuge trend with modern variant covers now... YUUUUGE

21 hours ago, comicwiz said:

It happens more than any one of us could wrap our heads around. A few years back I bought a collection diverted from our city dump. It was an extraordinary coincidence that a friend of a friend knew I bought collections. The guy who brought it to me was still in his work issued overalls, and had them in the original bins the person dropped them off in. It was just under 1000 comics, and I remember when I was going through it, I was instantly overcome with the thought of just how many comics get thrown out.

A friend I had rented a room out to for a few years moved out last October. She had some trash that she wanted to get rid of and I told I would take care of it. I put it with other trash to be taken care of and didn't think much of it. Then when carrying it to dispose of it I thought what the heck is in here that is so heavy. Opened it up and saw three new hardcover books and about a dozen comics. What the heck? She knew I collected comics, she even to to the Detroit Comicon with the Ex and I a couple of times, and yet when she was moving all of this stuff was just trash. Until then I had thought the days of comics being tossed were a thing of the past.

About 6 months ago I picked up some long boxes from someone who was selling them to raise money for a youth center. The comics had been donated by someone in the area. 

The books were copper and he said that he threw out about 2 long boxes worth of books because he felt the books were inappropriate to be selling from someone who worked with kids.

I can only imagine what was thrown out. 

True Story

Years ago, I had a friend who worked at the dump. One day he called me and said he found 3 boxes of "old comics" that were dumped off and if I wanted them. A couple of questions and I was off like a flash. Seems they came from an old house in the area and were "Atomic Era" books. First book I saw was a Phantom Lady #20!

They wern't in really great shape. Had seen some light water years ago. Many had slightly rusty staples. But to me it was a gift from God.

When I got there, they were sitting next to a shredder. As I looked at it I noticed a pile of brightly colored paper in front of it. The horror of what what was already gone still haunts me today. 

On 3/20/2017 at 11:34 AM, comicwiz said:

Its funny looking at this thread then seeing the Action Comics 20 puzzle. I bought an Action Comics 20 from a guy who had pulled it out of the garbage from an old lady who lived in the apt. above him.  I still own it.

Edited by Rip

2 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I was given this by a friend who found this laying on the top of a trash can while walking his dog. I asked him if they were any more and he said he didn't know he just saw this lying on a newspaper on the top.

comamazingman5_zps24s0jnse.jpg

Cheap read 

Guy found a great collection for nothing at a garage sale.

Pretty much the 1st few issues of every major Marvel title.  ASM #1 thru 20, X-men #1 thru 15, few 1st Hulks, and tons of others.

Not super high grade, but pretty awesome nonetheless. 

Wish I found it at the garage sale.  Guess I felt lucky enough to purchase a couple minor keys from the collection.

This was in the last 2 weeks.

Patrick