• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,856 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, FineCollector said:

Amazing how many people believe in the healing power of a bag and board.  Half the ads on craigslist say the books are in bags and boards, as if bagging a comic turns back the hands of time, and makes everything pristine (and worth top dollar).

For me, it's positive on Craigslist.   It marginally differentiates those that have some knowledge of comic protection versus those completely clueless.

Patrick

14 hours ago, followtheleader said:

For me, it's positive on Craigslist.   It marginally differentiates those that have some knowledge of comic protection versus those completely clueless.

Patrick

Never go anywhere looking for books, but there was Comic "show' at the local volunteer fire dept a couple of weeks ago out here in eastern PA.

So I'm looking through some boxes of 1960's stuff (mostly Dell) and stumble across this.   Have seen this book on the boards numerous times and always got a kick out of it.

At 50% off it was $8.00.  Didn't care much about the Image.thumb.jpg.8cf99fd387ca631ee149bb5e98825cf3.jpgprice or value as I just wanted to make a purchase and bug out as it was a pretty sad affair.   Glad i found it...  

Lucked out to find these at an estate sale today.  Most of the books were well overpriced, but got these four for $40 total.  I wasn't going to push the price any more, figured that was enough negotiation.  They had a run of early Iron Man that skipped from 54 to 60 - was really hoping to for 55 to show up somewhere, but I'm not complaining.  

58b1f77f494c6_Detective359.jpg.a734d7708086cf3d612d555bc126e8fa.jpg

58b1f785b9182_novastarlord.jpg.1a28d96b96af5df38e0e0bec4e42ba7d.jpg

alias.jpg.76c0ade0500bb85534b8f92377c267c9.jpg

On 2/25/2017 at 4:45 PM, westerberg14 said:

Lucked out to find these at an estate sale today.  Most of the books were well overpriced, but got these four for $40 total.  I wasn't going to push the price any more, figured that was enough negotiation.  They had a run of early Iron Man that skipped from 54 to 60 - was really hoping to for 55 to show up somewhere, but I'm not complaining. 

Pray tell, if Nova 1 was stickered at $4, and Detective 359 was $35, what did they have that was so horribly overpriced?

15 hours ago, FineCollector said:

Pray tell, if Nova 1 was stickered at $4, and Detective 359 was $35, what did they have that was so horribly overpriced?

The one that stood out to me was an Adventure Comics 425` for $80 - not sure where they got that price from.  All of the Iron Man issues they had between 50-100 were $25 or more, despite being mid-grade condition at best.  Most of the pricing seemed to be based on mint prices from an old Overstreet guide, but didn't take into consideration the condition of the book.  Lots of early 90s Image / Lady Death type stuff at over $20 a book as well.  Gotta love flipping through a bunch of Brigade and Prophet books!

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

Is the detective 359 complete?

I didn't want to open the bag at the sale to check - so I still need to do that when i get home.  Hopefully there are no pages missing.  The cover seemed to be attached with no splits on the spine from what I could see.

Just got back from a lunch break run to a local antique/junk store, as a friend send me a text about some new arrivals. Picked these up at a very nice price. I'm holding onto the Flash and one of the GA's, the rest I'll throw up for sale.  They said they'd been buying tons of boxes from the estate of a former dealer, like 150 boxes at a time, and are just starting to go through it. They've already sold several complete sets of Looney Tunes glasses, so I'm hoping more of these Pepsi DC moon glasses show up!

Photo Feb 27, 1 32 37 PM.jpg

On 2/24/2017 at 9:22 PM, followtheleader said:

Patrick

+1 I always love hearing the phrase "in plastics"

On 2/25/2017 at 0:22 AM, followtheleader said:

Patrick

I'd prefer them in bags and boards than not.  If nothing else the board might save me 8 cents a pop down the road if they aren't yucky.  Even the ones that don't look that great I use as an extra board stiffener on nicer books. Makes buying a long box at 10 cents each a lot more palatable.

Here are some weekend finds. 

I know I've said this many times before, but it's still amazing to me to find stuff like this in comic shop bins for very light $$ (i.e., under $20 for the whole pile in this case). 

The Banana Splits in particular are really sharp -- possible Gold Key File Copies?  (shrug)

banana%20splits%202_zpsdcf70vpn.jpg
banana%20splits%206_zpsa42mtnvw.jpg
comic%20reader_zpscqtophjs.jpg
GI-Comb_zpsckdzprc1.jpg
ST174_zpsg6nfsggb.jpg
worlds%20unknown_zps4iuaatpj.jpg

11 hours ago, jools&jim said:

Here are some weekend finds. 

I know I've said this many times before, but it's still amazing to me to find stuff like this in comic shop bins for very light $$ (i.e., under $20 for the whole pile in this case). 

The Banana Splits in particular are really sharp -- possible Gold Key File Copies?  (shrug)

banana%20splits%202_zpsdcf70vpn.jpg
banana%20splits%206_zpsa42mtnvw.jpg
comic%20reader_zpscqtophjs.jpg
GI-Comb_zpsckdzprc1.jpg
ST174_zpsg6nfsggb.jpg
worlds%20unknown_zps4iuaatpj.jpg

the banana splits have some huge number in guide, so i am surprised a shop would make them so cheap unless their experience is that they can never sell them (which could certainly be the case...i doubt my local shop could sell them, they are very super hero centric)

The GK HB titles, including Super TV Heroes (which I think are the top tier as far as OSPG values) are seen by most dealers as slow movers, but their coolness isn't lost on me. There's a few issues with price variants which I dig even more, but my trouble is that when these show up in non-comic venues, they are priced way too high and most of the times are beat up. I probably would have picked-up those Banana Splits myself based on condition alone if they were priced for a few bucks as keepers, but  I already know how they'd do as a reselling experiment as I've had them sitting in long boxes priced at a $2/$3 at antique shows and they would have still been sitting there this year again if I hadn't sold off that fragment of my collection.

2 hours ago, comicwiz said:

The GK HB titles, including Super TV Heroes (which I think are the top tier as far as OSPG values) are seen by most dealers as slow movers, but their coolness isn't lost on me. There's a few issues with price variants which I dig even more, but my trouble is that when these show up in non-comic venues, they are priced way too high and most of the times are beat up. I probably would have picked-up those Banana Splits myself based on condition alone if they were priced for a few bucks as keepers, but  I already know how they'd do as a reselling experiment as I've had them sitting in long boxes priced at a $2/$3 at antique shows and they would have still been sitting there this year again if I hadn't sold off that fragment of my collection.

Those are definitely Ebay "wait for an offer" books.  Whenever I have put them up (and the last time I did was a while ago, I admit) they sell eventually at some respectable fraction of guide, although I have never had one in high grade.  What I don't know is whether that is still the case with international shipping being so darn expensive nowadays... a chunk of the market that bought oddball krap doesn't want to pay $18 to ship a few $7 comics.  Not that long ago I think I was able to send a flat rate envelope to the UK for what, under $10 and Canada was like $6?

2 hours ago, comicwiz said:

as I've had them sitting in long boxes priced at a $2/$3 at antique shows and they would have still been sitting there this year again if I hadn't sold off that fragment of my collection.

That might be the problem though..non comic collectors may not want to dig through long boxes.  Out on display for $10 each maybe someone who is just nostalgic for the show buys them.  (of course, i dunno why...those fuzzballs were my least favorite part of the show, I liked the cartoons and danger island!)

Edited by the blob

2 hours ago, the blob said:

That might be the problem though..non comic collectors may not want to dig through long boxes.  Out on display for $10 each maybe someone who is just nostalgic for the show buys them.  (of course, i dunno why...those fuzzballs were my least favorite part of the show, I liked the cartoons and danger island!)

I tried putting them out on comic racks and people do dig through long boxes even at non-comic venues. In fact I'd say you get more of it than traditional shows.  A lot of it is that these are characters that have completely fallen out of cultural consciousness. The guys buying oddball stuff (i.e. pickers) still rely on things to move reasonably well, otherwise they don't want to tie their money up in things for resale. Non-comic venues are actually fantastic venues to move different genres of comics, including things like westerns, Dell's, and Classics, and even those sci-fi GK titles like Twighlight Zones, Ripley's, etc, but titles like H. R. PufNStuf, fun-in, Lidsville, Kroft Supershow, etc. are the kinds of titles where there has to be some nostalgic trigger, and even then, it's not something they fondly remember reading about in an illustrated comic, but rather, a memory in a live action segment they watched on TV.

14 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

I tried putting them out on comic racks and people do dig through long boxes even at non-comic venues. In fact I'd say you get more of it than traditional shows.  A lot of it is that these are characters that have completely fallen out of cultural consciousness. The guys buying oddball stuff (i.e. pickers) still rely on things to move reasonably well, otherwise they don't want to tie their money up in things for resale. Non-comic venues are actually fantastic venues to move different genres of comics, including things like westerns, Dell's, and Classics, and even those sci-fi GK titles like Twighlight Zones, Ripley's, etc, but titles like H. R. PufNStuf, fun-in, Lidsville, Kroft Supershow, etc. are the kinds of titles where there has to be some nostalgic trigger, and even then, it's not something they fondly remember reading about in an illustrated comic, but rather, a memory in a live action segment they watched on TV.

I just remember going to some antique barn/fair outside of new orleans that was totally geared toward tourists and finding a half decent GA batman in the issue #40s or 50s for $5 because you had to dig under all the classic illustrateds and gold keys at $5 to find it... I figured nobody else had bothered digging because i don't know how something like that would last long in that scenario