• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official Market Crash Thread: Part Two!

379 posts in this topic

That is a sure sign of a CGC market crash...in the year 5002 tongue.gif Seriously, I know these guides don't mean dip, but whatever happened to common sense? I mean the last I checked in OverSTreet the book's NM 9.4 value is $75, does a .4 better grade make it worth $860.66 more? You could get a nice Hulk 181 for less, or even a very nice Giant sized X-Men for less, is Shang Chi gonna start outselling the X-Men and nobody mentioned it to me?

"err..whoops thats not an ASM book but a bronze book featuring the first appearance of a varitable nobody

I still don't see the reason for the interest in Shang Chi."

the interest lies in the fact that Master Of Kung Fu was one of the best runs from the bronze age and also the fact that marvel has just released a new MAX version of MOKF.

i agree that the price for this book is ridiculous, but who said that speculators acted rationally?

Not responding to anyone in particular...anyway. There may well be a market crash mainly because the number of people who are willing to/can pay some of the very high prices are quite small in comparison to most collectors. For example, I just spent $700 on 9 pre-code horror books (dealer is a friend and discounted from 925 to 700) and feel good about that. This is only an average of about $78 per book. (some were in the $30's and some were about $200). Grades ranged from VG+ to F/FV. Many exceptional covers and some great stories. All have nice page quality. He'll be shipping them so I can receive them this Saturday (woot) and can spent some time over the T-day weekend reading them.

So what I am getting at is this. There are a heck of a lot more people like me out there in comicdom than there are people who are seeking those extra 2/10 of a grade and paying multiples for them. SO I think there may well end up being a crash - but not a comics market crash. A high-end crash. Because there are just so many people to share those high end books with. And the ones that have them and really want them are not gonna sell. And the ones that have them for investment and try sellign will be finding that some of the folks lready have the same books in similar grade and that phat mopney won;t be there. Kind iof a slowly downward spiralling.

But the market for folks like me I think is going to be pretty healthy. I cannot imagine, in my lifetime, books like Mister Mystery or Blue Bolt Weird or Marvel Tales not being collected and enjoyed in the mid grades and boughtr at prices not too far from guide. And the same with other genres.

But if the market crashes even for these kinds of books - I will let out a whoop because my $700 will but my 30 books instead of 9, and I will still be wanting them! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

But I will also feel bad for the folks who ended up losing a bundle too. frown.gif

A double-edged sword.

same scenario with my X-men #141 CGC 9.6 up for sale...I have a 9.4 White pager (the one you missed the BIN on CI wink.gif ) that looks better than the 9.6 I am auctioniong currently auctioning off in terms of centering and aesthetics. tongue.gif The number isn't always the determining factor for me.