• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay...FAIL!

532 posts in this topic

If it's them and they show up let me know. I'll do what needs to be done again. There has to be some identifiable defect on the book to be sure it's the same one that I can include. Also, if it's his wife etc etc I'll need that too or at least a means for them to correlate it.

I need to start working on someone else that sells too. I just haven't got around to putting everything on paper or even in an outline.

I'm not going to make a direct accusation. I'll just ask THEM to look over the information.

If it's them and they show up let me know. I'll do what needs to be done again. There has to be some identifiable defect on the book to be sure it's the same one that I can include. Also, if it's his wife etc etc I'll need that too or at least a means for them to correlate it.

I need to start working on someone else that sells too. I just haven't got around to putting everything on paper or even in an outline.

I'm not going to make a direct accusation. I'll just ask THEM to look over the information.

Look at my post a couple of post back regarding the TOS 57 CGC 8.0 PLOD i sold to Mikey44u,that they now have listed as a 9.4 unrestored....should be plenty of evidence.Mikey44u has feedback from me,and left for me from the transaction.

Look at my post a couple of post back regarding the TOS 57 CGC 8.0 PLOD i sold to Mikey44u,that they now have listed as a 9.4 unrestored....should be plenty of evidence.Mikey44u has feedback from me,and left for me from the transaction.

He has it listed as 9.4, but also says there's a 1/2 inch spine split. So obviously it's not a 9.4, and the seller knows it, but says it "looks" like a 9.4.

Regarding the glue restoration, could it be the seller removed the glue and therefore doesn't think he needs to list the comic as restored?

He has it listed as 9.4, but also says there's a 1/2 inch spine split. So obviously it's not a 9.4, and the seller knows it, but says it "looks" like a 9.4.

Regarding the glue restoration, could it be the seller removed the glue and therefore doesn't think he needs to list the comic as restored?

Good possibility,also would say that since it was a CGC 8.0 with the split spine glued,it's about a 6.0 now if its unglued,and the spine is split.

That's also asuming that ALL the glue was removed,and if even a tiny bit is left in the paper,now it's a 6.0 PLOD.

EBAY FAIL!

Good possibility,also would say that since it was a CGC 8.0 with the split spine glued,it's about a 6.0 now if its unglued,and the spine is split.

That's also asuming that ALL the glue was removed,and if even a tiny bit is left in the paper,now it's a 6.0 PLOD.

EBAY FAIL!

From the updated item description:

On Jan-04-11 at 09:27:15 PST, seller added the following information:

I've been getting a lot of questions regarding whether or not there is any restoration to this comic. It has come to my attention that there used to be a very tiny amount of glue on the top left corner of the spine. The glue has been removed and that's why there is about a 1/2 inch spine split at the top.

EBAY FAIL!

I've been getting a lot of questions regarding whether or not there is any restoration to this comic. It has come to my attention that there used to be a very tiny amount of glue on the top left corner of the spine. The glue has been removed and that's why there is about a 1/2 inch spine split at the top.

I'm sure they are reading this whole thread.

EBAY FAIL!

right from here on this thread :tonofbricks:doh!

Ditto, we here are their quality control. They use us to find the gray area, the fine line between gross fraud, and being vague enough to avoid prosecution.

We should not help them. The members here who have the skills or ability to affect them should collect or share just enough information here to help others to avoid the crooks. That and provide what proof there might be, to the person or two who can get something done to stop them.

Don't just openly and continuously provide them with the needed information to avoid being stopped. It's a fine line, this here to share information for unknowing members, without tipping the hand about that which could finally get the crooks arrested. It's a public place you want to share private information with friends, but bad people can see it to.

EBAY FAIL!

Funny that he says "it has come to my attention" as if he previously had no idea. Obviously he is the one who removed the glue, so why is he acting like he had no knowledge of it?

I agree that if it's a CGC 8.0 when restored, it stands to reason that it has to be less than 8.0 with the restoration removed.

Funny that he says "it has come to my attention" as if he previously had no idea. Obviously he is the one who removed the glue, so why is he acting like he had no knowledge of it?

I agree that if it's a CGC 8.0 when restored, it stands to reason that it has to be less than 8.0 with the restoration removed.

it'll prolly come back as a CGC 7.0, so yes, HUGE loss in return.

Ditto, we here are their quality control. They use us to find the gray area, the fine line between gross fraud, and being vague enough to avoid prosecution. We should not help them.

Obviously nobody has the intention of helping them, but of informing other buyers about not just this seller, but the kind of scams to beware of from any seller. I think the benefit of this knowledge far outweighs the side-effect of "helping" the seller find the gray area.

Plus, at least the gray area is better for buyers than the alternative. Now the guy's admitting the comic was restored, and he has disclosed the spine split. So any buyer who understand grading will have a pretty good idea not to believe the 9.4 description of condition.

I do think it's pretty sad that anybody would spend the time and effort to try to eke a $50-$200 profit out of comics by doing all this. Buy a PLOD comic, crack it open, and relist it with a dishonest description? Is that really worth the time and effort, as well as the disservice to fellow comic fans?

I feel sorry for anybody who would do the mental work of self-deception and rationalization it takes to justify such activity. You could get a job at 7-11 and work a few hours and make just as much money, and you wouldn't have to screw anybody over.

Maybe the seller thinks it's fun to fool people, in which case, may I suggest learning some magic tricks?

Ditto, we here are their quality control. They use us to find the gray area, the fine line between gross fraud, and being vague enough to avoid prosecution. We should not help them.

Obviously nobody has the intention of helping them, but of informing other buyers about not just this seller, but the kind of scams to beware of from any seller. I think the benefit of this knowledge far outweighs the side-effect of "helping" the seller find the gray area.

Plus, at least the gray area is better for buyers than the alternative. Now the guy's admitting the comic was restored, and he has disclosed the spine split. So any buyer who understand grading will have a pretty good idea not to believe the 9.4 description of condition.

I do think it's pretty sad that anybody would spend the time and effort to try to eke a $50-$200 profit out of comics by doing all this. Buy a PLOD comic, crack it open, and relist it with a dishonest description? Is that really worth the time and effort, as well as the disservice to fellow comic fans?

I feel sorry for anybody who would do the mental work of self-deception and rationalization it takes to justify such activity. You could get a job at 7-11 and work a few hours and make just as much money, and you wouldn't have to screw anybody over.

Maybe the seller thinks it's fun to fool people, in which case, may I suggest learning some magic tricks?

Understand the mentality of people doing this. Because they can.

I put people in the 5/5/90 category. 5% are thieves, dishonest and dangerous. 5% are incorruptible and too honest for the own good. The other 90% sway back and forth. Then we put greed into the mix. This is the big sway'er.

Let's say an imaginary collectibles dealer steps into that darker area by forging his own product. It works! He gets away with it! Greed kicks in and that dealer makes national headlines a few years later. This is the same thing. A test to see if it works and will continue to work. Before you know it this method of buying PLOD books and "unrestoring" them becomes their main source of income. It may be a $50-$200 gain, but multiply that by 1000 and see why so many go to the Dark Side.

You're right. There are easier more honest ways to make money. This however gives the seller the satisfaction of getting away with it and making money even easier without leaving their desk.

The owner of the Mikey44u account said he stopped allowing them to use the account around Jan 4th.Looks like there havent been any recent use of the account either after that point,just 1 feedback recieved a week later from a previous purchase...so there probably won't be too many more to follow from Mikey44u.

The owner of the Mikey44u account said he stopped allowing them to use the account around Jan 4th.Looks like there havent been any recent use of the account either after that point,just 1 feedback recieved a week later from a previous purchase...so there probably won't be too many more to follow from Mikey44u.

Well this is clearly the same book so if they're not using mikey44u now they no-doubt have set up another buyer account so we'll have to try and find that one... :wishluck: