• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay...FAIL!

532 posts in this topic

any news on this? :gossip:

Part of it:

Re: Intent to file with California Attorney General’s office

Ebay has been alerted by its complaint process of several users working together to commit fraud using your website. Ebay to date has not investigated or prevented these persons from continuing their activities. Ebay is going to be named in this complaint along with John Doe sellers using the accounts:

• Makemeanofferandwin

• lexerific

• aram321

• cdpaoli

These users, which may be one user that has four accounts, will buy collectible comic books that are usually professionally restored and then sell them out of their sealed graded cases as un-restored. Taking a comic out of its graded protected case is called “cracking” and is common with these collectibles to defraud a potential buyer. These users have bought restored comics on eBay and then sold them as un-restored and have made tens of thousands of dollars in the process by misrepresentation and fraud. These users have also “cracked” un-restored books and sold them at higher grades than their certifications allow.

Restoration is not detectable to the untrained eye. Restoration is more viable under light from 200nm-400nm because of the difference in luminescence. Most buyers would not be aware they have a restored book, which is usually worth only 10% of its un-restored value, until they send it out for professional grading.

Ebay has been alerted thought its complaint process by several users and the discussion of their activities has been cataloged through several websites where collectors congregate. Evidence within these collector web sites show high resolution scans of restored comics sold to one of the above users (crease lines, imperfections and other identifiable items) and then shows these users selling the same book identified by the above as “un-restored” under another of the above names. Like a fingerprint, it is very unlikely that an identified comic by its imperfections is not the same ones that these users are selling; especially when it’s a reoccurring event.

Because of the costs of these collectibles, which can exceed $1,000 and encroach $10,000, their state of residence being the same as Ebay, this is an issue for the state attorney general of California. Because Ebay was alerted and these users were allowed to continue, Ebay may also be held accountable if financial restitution to these buyers if required.

you need to read the last few pages. :gossip:

Ebay never replies to these type of things other than to say "we have taken steps to protect our online community, but in the interest of personal privacy, we can not release any information about the steps that we have taken".

The only way anyone knows anything has happened at all, is that the accounts are NARUed.

What other progress do you expect other than to have the offenders banned? Ebay certainly isn't going to offer up any facts or explanation that could later be used as evidence against them.

Ebay never replies to these type of things other than to say "we have taken steps to protect our online community, but in the interest of personal privacy, we can not release any information about the steps that we have taken".

The only way anyone knows anything has happened at all, is that the accounts are NARUed.

What other progress do you expect other than to have the offenders banned? Ebay certainly isn't going to offer up any facts or explanation that could later be used as evidence against them.

by 'progress', I meant any action take outside of ebay where the complaint might end up. the real world, not the make believe nothing is wrong ebay world.

I received the following response from ebay about an inquiry I made to this seller of an AF15 which is the same book that sold a few months ago for 10K (the new seller confirmed this) What he didn't explain is why the reserve is only $6K and why he is now selling it. Just throwing this out there.seems a little coincidental that some other bogus seller shows up right after those Fab 4 accounts are closed:

Our records show that you recently contacted or received messages from cpslilangel through eBay's messaging system. This account was recently found to have been accessed by an unauthorized third party, who may have used the account in an attempt to defraud other members.

We've taken action to restore this account to the original owner, but wanted to let you know to be suspicious of any communication you may have received from them. Nothing is wrong with your account at this time ? this message is just being sent as a precaution. If you have received any messages from that appears suspicious, please feel free to forward them to us at spoof@ebay.com for review.

-- Safety Tips --

-- Don't respond to the sender, through either eBay or your email provider, if the message is an offer to buy or sell an item. This type of offer may be fraudulent, and the transaction won't be covered by eBay protection programs.

- - If you received what appears to be a Second Chance Offer for an item you recently bid on, and it appears in My Messages with the subject of "Message from eBay Member," it isn't a legitimate Second Chance Offer.

Real Second Chance Offers appear in My Messages with a blue background and subject that says, "eBay Second Chance Offer for Item...". Always check for both the blue background in My Messages and the subject line of "eBay Second Chance Offer for Item?" when responding to a Second Chance Offer.

-- Never pay for your eBay items using instant cash wire transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. It is against eBay's Safe Payments Policy for a seller to request payment with these methods, as these types of payments are unsafe if you're paying someone you don't know.

-- If You've Already Sent Payment or Shipped an Item --

- - If you already sent payment for an off-eBay transaction, or if you're a seller who already shipped an item to a fraudulent buyer, we suggest you take the following steps:

-- Contact the payment service you used to make the purchase. If you paid by credit card, most card issuers provide consumer protections in instances of online fraud.

- - If you sold and shipped an item to a fraudulent buyer, contact the carrier you used to ship the item. You might be able to receive additional assistance from the shipping service. If it was sent through the United States Postal Service, you may want to file mail fraud charges. Please go to:

http://www.usps.gov/websites/depart/inspect/

- - Report the fraudulent buyer or seller both to law enforcement officials in your area, and in the area where the buyer or seller lives. To find law enforcement agencies by area, please visit:

http://www.usacops.com

When you contact a law enforcement officer, please explain the following:

- eBay will be happy to help with the officer's investigation.

- For more information on how the officer can contact eBay, go to:

http://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter/law_enforcement.html

-- You may also want to file a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3). The IC3 is a partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the National White Collar Crime Center. The IC3 will review complaints and refer information to the appropriate local, state, or federal agency. To file a complaint with the IC3, please go to:

http://www.ic3.gov/

We also need you to take a few minutes to provide more information related to the transaction. The information you provide will allow us to work more effectively with law enforcement should an investigation occur. Please go to:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/transactions-outside-eBay.html

Click the "Item Bought Outside of eBay" or "Item Sold Outside of eBay" link.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

eBay Trust & Safety team

H19881

WOW, just started reading the back end of this thread and noticed CORGIPETER was mentioned...well I have been going back and forth on an Iron Man 1 he was selling and asked for pictures...which he finally sent. After looking at them I realized the book was "not exactly" NM-.....and told him respectfully thanks but will pass...and his response was thanks for wasting my time...nice guy. I do happen to have a personal email address though which he used to send the scans...so if anyone needs the info, here it is..

Rube

petergraore@rogers.com

This guys NRU'd now on Ebay.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=corgipeter&ftab=AllFeedback

WOW, just started reading the back end of this thread and noticed CORGIPETER was mentioned...well I have been going back and forth on an Iron Man 1 he was selling and asked for pictures...which he finally sent. After looking at them I realized the book was "not exactly" NM-.....and told him respectfully thanks but will pass...and his response was thanks for wasting my time...nice guy. I do happen to have a personal email address though which he used to send the scans...so if anyone needs the info, here it is..

Rube

petergraore@rogers.com

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=corgipeter&ftab=AllFeedback

Just so we're all clear...are we confirming (or suggesting) that this is the first of the attempted reincarnated ebay IDs to surface in their attempt to reopen their accounts? THX in advance...someone could probably match up the ip address link on that email address...

Tom

Rube

petergraore@rogers.com

Just so we're all clear...are we confirming (or suggesting) that this is the first of the attempted reincarnated ebay IDs to surface in their attempt to reopen their accounts? THX in advance...someone could probably match up the ip address link on that email address...

Tom

Hey Tom,if you are replying to me,the guy i was refering to is from canada,and was trying to pass off an ASM 6 as vf/nm that Roy said he knew had color touch..and this guy had an IronMan 1 he had bought from Robojo33 he was selling as Nm-...

If you are referring to the post above mine,the AF15 thing,i don't know.

Did you read the "other" ebay fail thread,with the new boardie saying he knows the 4 insufficiently_thoughtful_persons?

Rube

petergraore@rogers.com

Tom

Hey Tom,if you are replying to me,the guy i was refering to is from canada,and was trying to pass off an ASM 6 as vf/nm that Roy said he knew had color touch..and this guy had an IronMan 1 he had bought from Robojo33 he was selling as Nm-...

If you are referring to the post above mine,the AF15 thing,i don't know.

Did you read the "other" ebay fail thread,with the new boardie saying he knows the 4 insufficiently_thoughtful_persons?

Scott

This is so weird...I was puzzled as I pulled up the thread and couldn't find my post and thought I was going nuts...but the original post has resurfaced and now we have both threads...check out the other one and the newb's comments re. he knew them in college etc...amazing...

little known fact: all 2,3 4 of those caulk nibblers used to be in the tex watson school for boys.

true story.

:roflmao:

34qu592.jpg

Rube

petergraore@rogers.com

Tom

These ers are like roaches. They just keep popping back up.

DR,X

ebayup4.jpg

I had mentioned another seller earlier but I didn't get any feedback. It is worth mentioning again especially since the four scam accounts have (temporarily?) been suspended. User name: Comic_Collectors - this seller uses the same multi-photos type spread as cdpaoli and sells the same type of higher grade silver age stuff. He/she is also located in CA. Seems way too coincidental. Can someone cross check the account with the known scammers?

ebayup4.jpg

I had mentioned another seller earlier but I didn't get any feedback. It is worth mentioning again especially since the four scam accounts have (temporarily?) been suspended. User name: Comic_Collectors - this seller uses the same multi-photos type spread as cdpaoli and sells the same type of higher grade silver age stuff. He/she is also located in CA. Seems way too coincidental. Can someone cross check the account with the known scammers?
Sorry- I meant to link this to Tom's comments above

I got the user name wrong- it is collectors_comics, not the other way around.Anyone have any dealing with this seller?

I think I did once. At least the format seems exactly the same as an auction I won about a year ago. They do provide many photos that aren't at an angle. The book I got was as pictured, but the cf was detached at the top staple, very hard to tell until you looked close. I forget how much I wanted back on the sale, but he did offer me about $35 which I took. They do sell a lot of nice books.

Still NARU'ed! :applause:

Feedback Profile

Member id cdpaoli ( 394) Not a registered user

Start of LayerThe positive Feedback percentage is calculated based on the total number of positive and negative Feedback ratings for transactions that ended in the last 12 months, excluding repeat Feedback from the same member for purchases done within the same calendar week (eBay time).