• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Tick Appreciation Thread
7 7

2,264 posts in this topic

Here is a pic I took during the The Tick panel at SDCC...

343m25v.jpg

From left to right:

Griffin Newman (New Arthur for Amazon series), Cosplay Arthur, Ben Edlund, Cosplay Tick, Townsend Coleman (Voice of Tick from animated series), and Bob Polio.

Looks like a really cool panel! It looks like they picked the right guy to play Arthur (Griffin Newman). Side note; Where's the pinchers on the cosplay Tick's antennaes? hurrump!

343m25v.jpg

From left to right:

Griffin Newman (New Arthur for Amazon series), Cosplay Arthur, Ben Edlund, Cosplay Tick, Townsend Coleman (Voice of Tick from animated series), and Bob Polio.

Looks like a really cool panel! It looks like they picked the right guy to play Arthur (Griffin Newman). Side note; Where's the pinchers on the cosplay Tick's antennaes? hurrump!

Would have been cool to sit in on the panel.

343m25v.jpg

From left to right:

Would have been cool to sit in on the panel.

When recently asked at the SDCC 2016 what Ferventer Vestite (Tick Society coat of arms) means...Ben Edmund said It's Latin for Dress Warmly!

Stumbled into some Tick comics recently.

Looking up a few pages it looks like the lot included the red promo comic -- are there additional editions or just the one?

I also found a #8 variant and a #12 variant; I found a few listings of the #8 but nothing on #12.

Lastly, a copy of the gold "limited edition" Omnibus. Any info on that one?

#12 had 4 versions - most had a 1,000 copy print run except for the Tick Society version that had 2,000 copies. The 1,000 print run variants were distribute at distributor conferences that year.

Gold limited edition Omnibus was first printing of the first six issues. Each had a quick head sketch insider by Edlund

The 2-color variant only had one printing - had a cheap newsprint cover.

#12 had 4 versions - most had a 1,000 copy print run except for the Tick Society version that had 2,000 copies. The 1,000 print run variants were distribute at distributor conferences that year.

Gold limited edition Omnibus was first printing of the first six issues. Each had a quick head sketch insider by Edlund

Thanks for the info!

How do I know which of the #12 variants I have of the 4?

The Omnibus is banged up but does have a Tick sketch inside; very cool.

Thanks for the info!

How do I know which of the #12 variants I have of the 4?

The Omnibus is banged up but does have a Tick sketch inside; very cool.

Do you have a scan of the back?

Or can you describe it? That's how you'll be able to tell.

Is there a site with the editions pictured?

What cities/events were they given out at? I would have thought -- based on this collection -- it would have been Chicago.

Offhand I wouldn't be able to tell you, yet it is The Tick and New England Comics so I wouldn't bank on any very concrete findings lol.

Issue #12 has these editions. (Not including the standard released issue)

#12 Special Edition (Same back cover as Tick Society)

#12 Capital City Edition

#12 Diamond Comics Edition

#12 Convention Edition

#12 Tick Society Edition (Same back cover as Special Edition

I believe MetalPSI has the most up to date registry with pics for you be able to see the different back covers.

I just got my 1988 Independent Comic Book Sampler No. 2 (Covering comic books between 1986 through 1988) and am I stoked! 11th from the top on the right hand side is Ben Edlund and according to my friend IntoAnother, Ben has a small comic of The Tick within this 9.2 signature series "time-capsule".

dwcnir.jpg

If I EVER get an opportunity to have Ben Edlund to autograph this, I am going to continue the Signature Series somehow. As a side note: I really have to find a better way of scanning my CGC slabs, they always come out a little fuzzy.

Edited by vsndesigns

Is there a site with the editions pictured?

What cities/events were they given out at? I would have thought -- based on this collection -- it would have been Chicago.

Offhand I wouldn't be able to tell you, yet it is The Tick and New England Comics so I wouldn't bank on any very concrete findings lol.

Issue #12 has these editions. (Not including the standard released issue)

#12 Special Edition (Same back cover as Tick Society)

#12 Capital City Edition

#12 Diamond Comics Edition

#12 Convention Edition

#12 Tick Society Edition (Same back cover as Special Edition

I believe MetalPSI has the most up to date registry with pics for you be able to see the different back covers.

There are pics in this thread, but I can't find them easily.

Edited by Transplant

I just got my 1988 Independent Comic Book Sampler No. 2 (Covering comic books between 1986 through 1988) and am I stoked! 11th from the top on the right hand side is Ben Edlund and according to my friend IntoAnother, Ben has a small comic of The Tick within this 9.2 signature series "time-capsule".

dwcnir.jpg

If I EVER get an opportunity to have Ben Edlund to autograph this, I am going to continue the Signature Series somehow. As a side note: I really have to find a better way of scanning my CGC slabs, they always come out a little fuzzy.

That was another one of the books Ben was rather nostalgic to see come across the table. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to sign it next year at SDCC. I'd be happy to help you get it signed if you are unable to attend. I know I have quite a few more books id like Ben to sign.

2hed63s.jpg

The items he was most thrilled to see and sign were New England Comics Newsletters #14 & #15. He kindly asked if I minded if he flipped through them and as he did he was talking through the panels and telling me and Griffin Newman "Arthur" of the beginning of the Tick. As nervous as I was watching the newsletters being flipped through that paled in comparison to how awesome it was to hear Ben talk with such a joy in his voice as he told the tale of the beginning of The Tick.

tickashcan.jpg

The Tick Orange Ashcan Edition #1

Pre-dates The Tick Special Edition #1 in 1988.

Bob Polio photocopied and hand stapled 50 preview copies. 4 stayed with NEC, 18 went to distributors, 1 each to Ben Edlund, George Suarez, and Bob Polio. The remaining 25 were sold in 1996 signed and numbered by Polio and Suarez.

:ohnoez:

I need this book!

dwcnir.jpg

That was another one of the books Ben was rather nostalgic to see come across the table. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to sign it next year at SDCC. I'd be happy to help you get it signed if you are unable to attend. I know I have quite a few more books id like Ben to sign.

2hed63s.jpg

The items he was most thrilled to see and sign were New England Comics Newsletters #14 & #15. He kindly asked if I minded if he flipped through them and as he did he was talking through the panels and telling me and Griffin Newman "Arthur" of the beginning of the Tick. As nervous as I was watching the newsletters being flipped through that paled in comparison to how awesome it was to hear Ben talk with such a joy in his voice as he told the tale of the beginning of The Tick.

Thanks for the info! I might have to take you up on your offer if I can't get ticks for the SDCC...this coming February will be my 3rd attempt, I've already registered but that really doesn't mean anything if I can't get those ticks!