• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Tick Appreciation Thread
7 7

2,264 posts in this topic

1996 The Tick Lunch Box by Aladdin

4lksxf.jpg

"From the new 1996 "What's on TV" line from Aladdin, this plastic snap-close full-color Tick Lunch Box is perfect for young Tick fans everywhere! Comes with thermos bottle generously decorated with Tick art!

Hey, not just young fans! Wall Street Executives who enjoy the off-the-wall humor of The Tick can carry their Wall Street Journals to work in this box. Career women who appreciate the Tick's low-violence approach to comedy may want to use The Tick Lunch Box to store floppy disks for their laptops.

The Tick Lunch Box works for - KIDS OF ALL AGES! Evils Doers...East My Justice!"

The Tick Comic Con Extravaganza #1 Comic Book Magazine June 2007

I'm impressed on how many of the items shown here on the shelves that were actually created...and many of the concept items that weren't.

2jess1w.jpg

Concept by Ben Edlund, Publisher George Suarez, Art Director Bob Polio, Cover by Sean Wang and Post Production Nate Machado.

The Tick is a fictional character created by cartoonist Ben Edlund in 1986 as a newsletter mascot for the New England Comics chain of Boston area comic stores. He is an absurdist spoof of comic book superheroes. After its creation, the character spun off into an independent comic book series in 1988, and gained mainstream popularity through an animated TV series on Fox in 1994. A short-lived live-action TV series, video game, and various merchandise have also been based on the character. IGN's list of the Top 100 Comic Book Heroes of All Time ranked The Tick as No. 57.

Inside Cover Inscription: "Comic Conventions The Past and Now. For those who have never attended a comic book convention, I thought I'd give you a little insight into some of the facets of this phenomenon. I've been attending cons since 1969 so I know what I'm talking about...maybe. My original goal back then was to obtain a few hard-to-find back issues only to discover that there's a bit more to attending a con than just buying comic books. The first con I attended was the old New York Comic Art Convention. The show was large for its time and unknown to me (I soon found out) "big name" artists attended it. You actually got to see and to meet comic creators like Jack Kirby, Bill Everett, Hal Foster and many more! However, this was just the tip of the iceberg. I discovered discussion panels where you could hear your favorite writers and artists talk about their work and they'd actually respond to your questions! You could see multi-media presentations on past, present and future comics (in those days, slide shows), costume contests, all night cult movies and you could meet people with similar interests, making lifelong friendships.

All the above still occurs at cons today but pumped up to the max. Today's dealers not only carry comics but DVDs, toys and lots more. Comic companies have large booth setups with massive displays. Panels now have giant videoscreens to accommodate large audiences, costumes are not limited to just contests. (you can't walk two feet without bumping into Tomb Raider clones, for example) and movies are not viewed in only one area but as many as five. One of the downsides of the success and growth of comic cons over the years is that nowadays to meet your favorite creator you have to stand in massive lines and wait potentially a long time. One of the constants which haven't changed, though, is that you can still meet people and make friendships which will last the rest of your life. Have fun! Bob Polio. NECP Art Director.

Edited by vsndesigns

Yeah, the Best Battle Ever...The Tick Vs. The Tick (Barry Hubris) Animation Cel going on sale on Ebay at 6:15pm PDT. And yes...I'm gonna bid on this one, if I can only remind myself on time! http://www.ebay.com/itm/191934889437?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
nutz!!!!....I missed it..sold for 38 bucks...geez...hope they lost the next frame.

Reminder: Just 12 more days to the release of The Tick on Amazon Prime on Friday, August 19th!

2r5svup.jpg

Important: You must watch the entire show in order to cast your vote for Amazon to continue with a full season of The Tick!

:ohnoez:

:popcorn:

Reminder: Just 12 more days to the release of The Tick on Amazon Prime on Friday, August 19th!

2r5svup.jpg

Important: You must watch the entire show in order to cast your vote for Amazon to continue with a full season of The Tick!

:ohnoez:

:popcorn:

Do you know if there is a special button to push to vote or does it come out at the end of the movie like a pop-up?

I can't remember if I already shared these before but in case I didn't....

The Tick SDCC 2015 Sketch Cover Exclusive Version by Shelby Robertson

2zrpzph.jpg

The Tick: 2015 San Diego Comic-Con Exclusive Comic Book (Sketch cover)

The Tick SDCC 2015 Exclusive (Sketch cover) comic is 16 pages with all original material and is in FULL COLOR. Includes a 13-page story & sketches (one by Ben Edlund). This book is LIMITED and is serial numbered. Available only at the NEC Tick booth. #nn. CGC Signature Series Graded at 9.8. New England Comics August 2015, Signed and Sketched by Shelby Robertson. Manufactured with "081" printed on front cover. White Pages. Jeff McClelland Story, Duane Redhead art. CGC #1328564003.

Shelby Robertson Shelby Robertson is an American comic book illustrator, known for his pinup-style renditions of attractive female characters. His detailed rendering of heavily muscled figures has been compared to that of Frank Frazetta and Michael Turner. He describes his style as "part Marvel, part DC, and part old school Image".

Early life

Shelby Robertson had no formal art training. His biggest influence is British artist Alan Davis, in particular Davis' work on Excalibur in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Robertson elaborates that it was not Davis' style that he wished to emulate, but that seeing his work inspired him to want to draw for a living. In terms of artists whose work he emulates, he acknowledges that his work appears to emulate Michael Turner, Arthur Adams, Jim Lee, Marc Silvestri, and Frank Frazetta, all of whom he is a fan, and also mentions Travis Charest and Terry Dodson.

Career

Robertson's art career started at the age of 15 when he was hired by the British Aeronautics Magazine as a lead artist and concept illustrator. He was hired by Rob Liefeld at the age of 17, and his first submission pin-up became his first published work in the industry. He did Rascal from the Black Flag comic serialized tale and after a few months, was permitted to do his own book, "Crypt and tons of fill in pagework".[attribution needed] He also helped out with many "ghost" inks and was often used as a background assistant to seasoned veteran comic book artists.

Since leaving Extreme Studios in 1996, he has worked on a number of different titles for different publishers. He has also done work for the music industry, including layout and pre-press production for Glenn Danzig, Bloodhound Gang, Agent 51 Adeline Records, Box Of Stuff, and Kidd Nasty. Winner of the coveted 2011 Phoenix New Times Best Comic Book Artist Award.

Partial bibliography

1993 - 1995 British Aeronautics Journal, British Aeronautics Magazine, Aeros Worldwide

1995 - Early 1998 Image Comics, Crypt 1, Chapel 3, Badrock Fan Magazine, Prophet Chromium Trading Cards

1996 Maximum Press, Black Flag 0, Black Flag 4, Avengelyne Swimsuit 1

1996 Malibu Press Prime *9 issue run cancelled due to Marvel Comics purchase of the West Coast publishing house.

1996 - 1997 Entity Comics, Fem 5 1 - 5, Fem 5 Untold 1, Stargate 1 - 2, Krusada 1

1997 - 1999 London Night Studios, Morbid Angel 1 - 3, Razor (Various Covers, Trading Cards, and Poster Arts)

1998 Verotik Albino Spider of Dajette 0, Satanika 1 - 3, Verotik Halloween Cards, Dalkiel 1

1999 - 2003 Anelektrix Entertainment, Latex Alice 0 - 3, NVN 0, Forever Realms 1, Darkshrine 1 - 4

2004 - Current American Dischord, Latex Alice 1, S-Unit 0, Shelby Robertson Sketchbook Vol. 1

154vl8p.jpg

2015 Boston Comic Con Front Cover Sketch Illustration by Bob Polio of New England Comics.