• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's finally time to put Danny Dupcak out of business auction FUNDRAISER
2 2

607 posts in this topic

If anyone has ever done any picture framing, you might be familiar with mat cutters. I'm pretty sure you could use one of these to microtrim a comic book. It would require practice but it is certainly do-able.

This is the model that I use for framing.

mat cutter

Haven't seen one of those in use, looks heavy duty though. I'm pretty sure I read to trim a comic, the best way is a sliding razor rotary cutter. I have seen one of those in use. Done with a fresh blade and slowly you could make square corners sharp enough to poke your eye out. They key is also to make it undetectable (a regular trim can be easy to spot), that is what DD's specialty is.

It would be so awesome to see a picture of his lab posted here. I imagine it to be elaborate; drafting tables, microscopes, tiny jars of paint, brushes, magnifying glasses, dry press, absorene, razor cutters, spotlights, and one of those doodads that had the electrical arc walk up it in those old 40 sci-fi movies (jacob's ladder?).

Edited by Warren Oates

Someone recounted seeing DD trimming a book years ago. I can't recall if it was on the boards or not -- but at any rate, this was a low-tech operation. Essentially a hand-held razor.

That would have been enough to get by most collectors prior to CGC.

Someone recounted seeing DD trimming a book years ago. I can't recall if it was on the boards or not -- but at any rate, this was a low-tech operation. Essentially a hand-held razor.

x-acto knife

This is from memory so I may need some help here...........

Anyone remember the post where a board member showed a raw book and the mico trimmed fc right edge side by side?

And then the same book in a blue label slab.

I think it was Dad and Son but I can not be certain. Apology to D&S if not.

He claimed it was done with an xacto knife.

This is from memory so I may need some help here...........

Anyone remember the post where a board member showed a raw book and the mico trimmed fc right edge side by side?

And then the same book in a blue label slab.

I think it was Dad and Son but I can not be certain. Apology to D&S if not.

He claimed it was done with an xacto knike.

It was Dad&Son and I think it was a copy of Son Of Tomahawk?

Most people took the truth of that with a grain of salt, due to the source, but... hm

I just came across Ewert v. Coller civil case in Florida 2007. A Jason Ewert that sued a Bruce Coller for Assault, Libel, and Slander. Like I said, I'm still reading about all of these guys, but I can't get any info on what this was about or even if these are the people I think they are. I have about 20-years of catching up to do.

Edited by passion4comics

assualt? WTF? as for slander, i doubt ewert has a case. but this thread is about danny boy/robojo33/hair club for men.

I know, but for less of a better place to ask I picked the most current thread that had names I keep searching on and off site with. I didn't want to open a new thread for a 2 year old issue. I don't want to hijack this thread either. As I read more and more the same names keep popping up going back at least 5 years. DD back even more.

Ewert vs Coller

Edited by passion4comics

I haven't trawled through all 52 pages for this thread.

But I was recently alerted to Robojo33 aka Perry Stroud aka DD (?).

If so, DD has changed his MO. There's alot of talk about him selling restored books as unrestored.

Looking at his current ebay auctions under Robojo33, all RAW books he sells might be overgraded with poor photos but he seems to now declare restoration:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-49-APPT-NM-9-4-RESTORED-/180607440182?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0d0ad536#ht_1354wt_906

He also claims that all raw books have a 'guarantee' against restoration. If it's a PLOD from CGC, he will refund all costs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-32-NM-NM-9-4-9-6-/170586517539?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b7bfb023#ht_1930wt_906

Still, punishment should be meted out for his past sins.

I haven't trawled through all 52 pages for this thread.

You really should, there's a lot of good info there, including what I'm about to tell you so you don't have to search for it.

He also claims that all raw books have a 'guarantee' against restoration. If it's a PLOD from CGC, he will refund all costs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-32-NM-NM-9-4-9-6-/170586517539?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b7bfb023#ht_1930wt_906

At the bottom of the yellow-highlighted box, in the 'fine print', is this disclaimer:

"There is a 7-day approval period from the time you receive your item to request a refund."

Now, I don't know about you, but I sure can't get a comic sent to, graded by, and returned to me by CGC within seven days. As a matter of fact, you'd be hard-pressed to get a book graded and returned before the time limit for placing a Paypal claim runs out, especially these days.

This is what he counts on.

The only way you'll get a book CGC graded within that window is if you have the book graded on-site at a con. How many of his customers do you think actually do that? Not many, and this is why when someone does get a book graded as restored in time for a paypal claim, he's more than happy to refund the money. It's probably less than one percent of his auctions that he gets caught, and has to do a refund. For all the rest, he's laughing all the way to the bank.

If so, DD has changed his MO. There's alot of talk about him selling restored books as unrestored.

Looking at his current ebay auctions under Robojo33, all RAW books he sells might be overgraded with poor photos but he seems to now declare restoration:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-49-APPT-NM-9-4-RESTORED-/180607440182?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0d0ad536#ht_1354wt_906

Forgot to address this.

As for his new habit of posting CGC'd books and declaring resto on some of his raws, he hopes to fool buyers who know his rep into thinking he's turned over a new leaf.

Don't fall for it. He sprinkles his auctions these days with slabs and disclosed restored books like a hateful Johnny Appleseed, in hopes that people will think that his other books are indeed pristine, since he's being honest about a couple of them.

Don't believe the hype. When he finally starts scanning books and makes his FB public, I might consider the thought that he's going legit...but I'd still never give him a dime.

Oh, good lord. If ever there was a sign he still reads these forums, it's in the image he uses as his profile pic on Ebay.

Some time in 2009, I started putting this image in every Robojo thread for giggles:

DA_The_Robot_Devil.jpg

I don't know how long he's had it as his avatar on Ebay, but it's definitely a case of him thumbing his nose at these forums.

Currently scheduled for trial on January 6, 2011, but no surprise that Mr. Dupcak is not cooperating in responding to discovery requests (including failing to appear for his deposition) so this is about to become an issue.

:popcorn: