• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

On 8/3/2021 at 8:49 PM, CycleGirl said:

C'Link results 7/29 (since they don't appear in GPA).

2.0 OW/W (UK) $7100

5.0 OW/W $23,750

6.0 OW $38,000

8.5 OW/W $105,000

Hmm.... prices are just a little bit down from May/June. I am guessing that the discoloration on the 6.0 and the corner crease on the 8.5 probably were factors. They're still beautiful books.

00000211560000111286489003.jpg00000211685000111099828001.jpg

Someone got a great deal!

On 8/3/2021 at 10:20 PM, captain_em said:

Someone got a great deal!

Yeah, that 2.0 UK guy!  There are about as many blue non-variant XM1 in 8.5 (52) as there are total blue UK price variants of XM1 in ALL grades combined (67).  For the UKPV collector, there are only two blue 2.0s, so at just over $7K he/she found a nice entry point for this mega key.  

But yes, apparently the 5.0, 6.0, and 8.5 were all good deals, too.  Especially the 6.0 and 8.5.   A 5.0 sold for $30K in April and $25K in 7/27, so the $23,750 looks cheap for even a modestly long-term hold.  If the grading and prices fetched in June for the GA Promise books with sun shade say anything, it is that deep pockets don’t frown upon sun shades for early vintage books.  So that 6.0 for just $38K might look real cheap soon (if not already) b/c it sold in May for $46K.  The 8.5 sold for $105K and looks relatively cheap, too, b/c it presents well (that small corner crease is consistent with 8.5) and an 8.5 sold for $114K in June.  A 7.5 was $75K in May, which suggests more separation could be warranted from 8.0/8.5, too?  

Edited by Pantodude

Considering the CGC 2.0 UKPV just went for $7100, what do you think a fair price would be for a raw copy with the same grade (obviously an estimated grade since it is raw). I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one, but don't want to overpay, yet don't want to low ball the seller either. Any thoughts? Hope this question is appropriate for this forum otherwise can delete. Thanks.

On 8/4/2021 at 4:03 AM, Pantodude said:

If the grading and prices fetched in June for the GA Promise books with sun shade say anything, it is that deep pockets don’t frown upon sun shades for early vintage books. 

strong disagree on this. no offense to whoever bought the 6.0 xmen1, but this is a really bad bit of tanning on the cover, on a white book where it really shows up more than on most other covers. neither i nor most of my collector friends would go for this copy if we were in the market for this grade. yes, there will still be buyers for it when sold again, because it's xmen1. but it will sell for less than a well presenting copy. comparing GA books belonging to a brand-new, hyped up pedigree to this is truly comparing apples and cat food. 

On 8/4/2021 at 8:00 AM, alexgross.com said:

strong disagree on this. no offense to whoever bought the 6.0 xmen1, but this is a really bad bit of tanning on the cover, on a white book where it really shows up more than on most other covers. neither i nor most of my collector friends would go for this copy if we were in the market for this grade. yes, there will still be buyers for it when sold again, because it's xmen1. but it will sell for less than a well presenting copy. comparing GA books belonging to a brand-new, hyped up pedigree to this is truly comparing apples and cat food. 

I haven't heard the term sun-shade before.   Is the sun-shade/tanning referring to the darker strip along the right edge of the book? Or is the tanning referring to the whole book cover being off-white..I have seen many x-men 1s with this sort of color before, and was never sure of if it was due to soiling/dirt that could be helped with a cleaning, versus it being the page actually tanned/browned, so would love to get thoughts from those with much more experience here on how to tell the difference. 

image.png.ed9a2a65fd07cc65080b9ee73dc23c6d.png

On 8/4/2021 at 11:00 AM, alexgross.com said:

I hear you, but the x-men 6.0, which was already discounted, still presented well enough for a mid-grade book (might have been a 7.0 but for the dust shadow, which did not affect structural integrity).  Folks keep forgeting that it's not always about the cover, and it shouldn't be.  Second, many folks in the GA section have already lamented the apparent disregard of dust shadows in both the grading and the bidding of MANY of the Promise books.  For example, we have the purchase of a book like this (see below) for $250K (!), which was more than anyone expected it would go for pre-auction. 

8CEC5B8C-AD4F-4979-A2E2-B8AD824A7881.jpeg

Telling here is that the extent of the dust shadow actually should have prevented this book from being a 9.4 and thus from being the single highest-graded copy.  Yet folks still bid on this book as if it were the single highest graded despite there being two 9.0s out there w/o this issue.  This suiggests that the dust shadow was disregarded by these deep-pocket bidders.  To reiterate, no one expected the book to go that high even if the 9.4 had been accurate, and yet it sold for multiples with the obvious dust shadow.  And there are numerous examples of this that folks flagged.  

In the end, of course I don't disagree with your common sense statement that, all things being equal (i.e., there's more to it than just the cover), better presenting books should go for more.  

Edited by Pantodude

On 8/4/2021 at 12:12 PM, skyline23 said:

I haven't heard the term sun-shade before.   Is the sun-shade/tanning referring to the darker strip along the right edge of the book? Or is the tanning referring to the whole book cover being off-white..I have seen many x-men 1s with this sort of color before, and was never sure of if it was due to soiling/dirt that could be helped with a cleaning, versus it being the page actually tanned/browned, so would love to get thoughts from those with much more experience here on how to tell the difference. 

image.png.ed9a2a65fd07cc65080b9ee73dc23c6d.png

That is generally referred to as a dust shadow caused (most often) when a portion of the book sticks out in a pile or stack (or on a shelf despite flanked by other books) and gets exposed to more sunlight than the rest of the book.  

Edited by Pantodude

On 8/4/2021 at 9:20 AM, Pantodude said:

That is generally referred to as a dust shadow caused (most often) when a portion of the book sticks out in a pile or stack (or on a shelf despite flanked by other books) and gets exposed to more sunlight than the rest of the book.  

Thanks for the explanation!..so is the rest of the white cover that is now off-white just typical aging/tanning (consistent with most X-men 1s I have seen,regardless of grade), or is that also something that can be cleaned? (or a combo of both)?

Also, for additional context, here are my two entries into the club,both of which I think present  well but aren't bright white covers either, even though the colors pop otherwise :)..Side note, if anyone is interested, the non SS I may be putting up for sale/trade now since I got the SS copy earlier this week, courtesy of @CCComics

image.thumb.png.9b084370f50d870949ad86a11dc9bd45.png

On 8/9/2021 at 4:07 AM, Dark Knight said:

A 5.5 copy just sold on ebay for $22,400 auction style. A far cry from the highs of what $34k it reached at its peak.

The Blackstone frenzy from back in the spring is fizzling out. Now this is felt Even in the price results of keys. That frenzy was apparently driven by a group of people trying to take advantage of them being ‘in the know’ about the comming blackstone takeover. 

On 8/9/2021 at 12:44 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Prices go up and prices go down and eventually up over time. There will always be non collectors buying and selling nothing new.

X-Men 1 is not a rare book but is hard to locate in 9.0 and higher. Even lower grades will not go back to previous year values. Like I said over time they trend upwards.

Agreed. IMO X-Men #1 is still a strong "buy and hold".