• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,405 posts in this topic

should be the #1 book :)

Never. lol

....it's only worked it'\s way up from # 6 or whatever because of temporary media hype....... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Yes but the gains won't be temporary. I think there's gonna be a new crop of fans - some who've made well in the tech or finance industries. People who can well afford a book of this stature. Also, I think DC may outpace Marvel on gains for a few years - but that remains to be seen. They have a lot more ground to make up. Also lots of folks of a certain age are holding higher grade copies which may start to come out in a few years when demand really outstrips supply.

. . . that is if anyone really cares to own one in a decade or so. The down side of all the hype and superheated prices is we risk losing touch with the reality that (unlike us of a certain age) most kids today aren't aspiring to own a SC 4 :tonofbricks:

. . . that is if anyone really cares to own one in a decade or so. The down side of all the hype and superheated prices is we risk losing touch with the reality that (unlike us of a certain age) most kids today aren't aspiring to own a SC 4 :tonofbricks:

:shrug:

No offense, but not really a strong point. You can make that same statement about most of the books we collect on here... Also 10 years is a very short time period - generationally speaking current high value comic collectors span early 30's and on. This means that you can safely speculate that comics won't completely crash in the next 30 or so odd years - however, prices may begin to deflate once the last baby boomers go into "fixed income mode" and demand slows relative to the newly available supply (as hinted above).

The larger concern is that the end of the printed medium in general will be seen in our lives - which means the question is whether or not kids today will grow up and want to own artifacts from the past that represent the beginning of the characters (albeit different versions) they loved as children. Honestly, that is a big question about the hobby - not just this book.

Edited by rfoiii

Full disclosure- I sold everything including an almost complete run of Flash and the four showcase issues. Of course I sold my SC 4 6.0 to a boardie for a good price for both of us that now looks like the deal of the century. Fortunately, I do not harbor any bitterness since I used the funds to start a business which was a great move for me.

I have been lurking, but now I am ready to ease back into the market again. There seems to be a supply of SC4 out there. The question I have is the market topped out on this book or do you see continued inflation.

Wow... Even though it is restored I can imagine that fetching a pretty penny!

I like the fake pretty books. I'm just never sure how to value them. Did it start as a 1.5, 2.0, or a 4.0. Without the before or after, it makes it tough.

I like the fake pretty books. I'm just never sure how to value them. Did it start as a 1.5, 2.0, or a 4.0. Without the before or after, it makes it tough.

I like restored books as well, particularly Golden Age ones.

In this case it is a Voldy slab, so a little harder to understand the consistency of grading. However, for a book to grade this high post restoration it was likely a mid-grade book to begin with.

If it was CGC I would buy it, but Voldy makes it a no thank you for me.

In this case it is a Voldy slab, so a little harder to understand the consistency of grading. However, for a book to grade this high post restoration it was likely a mid-grade book to begin with.

Actually. I would bet it was very very low grade before restored.

Actually. I would bet it was very very low grade before restored.

Really? The Voldy slab really throws me for a loop. I haven't seen many low grade books be restored beyond a 9.0.

You're probably right with all the pieces replaced.

:hi:

Eh, personally I am still a fan of collecting restored comics - particularly those without trimming and from the Golden Age or earlier. However, I would only buy them in CGC slabs or if I know the person doing the restoration.

I know it is perhaps not the most popular opinion, but I like them and they can make a really expensive book obtainable and be presentable.