• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,405 posts in this topic

Are you thinking about selling?

In fact it'll be in the upcoming signature auction at Heritage.

Did you keep your undercopy or did you get it sold?

Indeed I sold all mine, this will have to keep me for a while.

:cry: Going for downgrade or something else cool?

I still have the under under copy.

Oh...the days when this book was under under priced. I still have to visit the Bagel guy and give him some more bagel business. lol

I was surprised the raw copy went for that much. Looks 3.5/4.0 tops and there is the risk and cost of grading.

Either the buyer expects a higher grade or this book just continues to blow up.....

I don't think those 2 points have to be mutually exclusive. I agree it was no where near his grade of a 5

The seller was really quick to respond to questions and seemed pretty legit to me. I was a buyer in the $10k range, but at $12.5k, that seems to be what it would optimistically be after getting it pressed/slabbed. Very little upside at that price, with the downside of any potential problems.

Priced like a 3.5-4.5 with risk.

What is noteworthy to me is that a high value collectible does not need a third party confirmation that it is a high value collectible.

Yup. Some people love to gamble, you win some and loose some. In this case you don't loose everything, or an opportunity for a good deal for one's collection.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

Priced like a 3.5-4.5 with risk.

What is noteworthy to me is that a high value collectible does not need a third party confirmation that it is a high value collectible.

Yup. Some people love to gamble, you win some and loose some. In this case you don't loose everything, or an opportunity for a good deal for one's collection.

Makes sense

Are you thinking about selling?

In fact it'll be in the upcoming signature auction at Heritage.

Did you keep your undercopy or did you get it sold?

Indeed I sold all mine, this will have to keep me for a while.

IMG_3133_zpsr7fhqoaw.jpg

:cry: Going for downgrade or something else cool?

:whistle:

I also sent the seller a few questions, and he replied very quickly, he seemed like a legit ebayers. It def looked like a 3.5-4.0 copy but maybe with a press & dry cleaning the book may get a 5.0 who knows... (shrug)

Edited by weaponx77

I also sent the seller a few questions, and he replied very quickly, he seemed like a legit ebayers. It def looked like a 3.5-4.0 copy but maybe with a press & dry cleaning the book may get a 5.0 who knows... (shrug)

12k without a resto/trim check . To seller who isn't familiar with comics. Definitely a gamble.

12k without a resto/trim check . To seller who isn't familiar with comics. Definitely a gamble.

I called and talked to the guy and asked if I won the auction could I inspect the book in hand before paying. I also could pay in cash if he preferred. I don't think the book is restored but I had a concern with the condition of the book being closer to a 4.0 or worse and possible coupon missing pages. He said I could pick it up in person but I had to pay for the book first through Ebay. If I had any problems I would have to file a paypal dispute as its being sold as is no returns. I said I'll pass and won't be bidding. The seller was about five hours from me and I was willing to make the trip to complete the deal.

I called and talked to the guy and asked if I won the auction could I inspect the book in hand before paying. I also could pay in cash if he preferred. I don't think the book is restored but I had a concern with the condition of the book being closer to a 4.0 or worse and possible coupon missing pages. He said I could pick it up in person but I had to pay for the book first through Ebay. If I had any problems I would have to file a paypal dispute as its being sold as is no returns. I said I'll pass and won't be bidding. The seller was about five hours from me and I was willing to make the trip to complete the deal.

I could understand the seller wanting to be paid before he turned over the book, as he doesn't really know you and he could be robbed.

But he should have agreed to return your money if, on inspection of the book you decided you didn't want it.

I could understand the seller wanting to be paid before he turned over the book, as he doesn't really know you and he could be robbed.

But he should have agreed to return your money if, on inspection of the book you decided you didn't want it.

+1 or I would have asked if he could meet at his bank to do the inspection and paid in cash. I've done this before and it worked out really well.

+1 or I would have asked if he could meet at his bank to do the inspection and paid in cash. I've done this before and it worked out really well.

I said we could meet at his nearest Wells Fargo. The Ebay rep he spoke to on the phone was pressuring him to only completing the sale on Ebay. If I paid direct, I told him we could cancel the sale and he would get his $850.00 back from Ebay. He was close to taking my deal, but the Ebay rep put a fear in the back of his mind.

Anything over 10k and Paypal wants nothing to do with disputes. If you make any payment using multiple payments 10k limit plus let's say 5k more, Paypal protection goes out of the window. You could screw the guy and say you never received it if it was a Paypal transaction. Either the guy is pretty ignorant to this 10k limit or that he could have someone file a never received claim or he knows it very well and is waiting for someone to take the bait.

I'm pretty sure I joined the Club way back when, but after scanning through the first 20 pages of this thread I couldn't find anything, so I'll rejoin.

About a dozen plus years ago I got on a buying kick and latched onto a number of GA restored books and One SA book...

showcase.jpg

It's an EP 8.5...