• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,405 posts in this topic

Thanks Guys...

I actually bought Showcase #4 originally off the shelf at a little Candy store around the corner from where I lived in East Orange NJ, called Jimmies. It followed me in late 1955 to a new apartment in Orange NJ but was lost somewhere afterwards along with the Detective with the first appearance of Batwoman. :(

I thought it was Sid's? hm

Beautiful Showcase 4 you have there. It looks very natural and yet newsstand fresh!

Sid's Luncheonette was in Orange NJ which is where I moved to just before my 9th birthday. It was called Jades at the time.

Jimmies was a small candy store (sold Mike and Ike's loose 4 for a penny) around the corner from where we rented in East Orange (there's also a West Orange and South Orange, but I digress). That's where I purchased Showcase 4, Tec 233 and assorted Western comics (Two Gun Kid, Outlaw Kid, etc) and a Plasticman or two that I can remember. Only the Showcase and Tec made the move to Orange and were promptly lost or tossed out.

The Restored Showcase 4 in the Pic was purchased by me at least a Dozen years ago and does look both natural and fresh. Don't know who did the work but it certainly presents well. It's still in it's original case, so i've never held it i hand. I use my extensive DC Archive and Marvel Masterworks Library to reread books that are now slabbed or have been sold.

Thanks Guys...

I actually bought Showcase #4 originally off the shelf at a little Candy store around the corner from where I lived in East Orange NJ, called Jimmies. It followed me in late 1955 to a new apartment in Orange NJ but was lost somewhere afterwards along with the Detective with the first appearance of Batwoman. :(

I thought Showcase 4 came out in early 1956 (March 1956 is the listing on the book).

I didn't think it came out in 1955. I could be wrong though.

Thanks Guys...

I thought Showcase 4 came out in early 1956 (March 1956 is the listing on the book).

My bad; :eek:

It is a Sept/Oct 1956 book that would have reached the shelves in the Summer of 1956.

I moved to Orange on Oct 1st 1956 a week before I turned 9...Probably why I still had it with me...

Thanks Guys...

My bad; :eek:

It is a Sept/Oct 1956 book that would have reached the shelves in the Summer of 1956.

I moved to Orange on Oct 1st 1956 a week before I turned 9...Probably why I still had it with me...

No problem...was just curious.

Here is my entry. Any thoughts on what this might be worth? Going to keep it, just curious.

No back cover. Flash's head cut out of splash. Two non-story pages missing, but the Flash stories are complete. All pages detached and split (PQ is fine, someone split them by hand) and reassembled into a packet held together by a staple in the top left corner. Who knows why.

A LOT of problems, kind of a mess, but the front cover is very nice and it cost virtually nothing.

showcase%204_zpsqyt822j5.jpg

unnamed_zpswwwlym5f.jpg

1_zps5vawoe1r.jpg

Here is my entry. Any thoughts on what this might be worth? Going to keep it, just curious.

No back cover. Flash's head cut out of splash. Two non-story pages missing, but the Flash stories are complete. All pages detached and split (PQ is fine, someone split them by hand) and reassembled into a packet held together by a staple in the top left corner. Who knows why.

A LOT of problems, kind of a mess, but the front cover is very nice and it cost virtually nothing.

showcase%204_zpsqyt822j5.jpg

unnamed_zpswwwlym5f.jpg

1_zps5vawoe1r.jpg

maybe $1000-$1200 tops?

Agree $1K to $1,200 -- and maybe $1,500 or so in a slab, and it would look nice in a slab because the cover is solid with vibrant reds. GPA lists coverless sales over last 12 months at between $700 to $800, and a .5 with a cover at $2,600 from 13 months ago.

thats your showcase? I'm eyeing it too. how's the back cover look in person? is that orange the bleed through from like, a stack of showcases? Also, looking at what it was bought for in GPA - yeah, I think it's about to go down.

Most likely so. I bought this off a fellow board member in a private sale, quite some time after the sale recorded on GPA, so I hope not :eek: