• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,405 posts in this topic

The Savanah 6.0 copy sold for $27,485. Strong price for it considering it sold for $8,664 back in 2011. However, a 6.0 sold in October for $28.950. Close in price....but I thought the Savanah copy would go higher.

The Savanah 6.0 copy sold for $27,485. Strong price for it considering it sold for $8,664 back in 2011. However, a 6.0 sold in October for $28.950. Close in price....but I thought the Savanah copy would go higher.

No offence to Boba or the book but Savanah has to be one of the lowest pedigrees. I agree I expected it to go north of 30k though :(

No offence to Boba or the book but Savanah has to be one of the lowest pedigrees. I agree I expected it to go north of 30k though :(

None taken. :foryou:

I too though there was a little more left, but then again better than $4k a grade-point, and certainly a lot more than I paid for it.

But I also think the rumors about the Savannah books is a lot of hooey. The book looked great to me. Buy the book . . .

I'm happy - and I have 5 more Showcases coming up for auction on Saturday :gossip:

Me too (shrug)

Me too (shrug)

Didn't know you owned it so congrats on the sale. I did think there was more meat there to at least 30k. I wonder if the BP just scares people because the next bid would have been well over 30k with BP baked in....

And for what it's worth, that copy looked great to me. Are you also the one selling the Showcase 13 and 14 6.0s? I'm hoping the prices pick up steam on them before the auction ends....I just bought 6.0s myself...and they weren't cheap... :)

Good luck!

Full disclosure, I've spoken to a knowledgeable and respected Board Member about this book and would like to put forward a question to you folks who are particularly knowledgeable about this book.

If one wanted to resubmit this book to CGC for the purpose of getting the "New" restoration designation, would it be worth it??

Conceivably, it might come back as an A3 or A4. I say this because the fact that it's graded 8.5 would suggest to me that the work would likely be considered "A". Considering that Tear Seals, Reinforcing and Cleaning are considered Conservation now, the Pieces added and Color Touch would be what is restoration.

IF they have to fully regrade the book there's the possibility that tighter standards might reduce the grade, and there's always the possibility of the resto still being considered sufficient for the Extensive designation (5).

So, the upside a possible A3 or A4 8.5. Worst case scenario a possible B5 8.0.

And it would likely cost $300 or so plus 2 way shipping...

What might you do???

I'm pretty sure I joined the Club way back when, but after scanning through the first 20 pages of this thread I couldn't find anything, so I'll rejoin.

About a dozen plus years ago I got on a buying kick and latched onto a number of GA restored books and One SA book...

showcase.jpg

It's an EP 8.5...

Why does the new restoration status matter?

I don't believe the market has moved to the point of differentiating restored books to that extent yet (still mostly operates on Amatuer vs Professional, trimming or not and "eye appeal"). Seems like a waste of money.

:shrug:

Edited by rfoiii

I don't believe the market has moved to the point of differentiating restored books to that extent yet (still mostly operates on Amatuer vs Professional, trimming or not and "eye appeal"). Seems like a waste of money.

Hear where your coming from, but I have it on Expert opinion that getting a professional grade that deems the book to be "Moderately" restored is significantly better than one that is deemed to be extensively restored for Value Purposes.

Since CGC has changed their criteria, swapping out an old Purple label that was EP, (due to some previous repairs that are now considered Conservation) for an a3 (Excellent quality/Moderate resto) ,it might behoove one to take advantage of the situation...

In summary, it would be the same book, same resto, same grade, etc., BUT it would now be deemed Moderate resto instead of Extensive.

Think of a straight resub that changes the grade from an 8.5 to a 9.0. NOTHING changed but the label, yet the book has jumped in value.

And therein lies the point...

Sounds like you made your decision ;) Go 4 it! (thumbs u

Not really - not much of a risk taker...

I think I might just put it up on ebay with a reasonable (Although I can't fathom how to find that out) price and a make an offer. That way I can't lose too much...we'll see.

Hear where your coming from, but I have it on Expert opinion that getting a professional grade that deems the book to be "Moderately" restored is significantly better than one that is deemed to be extensively restored for Value Purposes.

Since CGC has changed their criteria, swapping out an old Purple label that was EP, (due to some previous repairs that are now considered Conservation) for an a3 (Excellent quality/Moderate resto) ,it might behoove one to take advantage of the situation...

In summary, it would be the same book, same resto, same grade, etc., BUT it would now be deemed Moderate resto instead of Extensive.

Think of a straight resub that changes the grade from an 8.5 to a 9.0. NOTHING changed but the label, yet the book has jumped in value.

Theoretically what you are being told is true if the new book being graded received a moderate versus extensive designation. Jump in value could but upwards of 15-25% depending on the key and eye appeal.

I guess what I don't understand is that if you have an "expert opinion" and seem to already have made up your mind - why create a thread?

Frankly this would be purely gaming the system to artificially inflate the value of the book for resale. Not that I am against it, but it isn't something I would advertise around here either. 2c

Either way, good luck! (thumbs u

I think I might just put it up on ebay with a reasonable (Although I can't fathom how to find that out) price and a make an offer. That way I can't lose too much...we'll see.

Use this: value of restored comics

It is based on the "old" system, but it works pretty well for valuing restored books. Add another 5-15% depending on "eye appeal," the "keyness" of the book and where the market is trending on the book.

In your case you could probably price it fairly around 20-25% of FMV for an 8.5 Blue label.

Edited by rfoiii

I guess what I don't understand is that if you have an "expert opinion" and seem to already have made up your mind - why create a thread?

Frankly this would be purely gaming the system to artificially inflate the value of the book for resale. Not that I am against it, but it isn't something I would advertise around here either. 2c

"Gaming the system"???

Why would anyone resub any book other than hoping to get a better grade and increase it's value??? It's still the exact same book and if you're not going to sell why bother???

I think that analogy holds up to scrutiny...

Plus, CGC changed the game when they decided to no longer consider numerous procedures as restoration. There are probably many sad EP's out there that if resubbed would now be moderate.

And what if someone resubs in the hope of just getting a bump in PQ?? Is that gaming the system??

And, NO, i haven't decided just yet...although I may forego the resub and just list it for sale...

"Gaming the system"???

Why would anyone resub any book other than hoping to get a better grade and increase it's value??? It's still the exact same book and if you're not going to sell why bother???

I think that analogy holds up to scrutiny...

Plus, CGC changed the game when they decided to no longer consider numerous procedures as restoration. There are probably many sad EP's out there that if resubbed would now be moderate.

And what if someone resubs in the hope of just getting a bump in PQ?? Is that gaming the system??

And, NO, i haven't decided just yet...although I may forego the resub and just list it for sale...

We don't have to get into a philosophical debate, my main point was that I just wouldn't advertise it around here.

You can do whatever you want with your book; however, like any potential controversial subjects - they are best not approached around here lest you want to invite scrutiny. Which you clearly do not want.

"Lighten up Francis."

Edited by rfoiii

If you're going to go that route why not put it on here in the marketplace for a day or two first. It's such a nice book and a lot of folks are looking for one, and you have a good rep around here as well. You could do the same thing, avoid the eBay fees and the possibility of selling to a dirtbag.

Just a thought.