• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,405 posts in this topic

It's always a real crapshoot with books like that. Most of the time I've found the resto can't be removed at all (never mind being doable but with the consequence of massive grade reduction).

It's a pretty copy though and great for someone who wants a nice copy from a smaller budget. Book is already almost $3k tho......

Joey

It is tricky getting restoration removed, but if the book has very little done to it and it's restricted to a really small area you can get "lucky" - but that's what it is, not a sure bet by any shakes. My SC #1 had some really minor color-touch and I had it removed and it got a 7.0 and I can't see really where the C/T was removed. But if Matt said that he couldn't do it without damaging the book I would have opted to leave it alone and take the PLOD.

With the new restored slabs CGC announced, a book with very minor color touch will get a lighter sentence so-to-speak, and maybe this book would be a good deal for someone at $3k +/- (shrug)

If it grades above 5.0 I would say that $13k will be a steal in a short period of time.

You only saying that cause you have a copy and not sharing :baiting:

:o

:baiting:

Eh, statement still holds true. (shrug)

Not disagreeing :P just thinking you should send it north of the wall winter is coming!

:roflmao:

a good deal at $3k...maybe

a good deal at $5k.....wow!!

+1

SA Resto = ~50% blue label

4.0 PLOD SA (small color touch), $3K is probably in the realm given the current market, maybe could hit close to $4K with the right buyer(s).

I thought I had a chance at the book but I guess I was wrong.

I thought a FMV was in the $3.6-4k range(and I was willing to pay that), When it made that jump at the end to $5k I was blown away.

It just shows how fast the book is taking off.

Sales data is tough to come by since it has been sold so infrequently, but if $5k is fair market value - that would put the price of a blue label 4.0 around $9-10K.

hm

I think there is pent up demand for affordable copies of this book(especially ones that present well). IIRC there were 4 different bidders who placed a bid of $3k+ on the book(including me.)

That being said if I was willing to spend $5k on this book I would probably be more patient and try to pick up an blue label around the same grade for a little more. (shrug)

That being said if I was willing to spend $5k on this book I would probably be more patient and try to pick up an blue label around the same grade for a little more. (shrug)

Not sure if that's even possible. Asking prices on Clink for blue 4.0 is around the 7k mark now?

Perhaps the buyer was hoping to remove the slight CT and :wishluck: get it to a blue 3.5 or so?

Copies of this book seem few and far between. Perhaps owners are hoarding these waiting for new DC movies to actually kick Marvel ? IE: Anything better than the last GL movie lol.

Right now, Marvel is getting movies right. That equals excellent growth for books (Witness ToS 39, AF15, Avengers 1 & 4, JiM 83). And even speculative growth for movies which are in early stages (FF52, ST110 etc).

SC4s will come out of the woodwork once a movie is firmed up and soar if the movie is actually good.

I just want an affordable (yeah right, I know) copy.

Edited by Shawn Low

Not sure if that's even possible. Asking prices on Clink for blue 4.0 is around the 7k mark now?

Perhaps the buyer was hoping to remove the slight CT and :wishluck: get it to a blue 3.5 or so?

Copies of this book seem few and far between. Perhaps owners are hoarding these waiting for new DC movies to actually kick Marvel ? IE: Anything better than the last GL movie lol.

Right now, Marvel is getting movies right. That equals excellent growth for books (Witness ToS 39, AF15, Avengers 1 & 4, JiM 83). And even speculative growth for movies which are in early stages (FF52, ST110 etc).

SC4s will come out of the woodwork once a movie is firmed up and soar if the movie is actually good.

With a $5K sale on a PLOD 4.0, it wouldn't surprise me if people start asking for a lot more than $7K for a blue 4.0... Based on other PLOD sales versus Blue labels, the pricing gap is typically larger than 29% - even for SA.

With a $5K sale on a PLOD 4.0, it wouldn't surprise me if people start asking for a lot more than $7K for a blue 4.0... Based on other PLOD sales versus Blue labels, the pricing gap is typically larger than 29% - even for SA.

The buyer of this book may have the restoration removed and discover it doesn't even drop a grade point as a 4.0 allows for a lot more flaws then say a 7.0 copy would - so starting with a copy that's already lower grade, with only minor color-touch on the cover, could be a good gamble that it could get into a blue of a similar (or same) grade.

I can't even see why they bothered to color-touch the book and yet leave a ton of color-breaking creases untouched. This book might be a in blue before too long.

The buyer of this book may have the restoration removed and discover it doesn't even drop a grade point as a 4.0 allows for a lot more flaws then say a 7.0 copy would - so starting with a copy that's already lower grade, with only minor color-touch on the cover, could be a good gamble that it could get into a blue of a similar (or same) grade.

I can't even see why they bothered to color-touch the book and yet leave a ton of color-breaking creases untouched. This book might be a in blue before too long.

This takes me back to my original point though....if it could have been done, with little or no damage to the book, or without impacting the grade, why would the seller not have done it prior to listing it? I don't believe the seller of that book knowingly left $2K++ on the table. And I don't think they owned that particular book without knowing what it was.

-J.

The seller already made a few thousand over the usual ask and could just be cashing-in on the popularity or didn't want to risk having the work performed. (shrug)

Unfortunately I think this is probably the most likely scenario for the book, but it does seem like a pretty big gamble at the price paid.

The seller already made a few thousand over the usual ask and could just be cashing-in on the popularity or didn't want to risk having the work performed. (shrug)

The seller might have made $1k more than one would have expected. But as we've seen that spread could be as little as 5-800. I believe if the resto could have been removed without damaging the book or affecting the grade significantly it would have been done. We haven't thought of anything unique here that the seller didn't think of if it would have meant another two grand or more to the seller in a blue label. I don't believe this seller knowingly left any money on the table. And it is very possible that the buyer simply wanted a nice presenting copy for less than a blue label price and has no intention of trying to mess with it.

-J.

. . . it is very possible that the buyer simply wanted a nice presenting copy for less than a blue label price and has no intention of trying to mess with it.

-J.

Could be hm