• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,405 posts in this topic

From what I can tell from those photos, It does has a bit of gloss, and appears to lay flat, but I agree it's a lot of money for a book that also has a lot of yellowing around the edges inside the covers and that "chad" looks fairly large. That's a lot of bread to spend on eBay for a book you can't hold in hand. But maybe there was additional behind the scenes communications.

+1 (shrug)

I thought was a very strong result as well. I msged the seller with about 6 days left in the auction, and I did't get a reply until only a day left.

I bid just over $11K as was still outbid by two people.

Jay: 4.5?! Wow man, you're one strict grader. I'd eat my hat if that book graded anything close..... :acclaim:

You had that book pegged at a 6.0 +?

I bid just over $11K as was still outbid by two people.

Jay: 4.5?! Wow man, you're one strict grader. I'd eat my hat if that book graded anything close..... :acclaim:

Am I strict lol? I figured with the PQ and dull looking back cover it would be a 5.0 max and that's after a press. The 5.0 you had a little while back looked better to me. And considering the large percentage of these that come back restored I really did think that was a strong, strong price for it unslabbed. And yes those early 0 feedback bidders did make the auction seem a bit funky.

-J.

Not having the book in hand it's hard to say, but there is something to give us a reference point - look at the chip on the back cover, it is out of an area that is white and the paper peeking out from below is very tan. Scans can enhance stains and make tan pages look even worse - but having that reference point to compare the paper color to the white of the cover, it looks like the pages are a little tanned. The onside cover has this too. I'd put the book in the 5.0 range - but again without having the book in hand it's hard to grade it with any confidence.

Not having the book in hand it's hard to say, but there is something to give us a reference point - look at the chip on the back cover, it is out of an area that is white and the paper peeking out from below is very tan. Scans can enhance stains and make tan pages look even worse - but having that reference point to compare the paper color to the white of the cover, it looks like the pages are a little tanned. The onside cover has this too. I'd put the book in the 5.0 range - but again without having the book in hand it's hard to grade it with any confidence.

Agreed. Also the back cover has something going on the top right corner, not sure if it staining or the tanning leaking through but something is there. Think should we see this book get slabbed Joey will be glad he didn't win it.

The bidding does look a little fishy as well - a zero feedback bidder really bid it up - from $8200 to $9800 - and then it was taken over by some seemingly legitimate bidders (normal feedback) - so whatever the case it was "worth it" to more than a few bidders.

I wonder what a "real" 6.0 is worth these days hm

The bidding does look a little fishy as well - a zero feedback bidder really bid it up - from $8200 to $9800 - and then it was taken over by some seemingly legitimate bidders (normal feedback) - so whatever the case it was "worth it" to more than a few bidders.

I wonder what a "real" 6.0 is worth these days hm

Forgets what the one went like 2 months ago but think it was like 13ish, mind you before any of the TV stuff was out and about.

If it grades above 5.0 I would say that $13k will be a steal in a short period of time.

You only saying that cause you have a copy and not sharing :baiting:

:o

:baiting:

Eh, statement still holds true. (shrug)

Not disagreeing :P just thinking you should send it north of the wall winter is coming!

lol, I've been busy guys sorry I didn't come back here to continue the debate.

I really do hope whoever bought that copy has it graded. Because it's not a 5.0 book IMO. After addressing the pressable issues, i would have estimated 6.0/6.5 as most likely with outside shot at 7.0+. Tan pages are very common in SC4 and that spine was tight.

So jay/ice - if we knew who bought it, we could throw a friendly wager down.... but oh well.

It's possible the seller had shilling going on, but a) he had ALOT of feedback and b) my bid was beaten by 2 others, not 1....... I ended up in third place.

Joey