• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,405 posts in this topic

. . . it is very possible that the buyer simply wanted a nice presenting copy for less than a blue label price and has no intention of trying to mess with it.

-J.

Could be hm

(shrug)

Eh, it is more fun to speculate on values than seller intentions...

FYI - (joining in on the "fun") I contend that people in general are lazy and that unless this seller was someone who buys and sells books regularly, things like "removing resto" are outside of their interested activities. Either that, or they are just stupid (assuming of course that the resto could be removed without dropping the grade significantly).

Edited by rfoiii

. . . it is very possible that the buyer simply wanted a nice presenting copy for less than a blue label price and has no intention of trying to mess with it.

-J.

Could be hm

(shrug)

FYI - (joining in on the "fun") I contend that people in general are lazy and that unless this seller was someone who buys and sells books regularly, things like "removing resto" are outside of their interested activities. Either that, or they are just stupid (assuming of course that the resto could be removed without dropping the grade significantly).

I think you're right about that. (:

The problem I see with all this (that is if the buyer will remove the color touch) is that it will have bleed through of ink on the cover. The question is, how much bleed through? I have seen color touch that were designated as slight but then having much more touch ups than I thought it would. Or I have even heard of slight amateur color touch with just a drop and without having to dig through the paper to remove. Anything is possible and yes it would be a gamble. If the ct was done by a professional using acrylics, than it would be easier and I can see the grade staying at a 4.0. I think that a drop down to a 3.0 is possible for fear of spine splitting if the ct were to be removed.

-J.

Could be hm

(shrug)

I think you're right about that. (:

:banana:

The problem I see with all this (that is if the buyer will remove the color touch) is that it will have bleed through of ink on the cover. The question is, how much bleed through? I have seen color touch that were designated as slight but then having much more touch ups than I thought it would. Or I have even heard of slight amateur color touch with just a drop and without having to dig through the paper to remove. Anything is possible and yes it would be a gamble. If the ct was done by a professional using acrylics, than it would be easier and I can see the grade staying at a 4.0. I think that a drop down to a 3.0 is possible for fear of spine splitting if the ct were to be removed.

Agreed, Amateur Restoration removal is tricky business...

Would love the book raw for a day with a blacklight to get a good idea of what we are talking here.

-J.

Could be hm

(shrug)

I think that's something the buyer would need to believe if he was in fact planning on trying to flip it. However I do not believe that anyone who owns a showcase 4, especially in this market, is a lazy or novice collector who would knowingly or willingly or cavalierly walk away from an extra couple grand on a sale or more by not optimizing the book prior to sale. Everyone wants to buy for the least and sell for the most, whatever asset or collectible we're talking about. It's just human nature.

-J.

Timing could be a factor. Restoration removal and slabbing a book can tie It up for months. If someone needs money sooner that might motivate selling it on its potential.

Maybe the buyer will show up and enlighten us. Right . . . :whistle:

That's true. But if they just wanted a quick sale they could have dumped it on ebay and paid a fraction of fees. The fact that the book was even on heritage in the first place demonstrates a greater level of savvy on the part of the seller I would suggest. I must admit to wondering myself how much of a grade hit the book would take if someone even had to completely cut away the piece of the cover that had the color touch. That would likely get it into a blue holder, but then you have basically taken a nice looking book and made it ugly just for the sake of label color.

-J.

Robb said it right, there is only a 50% chance (maybe less) that the resto could even be removed without destroying the book (and sending the grade much lower - even if the seller didn't care about destroying it - which I would hope is NOT the case!)

The math is simple. with a blue label 4.0 worth, say $9K, it's a real stretch to pay $5K for that book. Of course, if the buyer just wanted a nice presenting copy......they're pretty rare. So few copies of this grail around, I've always been surprised how cheap it had been (starting to come to reality now).

Joey

Robb said it right, there is only a 50% chance (maybe less) that the resto could even be removed without destroying the book (and sending the grade much lower - even if the seller didn't care about destroying it - which I would hope is NOT the case!)

The math is simple. with a blue label 4.0 worth, say $9K, it's a real stretch to pay $5K for that book. Of course, if the buyer just wanted a nice presenting copy......they're pretty rare. So few copies of this grail around, I've always been surprised how cheap it had been (starting to come to reality now).

Joey

Joey if you're right about that then someone needs to head over to comic link and snatch up that blue label 4.0. :baiting:

-J.

Joey

Joey if you're right about that then someone needs to head over to comic link and snatch up that blue label 4.0. :baiting:

-J.

You don't like that price? :baiting:

Joey

-J.

Thank goodness my man Joey already hooked me up with a sweet looking blue 4.0 early last summer before the recent price spikes. :cloud9: Otherwise I wouldn't even think twice about it.

Joey

-J.

Thank goodness my man Joey already hooked me up with a sweet looking blue 4.0 early last summer before the recent price spikes. :cloud9: Otherwise I wouldn't even think twice about it.

Haha, fair enough.

Either way, the price is good. Data is hard to come by on this book and I bet you could sell that 4.0 for $8K+ in a few months at most.

Joey

Wow, and I sold a 4.0 for $4k (albeit with LT/OW pages) only a couple years ago! If like you say it's $9k for a 4.0 now, that's $5k more! Holy cow.

Joey

-J.

Haha, fair enough.

Either way, the price is good. Data is hard to come by on this book and I bet you could sell that 4.0 for $8K+ in a few months at most.

Indeed! Lots of trades not recorded by GPA - while I use it constantly - its not a complete record of sales. I base my pricing on several factors to arrive at either what I'm willing to pay for a book or sell it.

I do wish they'd get ComicLink to submit :makepoint:

Joey

hi joey, why 9k?, the 4.0 on comic link has been there for a while w/ the highest bid at 6,250(something like that)

Joey

hi joey, why 9k?, the 4.0 on comic link has been there for a while w/ the highest bid at 6,250(something like that)

I did notice that:

link

There's a that 4.5 sold for $7200 recently (listed 3/13/2014) as well.

Joey

Wow, and I sold a 4.0 for $4k (albeit with LT/OW pages) only a couple years ago! If like you say it's $9k for a 4.0 now, that's $5k more! Holy cow.

With this book I doubt you left much, if anything on the table with it having "LT/OW" pages on the label. I've re subbed books with that and come back CR/OW and even OW, and I think enough people understand the randomness of CGC and their "PQ" designations that it is taken with a grain of salt, particularly on rare keys.

-J.

Joey

I did notice that:

link

There's a that 4.5 sold for $7200 recently (listed 3/13/2014) as well.

yes, that was an old label book also

A 6.0 sold a few months ago for 13K, and 7.5 26K before that. Well, prices should be around 10% higher now with pent up demand for this book. A 4.0 should be more like 6.5K and a 5.0 a 10K book. I have not seen any 5.0's sold in the 11K mark yet, but time will tell soon. 2c

Edited by showcase22gr1959