• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HULK # 1 CLUB
21 21

3,619 posts in this topic

On 12/20/2021 at 12:54 PM, farrran said:

Thank you it was enough to pay off my home and then some.  It was first experience selling so I figured go to the best and they have been very easy to work with.

I'm really pleased to hear this.  I think we all hope that if we really need it, these books can deliver value for us.

On 12/20/2021 at 11:35 AM, gadzukes said:

It takes at least 2 people to bid up the auction (unless they are the same person I suppose).  Did anyone see the bidder list?  Can you see how many "different" bidders are bidding it up at the end?

it does not take 2 people, as heritage is permitted by texas law to shill it's offerings. as has been discussed a great deal here on the boards and elsewhere, heritage is alleged to bid on and buy books belonging to jim halperin, the owner of heritage. if this is true, it explains why many, many books sell for much higher there than on other auction sites. 

heritage was sued around a decade ago for this practice as well. if you google 'np gresham heritage auctions' you can find more information. 

On 12/20/2021 at 7:00 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Don't worry you will get your money from HA some people here sometimes take it overboard on the forums. Sometimes they are correct and are been protective to help but HA will get you paid. I truly doubt they will risk a billion dollar++ business for a few comic books. There is no proof until there is proof guilty till proven innocent is the law and past behavior does not mean present behavior.

Would they be willing to risk it on coins or video games?? 

The seller is safe, not one person insinuated that at all, the buyer is who would be at risk. 

On 12/20/2021 at 4:53 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

If all this where true they would be out of business shut down end of story.

All seems fair with Comics and Greed with some of these guys.

Personally I would never consign anything to HA, far too shady in my opinion and lots of collectors get blinded by all the $$$(hyperbolic data points) and sparkling Pedigrees, Ala Promise Collection (Big Money gets your BIG grades, regardless of condition)

I think sticking with the dealers that have given the hobby their blood ,sweat and tears will get you better mileage.....YMMV 

On 12/21/2021 at 12:33 AM, UncleBEN said:

All seems fair with Comics and Greed with some of these guys.

Personally I would never consign anything to HA, far too shady in my opinion and lots of collectors get blinded by all the $$$(hyperbolic data points) and sparkling Pedigrees, Ala Promise Collection (Big Money gets your BIG grades, regardless of condition)

I think sticking with the dealers that have given the hobby their blood ,sweat and tears will get you better mileage.....YMMV 

If I understand you correctly, I don't agree. Selling to a dealer will get you pennies on the dollar. Buying from a dealer will prob get you overpaying.

I've done a lot of business with HA over the last year and found them to be fair and professional. I heard they even had a chance to outright buy the Promise Collection form the family for under $1,000,000 and felt it wasn't the right thing to do. I respect that.

Tho I can't guarantee theres no shill bidding - I assume there is - I've found that plenty of high grade books fly under the radar there. If its not a 9.8, or a key, theres a pretty good chance you'll get a good deal in their Sun/Mon auctions. Just keep your eyes open and you'll find them.

On 12/21/2021 at 8:21 AM, Ozonetv said:

If I understand you correctly, I don't agree. Selling to a dealer will get you pennies on the dollar. Buying from a dealer will prob get you overpaying.

I've done a lot of business with HA over the last year and found them to be fair and professional. I heard they even had a chance to outright buy the Promise Collection form the family for under $1,000,000 and felt it wasn't the right thing to do. I respect that.

Tho I can't guarantee theres no shill bidding - I assume there is - I've found that plenty of high grade books fly under the radar there. If its not a 9.8, or a key, theres a pretty good chance you'll get a good deal in their Sun/Mon auctions. Just keep your eyes open and you'll find them.

I am suggesting consigning with a reputable dealer. I have yet to find a good deal on HA at least for the books I am looking for, but YMMV.

On 12/21/2021 at 10:21 AM, Ozonetv said:

I'll give you an example of a book that I recently got from Heritage.

I purchased a Four Color #386 (essentially Uncle Scrooge #1) CGC 4.5 for $456 in the first week of December. Here are some current Ebay asking prices: CGC 4.0 - $500, CGC 5.0 - $845, and CGC 4.0 - $675. Here are some recent sales on Ebay: CGC 6.0 restored - $495 and CGC 6.0 - $660.

On 12/21/2021 at 12:03 PM, UncleBEN said:

I am suggesting consigning with a reputable dealer. I have yet to find a good deal on HA at least for the books I am looking for, but YMMV.

I feel the same way.... Though I will admit the books I've bid on over the last 10 years have all been pretty desirable ones that get lots of attention. 

Still, it baffles me that even when I've bid over recent sales, I get blown away on HA. 

I gave up on them almost two years ago and rarely look out there any longer. 

On 12/21/2021 at 6:09 PM, KCOComics said:

I feel the same way.... Though I will admit the books I've bid on over the last 10 years have all been pretty desirable ones that get lots of attention. 

Still, it baffles me that even when I've bid over recent sales, I get blown away on HA. 

I gave up on them almost two years ago and rarely look out there any longer. 

They’re a good source for high grade filler books if nothing else.

On 12/21/2021 at 8:21 AM, Ozonetv said:

i have bought and continue to buy books from heritage (and i buy from some dealers too). as @Ozonetv said, some deals can indeed be found there. i dont expect to get deals on keys, and i am still convinced that they have many, many shenanigans there, including shilling when they wish. but if the right book is the right price, i still bid. i just never pre-bid there. if i cannot bid live, then i don't play.

as for selling there, the 20%bp turns me off from selling comics. but i did give them an original frank miller page a few years ago and they got me almost three times their estimate. so i was thrilled. for OA, they do seem like a great place to sell.

one difference between consigning to a dealer and selling at auction is the price you will get when it sells, and the basic methodology of how the final number is gotten to.  Consigning means setting a sell price, and the final amount paid will NEVER be more than you are the dealer think its worth. (or worth plus enough more to give a 15 or 20% discount etc.)  You can never sell for MORE than the asking price.  At auction you gamble --  if theres no demand, you will get less than a fixed consignment sale price. So while your book will sell quickly as opposed to sitting on a dealer site waiting for the right buyer to come along, you can "lose" money.  However, you have the chance of it selling for much more than you would have asked for if you are selling the right book at the right time. Often you make enough on that one big win to cover any losses on the rest of your auction batch of books. I suppose that if youre selling common (non early movie hype) HG stuff a consignment site might be better. The market pretty much has a range that will sell consistently at. So theres less chance it will be fought over by eager bidders at auction netting you the big win.

Well the One big win might make you think that you made money but imagine if you just gave the Big book to heritage and the "common's" to the consignment site.  Then you might win across the board.  

Very few consignor's look at this as an option because they don't plan ahead.  Consignor's are attracted to the advance and the instant gratification of knowing it is all sold.  And if the auction house doesn't meet your expectations do they care?   Not really,  you probably don't have any more books to sell.

And was the "Big win" actually won by bidders or are you just getting the SSW - Seller Shenanigans Win.  

Sure.  Problem with splitting them up is if anyone could identify which book of the batch will see auction frenzy, the consignment dealer/site would up the price and sell it too, rather than the normal estimated price. As I said it’s a gamble that may pay off.  Anyway there’s always been ebb and flow between consignment and auction.  Grass often looks greener on the other side.  

On 12/20/2021 at 10:03 AM, alexgross.com said:

in case you arent reading this thread, a lovely 5.5 just sold for 36k on comicconnect last week. the heritage sale for 60k is indeed quite suspect as @PKJ stated. 

no one is arguing that SA major keys are not hot. but not this hot. 

Looks like Gallo just sold a 3.0 for 25k on ebay.  That puts another support beam under the 60k 5.0 sale and makes it further look like the buyer of the comicconnect 5.5 got a great deal at just the right time.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

I've got a Hulk 1 "remaindered" copy.  It's actually in pretty nice shape except for the torn off top.  I was thinking I'd wait and find a top to leafcast to it, but I think that idea might be gone with the way prices are climbing.

I've never thought of slabbing it, but with prices now...... 

Are remaindered copies considered 1.0s or .5s?

Edited by gadzukes

On 12/24/2021 at 8:58 AM, gadzukes said:

I've got a Hulk 1 "remaindered" copy.  It's actually in pretty nice shape except for the torn off top.  I was thinking I'd wait and find a top to leafcast to it, but I think that idea might be gone with the way prices are climbing.

I've never thought of slabbing it, but with prices now...... 

Are remaindered copies considered 1.0s or .5s?

Most remainder copies I've seen slabbed are .5s 

Edited by KCOComics

On 12/18/2021 at 4:35 PM, DC# said:

Either the buyer of the 5.5 on Comic Connect got a nice deal or the CLink 4.0 buyer above over-shot current value.   The CC copy is a really good looking book.   

6E45C92F-8BD9-46F6-BEA7-762101A82272.thumb.png.fc5aec1d0f533d278e80a96a6e3d09ea.png

https://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fcgc.asp%3F_SORT%3DYES%26id%3D%26to%3D%26priceto%3D%26pricefrom%3D1000%26x%3D25%26y%3D16%26f1%3DListDate%26ODire1%3DDESC%26f2%3Di.Title%26ODire2%3DASC%26f3%3Di.IssueNumber%2C%2Bi.VolumeNumber%26ODire3%3DASC&id=1543664  :popcorn: