• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HULK # 1 CLUB
21 21

3,619 posts in this topic

Just picked up the #1 to complete the run.

IMG_2366_2_1.jpg

Awesome. All look like great presenting copies in grade too.

Thanks all. I do love the run but am bummed that someone trimmed the 5. It is a sharp copy regardless that just didn't need to happen. (tsk)

that's cool...I just recently bought an OO run of Hulk 1-6...fun books for sure (and strangely enough, the owner hit the #5 with a black marker to color in some creases...so it too, is "restored")

Four copies sold last night in the Clink auction:

CGC 6.5 OW-W (old label) = $33,120

CGC 4.0 W = $10,349

CGC 3.5 OW-W = $8,379

CGC 3.0 OW-W = $7,501

Maybe it is me, but these prices (while still strong compared to two years ago) seem to be down a tick from earlier in the year. Is this my imagination?

CGC 4.0 W = $10,349

CGC 3.5 OW-W = $8,379

CGC 3.0 OW-W = $7,501

Maybe it is me, but these prices (while still strong compared to two years ago) seem to be down a tick from earlier in the year. Is this my imagination?

As they should be. the 6.5 seems strong tho.

CGC 4.0 W = $10,349

CGC 3.5 OW-W = $8,379

CGC 3.0 OW-W = $7,501

As they should be. the 6.5 seems strong tho.

Agreed on the 6.5, I meant the 3.0-4.0 copies seemed to have relaxed a touch. I may be misremembering, and don't have GPA, but I thought that 3.5s were getting close to $10,000 for a while.

I'm a little surprised as well with the price of the 3.0 to 4.0. However, I kept thinking that the price was low throughout the auction and that there would be a big bid at then end.

Stronge price on the 6.5 definitely (looks upgradeable)? Maybe the reason why it sold for that much. Yeah the lower graded copies seem low. Perhaps just too many copies for sale in a short period of time? Or maybe eye appeal on one of the lower graded ones was weak? I thought the 4.0 copy was just ok with the tape and how it looks.

Stronge price on the 6.5 definitely (looks upgradeable)? Maybe the reason why it sold for that much. Yeah the lower graded copies seem low. Perhaps just too many copies for sale in a short period of time? Or maybe eye appeal on one of the lower graded ones was weak? I thought the 4.0 copy was just ok with the tape and how it looks.

I thought the eye appeal on all three books on the lower end of the scale was quite good, at a glance anyway (I'm out of the market so I can't claim to have studied the scans). The tape note on the 4.0 may have hurt that book a bit, as may have the dried glue note on the 3.0. The grays on the Hulk are also a bit smudged on the 4.0. But you could do a lot worse on eye appeal in this grade range than these three copies. That 3.0 in particular is quite nice, and looks better to me than the 3.5.

EDIT: On another look I'm wondering if the 3.0 has had some CT scraped off along the very edge of the spine. Even with that the book looks really good for the grade.

RAD4945C201547_8380.jpg

RAD4A0E12015428_14164.jpg

RAD971782015422_153853.jpg

Edited by mysterio

I thought the eye appeal on all three books on the lower end of the scale was quite good, at a glance anyway (I'm out of the market so I can't claim to have studied the scans). The tape note on the 4.0 may have hurt that book a bit, as may have the dried glue note on the 3.0. The grays on the Hulk are also a bit smudged on the 4.0. But you could do a lot worse on eye appeal in this grade range than these three copies. That 3.0 in particular is quite nice, and looks better to me than the 3.5.

RAD4945C201547_8380.jpg

RAD4A0E12015428_14164.jpg

RAD971782015422_153853.jpg

I think the notes on the label surely downplayed the final prices on each book. I wasn't a fan of the 4.0 not only because of the notes, but also the chip at the top of the book, and if you can see the bottom half, it kinda looks a little faded compared to the top.

I used to own the 3.0 with the notes. It used to be a 5.0 with amateur glue on the spine. I guess it was removable.

Price are always going to pull back a bit after a large surge.

I also don't think putting 3 similarly priced / graded copies into one auction is very good for results either as some people can cross over into an either higher or lower grade book, diminishing the bidding pool.

I have a hard time believing someone paid $33K for 'just' a 6.5 - someone was definitely buying the book and not the label.

Price are always going to pull back a bit after a large surge.

I also don't think putting 3 similarly priced / graded copies into one auction is very good for results either as some people can cross over into an either higher or lower grade book, diminishing the bidding pool.

I have a hard time believing someone paid $33K for 'just' a 6.5 - someone was definitely buying the book and not the label.

It is a pretty copy, and an old label to boot.

RAD6C60D2015429_84423.jpg

Yup, someone paid 7.0 money for it and it might even look better. Hard to say without large F+B scans.

It is a pretty copy, and an old label to boot.

RAD6C60D2015429_84423.jpg

:cloud9:

Back when CGC was strict...there aren't too many of these old label beauties left. :cry:

I wonder how the BC looks. With a book of this magnitude, a bc should always be included. Hopefully there aren't any surprises. Certainly looks way better than a 6.5. To me, looks like a 7.5/8.0.

+1

I wonder how the BC looks. With a book of this magnitude, a bc should always be included. Hopefully there aren't any surprises. Certainly looks way better than a 6.5. To me, looks like a 7.5/8.0.

+1

+2

But hopefully anyone dropping that kind of coin would at least call for notes that would hopefully mention any significant BC issues.