• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
17 17

5,143 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Nice eye appeal but $740k man funny books aren't quite so funny :sorry:

Agree..not quite funny. But were funnier when there were three 4.0 blue label TEC27 in the market at once 4-5 years ago and each for all under 300K.

On 3/17/2017 at 11:03 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Tec 29 will close at 45-50K or thereabouts

On 3/17/2017 at 11:35 AM, Gotham Kid said:

The not so nice 3.5 ( much lesser eye appeal ) in the last CC auction closed at 40K. Leroy has since had it pressed and it looks much better now. The 3.0, when compared to the former 3.5, should fetch more.

On 3/17/2017 at 1:57 PM, lou_fine said:

So, if you expect the 'Tec 29 to be in the $45K - $50K range, where do you expect the equally nice presenting 3.0 graded copy of 'Tec 38 to finished up at:

Any chance at all that this 3.0 graded copy here would have a shot at crossing the $30K threshold level since a "not looking any better" CGC 4.0 graded copy of this same book was able to fetch $35K in the last CC auction:

On 3/17/2017 at 2:13 PM, Gotham Kid said:

The 4.0 had no tape while the 3.0 does. Better PQ too. If the 3.0 ends up at 25K I'd figure it'd be a fair price. (8K/point)

I'll take a 38 any day. (thumbsu

Even though we all know that the pre-Robin 'Tec's have been pretty much the hottest books in the marketplace the past few years along with the classic cover books, are you really saying that a 'Tec 29 is now worth pretty much double what a 'Tec 38 is worth in equivalent condition grade?  ???

I've always been a firm believer that the market tends to move in cycles such as from the mainstream publishers to the heat that we are now seeing with some of the 2nd and 3rd tier publishers.  It's just that the pre-Robin 'Tec's have been hot for an extended period of time now, while the old long-time traditional keys, outside of the big 4, have been rather tepid to say the least and just starting to show signs of life on a seemingly one-by-one basis.  Seems to have started with the Wonder Woman trio of keys and then to the More Fun 73, although both of these definitely got the big push from their movie related hype.  Seems that there is quite a bit of interest in All-Star 3 now (with a "not the best looking" 6.5 graded copy already at $30.5K and a 7.0 graded copy going for $69K in the last CC auction) and the Big Red Cheese in terms of Whiz 2.  hm

I have always loved the cover for 'Tec 29 and put it right up there almost with 'Tec 31, although I believe the former is definitely a lot tougher to find.  :cloud9:   With this long awaited seeming move back to the previously out of favor traditional keys, I believe we are also starting to see signs of life in 'Tec 38 which was at one time either the 2nd or 3rd biggest Batman book in the entire Detective run.  So, I would agree with your assessment that it is definitely a good book to have, especially from a valuation point of view going forward as it seems to have a lot of gas left to burn in its tank.  (thumbsu  :luhv:

On 15/3/2017 at 3:44 AM, lou_fine said:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/March-1940-Detective-Comics-DC-37-Batman-Unrestored-Ungraded-Complete-NR-/222437898860?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&autorefresh=true&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=L4piMNayj7yABWfHL6GzNd6RKk0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

On 14/3/2017 at 9:21 PM, rainmaker said:

theres a raw 37 on ebay up for auction currently.  its not the copy for me but those looking for an entry level complete copy may want to have a look.  probably would grade out a 1.0.

From that gawd awful bottom spine and the piece out of the front cover, it looks much closer to a 0.5 Poop lol as opposed to a 1.0 Fair.  (shrug)

Not sure about the price though, might be alright since these entry level pre-Robin 'Tec's are indeed going for crazy money in today's marketplace.  hm

$5050

Wow !

http://www.ebay.com/itm/March-1940-Detective-Comics-DC-37-Batman-Unrestored-Ungraded-Complete-NR-/222437898860?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&autorefresh=true&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=L4piMNayj7yABWfHL6GzNd6RKk0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

34 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Goes to show you the financial disadvantages of getting a book graded and slabbed sometimes when it is in a real POS condition, as this is not the first time I have seen similar ungraded POS books like this fetch insane amounts of dollars, relative to their overall visual appearance.  :screwy:

Edited by lou_fine

The in current CC auction:

Coverless copy of Tec #35 in a Voldemort slab is up to $2,900.

Coverless copy of Tec #36 in a Voldemort slab, with no Batman artwork displayed, $2,105.

The desire for this run appears to be stronger than ever, to the point in which collectors are breaking the bank to acquire copies in virtually any condition.

Edited by Wayne-Tec

5 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Coverless copy of Tec #36 in a Voldemort slab, with no Batman artwork displayed, $2,105.

Yes, but the raw looking much worse copy with the big chunk chewed out from the bottom right of the book is going for double that amount of money on eBay:screwy:

Aahhhh....the virtues of selling your books raw and ungraded.  lol

Just now, lou_fine said:

Yes, but the raw looking much worse copy with the big chunk chewed out from the bottom right of the book is going for double that amount of money on eBay.  :screwy:

Link?

23 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:
24 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, but the raw looking much worse copy with the big chunk chewed out from the bottom right of the book is going for double that amount of money on eBay.  :screwy:

Link?

Here you go:

3 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

35 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

The in current CC auction:

The desire for this run appears to be stronger than ever, to the point in which collectors are breaking the bank to acquire copies in virtually any condition.

Although the two coverless copies are interesting, I am much more interested in where the 3.0 graded copy of 'Tec 29 and 3.0 graded copy of 'Tec 38 in this current  CC auction are going to finish up at, since both of them seem to visually present much nicer than their assigned grades.

Of particular interest is that both of these 3.0 slabbed copies were graded back in the summer of 2016 which was clearly an extremely tight grading period, as evident by scans of several GA books which we have seen on the boards here.  hm

48 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

I would've thought $3k tops on the Tec 37 ebay copy.

I followed the dying seconds and it was up to around that with like 10s to go. I must say I was surprised at final hammer given overall look and condition of the book. Chewed out, slight to brittle pages :eek:

Edited by Gotham Kid

3 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

I followed the dying seconds and it was up to around that with like 10s to go. I must say I was surprised at final hammer given overall look and condition of the book. Chewed out, slight to brittle pages :eek:

The eBay auction format encourages last second sniping and this sometimes definitely results in some crazy prices if you get 2 bidders that decide to toss some silly number out there with no idea that it would actually hit that high mark.  :flipbait:   :censored:

Quite a bit different strategy than the CC auction with extended time bidding which eliminates the need for last second sniping and allows potential bidders additional time to take a more measured and thoughtful approach to their bids.  Of course, this approach could also result in high prices if you have more than one aggressive bidder out there, but at least they would have fair warning and know in advance that their next bid is going to be a direct hit to their wallet, instead of a pie in the sky hope that their snipe bid might not actually go that high.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

Yep was also thinking about the slight to brittle pages as well.  Certainly looks like it, but was not mentioned.  Buyer might be in for a rude awakening.

42 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Yep was also thinking about the slight to brittle pages as well.  Certainly looks like it, but was not mentioned.  Buyer might be in for a rude awakening.

Tons of pictures shown , is obvious to see, so I say buyer beware it's all there 

16 minutes ago, fishbone said:

Tons of pictures shown , is obvious to see, so I say buyer beware it's all there 

Folks are desperate to get whatever books that can be had. I see more risks taken on raw/brittle books more and more each day. The front cover of that 37 was all there, and that was enough for someone. 

17 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
18 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Well, I guess this pretty much makes every single one of the early Detective Comics issues in CC's upcoming auction this coming Wednesday look dirt cheap and like a bargain basement deal in comparison.  :takeit:  :takeit:  :takeit:  :whee:

Edited by lou_fine

So with these prices seemingly at such a high, I would like the ideas from other collectors who "play in this sandbox" way more often than I do: Is this the time to sell any Pre Robin Detectives or buy them before they go even higher, or just wait and watch?  Would love to know the opinions of Gotham Kid, Gator, LouFine, Primetime, Dark Knight, WayneTech and you other guys!