• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,101 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

Detective 34's went cheap tonight or is the book that dead?

The restored copy ( my former copy ) could have gone higher. The 1.0 I think went for an ok price given appeal and PQ.

Edited by Gotham Kid

5 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Lost the 36 4.0 to snipe bid.

What value did you have on that 4.0?  It looked like a super nice 4.0 to me.  I expected close to $20k.  Even if it was a Voldemort slab....

10 minutes ago, Doc67 said:

What value did you have on that 4.0?  It looked like a super nice 4.0 to me.  I expected close to $20k.  Even if it was a Voldemort slab....

13-15K. Tape, detached centerfold and cover fade detract even though overall nice copy.

Edited by Gotham Kid

9 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

Detective 34's went cheap tonight or is the book that dead?

IMHO, this was a great auction for buyers.  Bad for sellers.  I wish that I had more cash last night.  Almost everything that I was watching went for way less than I expected.  Is it the Berk collection?  Can the market just not handle this quantity of material being dumped at once?  I don't know.  But HA did not have great results on many, many books.  And now, CLink follows it up with more unexpectedly low hammers.  

I saw a Tec 122 8.0 sell for $5600 last night, when a raw 2.0 just sold at HA for $2250.  Or a 4.0 Tec 36 at $13.7k when CC just got $15k for a 3.0 that didn't look as good.  And that is an insane price difference.  Or the Tec 30 3.5 at $1100 per point when one just sold at CC for $1450.  Yeah the PQ was better on that one.  But does PQ increase FMV by 1/3?  I thought it was 10% +/-.

I bought the Tec 32 last night.  It was one of the few books that hit its potential.  It ended exactly where I expected.  And the Tec 33 and 42 were the other books that did as I expected.  

Personally, I thought the Tec 34 1.0 ended low as well, given that an 0.5 incomplete book just sold for $1155 on eBay last week.  I expected $1200-1500 on the Tec 34 1.0 at CLink.

2 hours ago, Doc67 said:

IMHO, this was a great auction for buyers.  Bad for sellers.  I wish that I had more cash last night.  Almost everything that I was watching went for way less than I expected.  Is it the Berk collection?  Can the market just not handle this quantity of material being dumped at once?  I don't know.  But HA did not have great results on many, many books.  And now, CLink follows it up with more unexpectedly low hammers.  

I saw a Tec 122 8.0 sell for $5600 last night, when a raw 2.0 just sold at HA for $2250.  Or a 4.0 Tec 36 at $13.7k when CC just got $15k for a 3.0 that didn't look as good.  And that is an insane price difference.  Or the Tec 30 3.5 at $1100 per point when one just sold at CC for $1450.  Yeah the PQ was better on that one.  But does PQ increase FMV by 1/3?  I thought it was 10% +/-.

I bought the Tec 32 last night.  It was one of the few books that hit its potential.  It ended exactly where I expected.  And the Tec 33 and 42 were the other books that did as I expected.  

Personally, I thought the Tec 34 1.0 ended low as well, given that an 0.5 incomplete book just sold for $1155 on eBay last week.  I expected $1200-1500 on the Tec 34 1.0 at CLink.

Berk Effect. A rare meteorological event that comes once in a lifetime and overwhelms everything in its recent past and recent future.

3 hours ago, Doc67 said:

Yeah the PQ was better on that one.  But does PQ increase FMV by 1/3?  I thought it was 10% +/-.

Yes with ultra high end books like pre-robins it looks like the spread is widening, pq and overall presentation brings noticeably higher numbers.  Look at an AF 15 with chipping or less than ow/w vs a clean copy in the same grade.  Same with recent tec 33 results.  

1 hour ago, Zolnerowich said:

Berk Effect. A rare meteorological event that comes once in a lifetime and overwhelms everything in its recent past and recent future.

I know I held off on a few in the clink auction and am looking forward to mid june.

8 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

13-15K. Tape, detached centerfold and cover fade detract even though overall nice copy.

Excellent call on the cover fade.  The interior tape and detached centerfold wouldn't hurt it in my book.  But that cover fading completely eluded me.  Once I put that book next to similar graded copy on HA, It was obviously a desirability-killer.  Glad that I didn't pull the trigger on what I thought was a steal.  

48 minutes ago, Doc67 said:

Excellent call on the cover fade.  The interior tape and detached centerfold wouldn't hurt it in my book.  But that cover fading completely eluded me.  Once I put that book next to similar graded copy on HA, It was obviously a desirability-killer.  Glad that I didn't pull the trigger on what I thought was a steal.  

The Voldemort holder was probably the biggest detriment for that 36.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

9 hours ago, Doc67 said:

Possible, but also possible that some books have been run up to levels that are tough to sustain.  

15 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Possible, but also possible that some books have been run up to levels that are tough to sustain.  

Precisely - CLink prices were strong in other areas, so the "Berk theory" is dubious at best.

Looking at my archives found that the 35 just auctioned on ComicLink went for $34,333 last year. Buyer had book re-subbed (likely crack/press) only to come back same grade and sell for $30,009 minus the 10% minus grading costs.

http://comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp&id=1174733

http://comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp&id=1138472

Edited by Gotham Kid

6 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Looking at my archives found that the 35 just auctioned on ComicLink went for $34,333 last year. Buyer had book re-subbed (likely crack/press) only to come back same grade and sell for $30,009 minus the 10% minus grading costs.

http://comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp&id=1174733

http://comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp&id=1138472

Ouch ...

On 6/1/2017 at 3:36 PM, Zolnerowich said:

+1

Would definitely agree with this point as the last Heritage Auction had a huge number of books that fell far below what I was expecting.

With some of them even failing to hit condition guide prices which is definitely not the norm when it comes to nicely graded GA books. 

On 6/1/2017 at 4:22 PM, Sqeggs said:

On 6/1/2017 at 4:38 PM, sacentaur said:

Precisely - CLink prices were strong in other areas, so the "Berk theory" is dubious at best.

Hi sacentaur: you mention that CLink prices were strong in other areas. Any books you could cite as examples? I was following some of the Planets and Foxes, and those prices were above guide but certainly not crazy.