• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,101 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, sacentaur said:

One thing to remember is that Bob Storms does not impose restrictions on his consignors like some other dealers do.

So the fellow shopping around the Larson 'Tec 37 can ask whatever price he wants, including twice what it had recently sold for in auction, no matter how bad that looks (and make no mistake, it does look greedily bad).

With Jon Berk selling off, no one is a bigger Larson fan/collector than me but I am not interested in that particular book at all at that price, especially knowing who the seller is (and as noted above, he tried to peddle the book here unsuccessfully, plus his exposed shilling history is something I personally won't tolerate).

Great book, but no sale. This is not HighGradeComics fault of course, but the consignor's fault.

(thumbsu

I guess Tec 8 is pre-Robin (and also, of course, pre-Batman! :))  I figured the CGC 8.0 would easily crack $10K, but it didn't quite make it.  Makes me wish I had bid higher. 

48 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I guess Tec 8 is pre-Robin (and also, of course, pre-Batman! :))  I figured the CGC 8.0 would easily crack $10K, but it didn't quite make it.  Makes me wish I had bid higher. 

For me the big turn off was the poor registration.

12 hours ago, batman_fan said:

For me the big turn off was the poor registration.

Yes, I'm sure that was it, and I guess it really may have been a case of buying the book not the label.  Still surprised me that it went well below the Billy Wright 7.5 copy.

Here's something interesting for all you pre-Robin Tec fans.

I was perusing Comic Book Plus, looking at Jumbo Comics #1. September 1938. Here is page 1 of Peter Pupp, by none other than Bob Kane.

Check out panel #7. Remind you of anything? I suppose self-swiping isn't such a fault...

2.thumb.jpg.2cbbe0b55d213a0a47fe5cfc496844c7.jpg

17 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

I'm a little confused as to why CGC didn't designate this as an "Incomplete" due to the back cover missing?!?!

Can someone explain? I've seen some books (back cover missing) graded the same with an "Incomplete" designation. 

1 hour ago, BM Cruz said:

I'm a little confused as to why CGC didn't designate this as an "Incomplete" due to the back cover missing?!?!

Can someone explain? I've seen some books (back cover missing) graded the same with an "Incomplete" designation. 

Good catch!  Dunno why either.  I have a book with a small coupon clipped out and it got incomplete on the label.. 

17 hours ago, BM Cruz said:

It does have an "incomplete" notation on the label.   It's a 0.5, the grade can't get any lower than that. lol If it had the back cover it would probably have been a ~3.5.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

4 minutes ago, BM Cruz said:

I don't see it....

"Back cover missing".  

Six of one half dozen of another, and more descriptive than simply saying "incomplete", no? It's a new label too, maybe that has something to do with it.

-J.

46 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

"Back cover missing".  

Six of one half dozen of another, and more descriptive than simply saying "incomplete", no? It's a new label too, maybe that has something to do with it.

-J.

I'd say it's misleading if "Incomplete" isn't noted. I hear what you're saying but newbies wouldn't distinguish this fact and say otherwise. 

Maybe you're right.... the new label doesn't note "Incomplete" for some "incomplete" reason! lol

Really the back cover is missing i think that clearly says it's incomplete.  My guess it that they only put incomplete when interior things are missing which cant be seen.

James G