• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,101 posts in this topic

I do see the book you're looking at. It's a rather beat up copy, but if you're comparing to other recent sale prices, I think that's about fair. (thumbs u

Thanks, I was wondering if it is worth getting a beat up copy like the 1.0 or wait for another copy in better condition. However, if I pass up on this book for a "better" condition copy then one may not come up for sale for sometime at a reasonable price.

Can anyone confirm that the 1.5 actually sold for 25 k on eBay? My gut is that there is a growing hunger for these Pre-robins that goes well outside the incredibly knowledgeable collectors on these boards and they are paying higher prices for them. This tec 31 is a good example (if the sale is real). The tec 36 4.5 in the last heritage went for a little over 10k, which seems like a new high price. If a lower grade (.5-2.5) tec 35 or tec 31 blue label went to auction, I think people would go nuts.

Agreed! The demand doesn't seem to be cooling off anytime soon

I do see the book you're looking at. It's a rather beat up copy, but if you're comparing to other recent sale prices, I think that's about fair. (thumbs u

Thanks, I was wondering if it is worth getting a beat up copy like the 1.0 or wait for another copy in better condition. However, if I pass up on this book for a "better" condition copy then one may not come up for sale for sometime at a reasonable price.

Link? (shrug)

If you decide to pass on the book, I'd consider it. hm

Link? (shrug)

Looks like someone scooped it up already since I posted. I was going to pass up on it and provide a link for you, but the book is now gone. :sorry:

Guilty. :eek:

I called them up and when I found out that no one had put a hold on it, I made a move.

Link? (shrug)

Looks like someone scooped it up already since I posted. I was going to pass up on it and provide a link for you, but the book is now gone. :sorry:

I called them up and when I found out that no one had put a hold on it, I made a move.

Free game I suppose, but not the world's greatest board etiquette.

Link? (shrug)

Free game I suppose, but not the world's greatest board etiquette.

It was not and I accept full responsibility for that.

I've PM'd the original poster to apologize, which I understand doesn't excuse anything. Had he or anyone else been certain in their interest, I would have respectfully backed off. I'm not saying that's an excuse, I'm just saying that I made the move taking into consideration that he expressed some hesitance (I didn't have any) and because no one made any moves to put the book on hold, or to make the commitment that I was willing to make.

Again, not an excuse and I have to take the bad etiquette move squarely on my shoulders.

I've PM'd the original poster to apologize, which I understand doesn't excuse anything. Had he or anyone else been certain in their interest, I would have respectfully backed off. I'm not saying that's an excuse, I'm just saying that I made the move taking into consideration that he expressed some hesitance (I didn't have any) and because no one made any moves to put the book on hold, or to make the commitment that I was willing to make.

Again, not an excuse and I have to take the bad etiquette move squarely on my shoulders.

The book went to a good home and I am happy for it. I was on the fence about the book, and it's fine that a fellow board member who is a BIG pre-Robin Detective fan picked it up. :thumbsup:

The book went to a good home and I am happy for it. I was on the fence about the book, and it's fine that a fellow board member who is a BIG pre-Robin Detective fan picked it up. :thumbsup:

Thanks for being so understanding. :)

It was good chatting with you today. (thumbs u

I spoke was Paradise Comics store manager Doug Simpson today and I must say -- the customer service was top-notch. They were kind enough to put the Detective Comics #36 on hold for me and to give me up to 30 days to pay for the book in full. I've paid for over 90% of it so far, just about $100 away. These guys are professional, patient, great to talk to and fantastic to work with. I'm pretty excited about this book! :cloud9:

Edited by Wayne-Tec

So this book was on the wall in Chicago so imo it was fair game. I didnt see it but would likely have bought it. Just because it was mentioned here doesnt mean a book at a show is somehow promised to anyone specific.

Unless i missed something wayne-tec is fine

James G

I received my entry-ticket back into the Pre-Robin Tec Club today:

detectivecomics3610.jpg

Detective Comics #36 is an incredibly tough book to track down unrestored.

A 4.0 copy sold for a little under 7K all the way back last November.

A 4.5 copy sold for over 10K recently on Heritage. :o

I never in my wildest dreams would have believed that a complete CGC blue label copy would be a possibility for me. They are just too tough to track down and incredibly pricey in the rare instances when they are made available.

In terms of unrestored copies...

There are absolutely no 1.5 copies, only one 1.8, one 2.0 and one 2.5.

My copy is the only 1.0 on the census.

There are some pieces missing out of the front and back cover, which is what brought such a sharp looking copy down to the 1.0 grade.

Otherwise...

*The cover inks are incredibly vibrant, like that of a high grade copy.

*The page quality is OFF-WHITE to WHITE.

It's really the ideal low grade book, presents beautifully with parts so well preserved that it brings you all the way back to the very beginning of 1940 when it hit the newsstands.

The content is unbelievable as well...

*Origin and 1st appearance of Hugo Strange.

*1st time Batman wears his trademark "finned" gloves.

*4th appearance of Commissioner Gordon.

*6th cover appearance of Batman.

If you go back and read the original story, they did an incredible job of illustrating Hugo Strange. Being Batman's "1st major villain" according to the OSPG, it is clear that they were aiming for something different in this issue. In many ways, it's the first book to portray the Batman we know today. He wasn't fighting petty crooks, mad scientists (Dr. Death was far more one-dimensional than Strange), vampires, werewolves or racial stereotypes. They introduced a formidable villain within a city that felt a lot more like the Gotham City we'd later become familiar with.

Unlike Detective Comics #37 which is a partial cover-swipe from the interior story of Detective Comics #28, the cover for Detective Comics #36 appears to be original -- showcasing Batman prominently.

I can understand why this book has become so hot lately -- I'm just very fortunate to have been able to pick up one of the few blue label slabs in existence, not to mention a copy that presents so well with such nice PQ.

I'm psyched! :headbang:

I received my entry-ticket back into the Pre-Robin Tec Club today:

detectivecomics3610.jpg

Detective Comics #36 is an incredibly tough book to track down unrestored.

A 4.0 copy sold for a little under 7K all the way back last November.

A 4.5 copy sold for over 10K recently on Heritage. :o

I never in my wildest dreams would have believed that a complete CGC blue label copy would be a possibility for me. They are just too tough to track down and incredibly pricey in the rare instances when they are made available.

In terms of unrestored copies...

There are absolutely no 1.5 copies, only one 1.8, one 2.0 and one 2.5.

My copy is the only 1.0 on the census.

There are some pieces missing out of the front and back cover, which is what brought such a sharp looking copy down to the 1.0 grade.

Otherwise...

*The cover inks are incredibly vibrant, like that of a high grade copy.

*The page quality is OFF-WHITE to WHITE.

It's really the ideal low grade book, presents beautifully with parts so well preserved that it brings you all the way back to the very beginning of 1940 when it hit the newsstands.

The content is unbelievable as well...

*Origin and 1st appearance of Hugo Strange.

*1st time Batman wears his trademark "finned" gloves.

*4th appearance of Commissioner Gordon.

*6th cover appearance of Batman.

If you go back and read the original story, they did an incredible job of illustrating Hugo Strange. Being Batman's "1st major villain" according to the OSPG, it is clear that they were aiming for something different in this issue. In many ways, it's the first book to portray the Batman we know today. He wasn't fighting petty crooks, mad scientists (Dr. Death was far more one-dimensional than Strange), vampires, werewolves or racial stereotypes. They introduced a formidable villain within a city that felt a lot more like the Gotham City we'd later become familiar with.

Unlike Detective Comics #37 which is a partial cover-swipe from the interior story of Detective Comics #28, the cover for Detective Comics #36 appears to be original -- showcasing Batman prominently.

I can understand why this book has become so hot lately -- I'm just very fortunate to have been able to pick up one of the few blue label slabs in existence, not to mention a copy that presents so well with such nice PQ.

I'm psyched! :headbang:

I'm so jealous. I've been looking for a similar copy for a while now. That is such a great book to have. Awesome pick up!