• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,101 posts in this topic

Congratulations on getting back into the pre-Robin club. It's great to see Doug helping out a fellow board member and the book being in good hands. :thumbsup:

He was great to work with. :)

Big thanks to Doug and Paradise Comics. :golfclap:

$14-$15k?

That sounds about right to me, too.

Just a FYI that book was on Clink for sale 2 days before it was removed and put in the auction. It had an asking of 17k and was bid up to 14.6k before it was removed and made it's way into the auction.

$14-$15k?

That sounds about right to me, too.

Just a FYI that book was on Clink for sale 2 days before it was removed and put in the auction. It had an asking of 17k and was bid up to 14.6k before it was removed and made it's way into the auction.

Thanks! I might or might not have been the guy offering that. I am actually glad its in auction since there is another book or two im interested in this very same auction. Decisions, decisions.

I will probably bid up around the same amount if i dont win the other book.

Does anyone know the history on this? It was mentioned in another thread that this and the other early TECS may have had detached covers that were recently fixed with tape. Im not going to bid. There arent many of these and I dont want to own one with a scarlet letter attached to it.

Well according to CGC tape isn't considered restoration. I'd be happy just to get an affordable pre-Robin Tec and if the tape bothers some people than I'll have a better shot at getting an unrestored Pre-Robin Tec! EJR

Well according to CGC tape isn't considered restoration. I'd be happy just to get an affordable pre-Robin Tec and if the tape bothers some people than I'll have a better shot at getting an unrestored Pre-Robin Tec! EJR

If tape was used to improve the grade, is it really unrestored?

If a kid taped it in the 40s, is it really restoration?

there in lies the issue...can tape really improve a grade (shrug)

I assume you are joking?

CGC says yes.

CGC says yes.

Yup, but think most people would agree this practice should stop. See my proposed solution and poll in the "The BIGGEST problems in the hobby right now" thread in Comics General, on page 11 of that thread (under default posts per page settings). Here's a link to that thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5941522&fpart=11

If anyone has a better idea for a way that CGC could close this silly loop hole (that allows for higher grades by adding tape), in a fair way, given the precedent that they have set on this issue, I'd love to hear what you have to say in that thread, or here. I'm personally getting tired of seeing more and more books with detached covers get grade bumps after the cover is reattached with tape. :insane: